Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2007, 08:25 PM
grady
fac321

Battlestar Galactica
Who watches it around here? I know there are some.

After a cursory search, I only found a mention here or there, but no actually thread. This is a pretty damn enjoyable show.

Last spring when I came down with mono I watched the mini-series again and the first season while I was laid out sick and sleeping. Then this past fall I burned through season 2 in about a week and half in light of Season 3 starting up. I'm pretty sucked into the show at the moment and it's drawing to a conclusion for season 3 with the next two episodes airing this sunday and next sunday.

Now I can imagine just the subject line alone of this thread could merit the scoffs and disregards from users, but I urge everyone to give a few of the episodes a spin.

The show was completely revamped from it's late 70's predecessor. No longer are the cylons just goofy looking silver robots, but rather they're closer to the replicant's of Blade Runner, not machine, but human. (Rest assured, there are silver robot cylons stomping and clomping around, but they're far more menacing and evil looking now.)

Additionally, there is a lot of nice little allegorical allusions to present political tensions throughout the world and the addressing of very simple issues that you otherwise wouldn't see in most science fiction. Very basic issues as the need for more fuel, water, or food, for a small remaining populous of humans that have been displaced and no longer have a planet to call home. But while trying to address these needs you have this relentless army of machines hellbent on the destruction of the human race.

One final note, I went to middle school and high school with Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) here in Portland, Oregon. Its kind of odd to see someone I knew growing up on TV.

Last edited by grady; 03-18-2007 at 10:46 PM.