Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2010, 05:33 AM
lectoid
Is that really you?

Re: Underworld to appear on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on 2010-10-26
As I was watching the show last night. I wondered if people new to Underworld might think they're a religious band. With "heaven" so heavily used in ALAF. There are a few other songs they sing that could be confused as having a religious meaning.

But I enjoyed it. I noticed at the end when the Roots started playing, Rick reached for the controls. I was wondering if they were going to jam, but I'm sure testudo would have said something in his review.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:12 AM
the-star-samurai
never to part this sky

I was too tired to stay up to watch this. Plus I don't really know Jimmy Fallon, so for a moment I thought they were going on Jimmy Kimmel. Too sleepyyyyyy.

But watched it just now - I had to skip through the full episode since it wasn't a highlight on the site. And it was awesome~ at the end too, Jimmy was dancing with Karl.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

It's uploading now in HD to the Born Dirty Facebook page, but there was an audio sync problem the first time I uploaded it. I'm too tired to stay up now, so it'll finish uploading again in about 30 minutes and either be fine or the audio will be screwed again, and I'll have to try again in the morning.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:15 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-star-samurai View Post
And it was awesome~ at the end too, Jimmy was dancing with Karl.
it was... but i think it was in jest of Karl. Jimmy had a few off air comments as well, simulating bass sounds from his mouth. making funny of the Band bench people as they went back to their original seats "hey look at this guy", "look at these guys"

I was reminded of a quote Karl used to say around the Beaucoup Fish era about people becoming a caricature of themselves when they become a celebrity/famous... Jimmy has definitely gone there for me. He'll never be the guy break dancing to Billy Joel at Bar 13 (Shout) NYC to 10 people on a Sunday spring night EVER again. (2003-2004ish)

Last edited by testudo; 10-27-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typos, etc
Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 AM
lectoid
Is that really you?

Well, I wouldn't take what Jimmy said with a grain of salt considering how enthralled he was with Huey Lewis.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 AM
testudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectoid View Post
I noticed at the end when the Roots started playing, Rick reached for the controls. I was wondering if they were going to jam, but I'm sure testudo would have said something in his review.
Since they tried to start playing so many times, I think Rick was more than ready and very rehearsed.

My wife and myself discussed for sometime how cool would it be if the roots jammed with UW, but underworld were quickly shoved on and off after they played. I think the NBC staff were not to happy with the UW's technical difficulties since they cause a delay for the extra activities for the audience... Huey Lewis played an extra song for the Jimmy website, and there was an audience laugh track recording for the Women of SNL special next week.

Last edited by testudo; 10-27-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: details baby, details
Old 10-27-2010, 07:36 AM
testudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectoid View Post
Well, I wouldn't take what Jimmy said with a grain of salt considering how enthralled he was with Huey Lewis.
HE LOVES HUEY, I watched him sing along to ever Huey song!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 AM
nosajmunson
All day zombie cafe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by testudo View Post
My review, I was in the first row of the main audience (I did not get the band bench tickets)

-Contrary to twitter, pr, etc... before UW started at all, my wife and I mouth read comments that Jimmy said to Huey Lewis about Underworld not being a "real band and musicians" like him (Huey) and The Roots. wow, ignorance.

The Look on Huey's face as UW finished up was priceless. Like a deer in the head lights, old man thinking to himself "These kids nowadays and their crazy music, when I was a kid...."
He just seemed shocked I guess.

By the way, nice review from in the trenches, on the scene.

Last edited by nosajmunson; 10-27-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM
testudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajmunson View Post

The Look on Huey's face as UW finished up was priceless. Like a deer in the head lights, old man thinking to himself "These kids nowadays and their crazy music, when I was a kid...."
He just seemed shocked I guess.

By the way, nice review from in the trenches, on the scene.
The funny thing my wife and I talked about was how people didn't know how old Karl and Rick are... like Huey: these are your contemporaries, they evolved and grew tremendously as musicians... GET WITH IT
Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 AM
nosajmunson
All day zombie cafe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by testudo View Post
The funny thing my wife and I talked about was how people didn't know how old Karl and Rick are... like Huey: these are your contemporaries, they evolved and grew tremendously as musicians... GET WITH IT
No doubt. Karl and Huey met for the first time in daycare just after '"The War".
Actually, I bet if you really dug deep into the early 80's, you could probably find some club where Freur played and then Huey & The News played within the same month.

The Heart of Rock N Roll is still beating......In Essex.....with a drum machine.