Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:40 AM
grady
fac321

Paul Auster
Holy Hell!

My new addiction!

I love finding authors work that I get sucked into!

A fellow dirt had recommended Leviathan to me a few years back and I had come across Auster's name here an there but never paying attention, until now.

Holy shit do I owe that person an apology!

The past five books I've read(City of Glass, Ghost, The Locked Room, Leviathan, Mr. Vertigo) have been Auster books! I've hit that point similar to what occured when I first stumbled across the work of Haruki Murakami. It's like an addiction. The only fix is more work from the author in question. It doesn't necessarily matter if it's in chronological order of authorship or publication, but that does help, just more is all that matters.

With Mr. Auster I've kept things pretty chronological in the order of publication, but I can't wait to get to the next book.

Any other dirts out there read any of his work?!

Last edited by grady; 03-31-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:45 PM
winjer
mouseman

Re: Paul Auster
We're on a very similar litereary sphere.... my addiction to Murakami a couple years ago was definatley only really broken by Auster novels...

The New York Trilogy is definatley my fave... any reason you didn't read The Locked Room? Typically I see the three published together....

Not sure about his latest couple.... his most recent has gotten pretty awful reviews, so I've stayed away.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjer
We're on a very similar litereary sphere.... my addiction to Murakami a couple years ago was definatley only really broken by Auster novels...

The New York Trilogy is definatley my fave... any reason you didn't read The Locked Room? Typically I see the three published together....

Not sure about his latest couple.... his most recent has gotten pretty awful reviews, so I've stayed away.
I made a small mistake in the initial post and switched The Locked Room with Music of Chance. It should've been The Locked Room initially.

That makes me worried knowing his last few have gotten pretty awful reviews. I've been trying to avoid reading the reviews of his novels until I've finished them.

I just recently picked up this book, Collected Prose of Paul Auster. Should be fun to get into.

winjer, if you have the chance, it's worth tracking down this issue of the Paris Review, it's the 50th anniversary issue that was published right after the death of George Plimpton, the magazines editor, but it also features an interview with Paul Auster as part of the magazine's Art of Fiction interview collection.

And on that note, I gotta put in a mention of the Paris Review's interview with Haruki Murakami in the Summer of 2004 issue. Like the Auster interview, it's a part of the Art of Fiction interview series. The Murakami interview is a great read as it gets into almost all of his work including Kafka on the Shore which hadn't been published in the states as of the issues publication in the summer of 04.

What kind of other stuff have you been reading?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:17 AM
myshkin
mouseman

I've greatly enjoyed Murakami's Wind-Up Bird and Kafka on the Shore, and will soon start Wild Sheep Chase. A stranger to Auster till now. Any chance, Grady, you could reproduce the Murakami Paris Review article here?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:17 AM
GforGroove
marca libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjer
Mine for Auster only broken by Murakami ...

g: you have to read Leviathan.. that is for me the most incredible novel by Auster..!!
Forget it..you read it.. Amazing huh?

Also.. have you seen the movies Blue in the face an Smoke? He co-directed those and you have Harvey Keithel and Jim Jarmush and all on it.. bet you like it

Last edited by GforGroove; 04-01-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:11 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin
I've greatly enjoyed Murakami's Wind-Up Bird and Kafka on the Shore, and will soon start Wild Sheep Chase. A stranger to Auster till now. Any chance, Grady, you could reproduce the Murakami Paris Review article here?
Give me a couple days, a co-worker has it so I need to get it back from her and then a day or two to scan all the pages and make a pdf file.

Thursday or Friday hopefully.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:54 AM
myshkin
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady
Give me a couple days, a co-worker has it so I need to get it back from her and then a day or two to scan all the pages and make a pdf file.

Thursday or Friday hopefully.
Oops, sounds like I've put you to more trouble than expected. Thought you'd bought it from site, and it'd just be a simple case of copy and pasting. Will of course understand you're not going to all that trouble...I doubt I would.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:49 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin
Oops, sounds like I've put you to more trouble than expected. Thought you'd bought it from site, and it'd just be a simple case of copy and pasting. Will of course understand you're not going to all that trouble...I doubt I would.
No, no trouble at all. Just a bit of time. I picked up a second copy of that issue at Powells books yesterday for $6 dollars so I don't feel bad about cracking the spine all the way open.

Additionally, the staff at the Review have been somewhat slow in the conversion of interviews and hasn't really posted anything new since finishing the 70's last spring.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:40 PM
winjer
mouseman

Thanks a bunch for the links... I'm gonna have to throw out a reccomendation, as it's a cool new book with a bit of an Auster/Murakami vibe... anyway, I ripped through it and completley reccomend...

Tom McCarthy - Remainder

An unnamed narrator is a survivor of an unspecified celestial incident (something falls from the sky and hits him on the head?) that results in the loss of his memory... he becomes increasingly obsessed with restaging the events contained within the small flashes of memory he does have... and the book just takes off from there... full of those identity games we all love.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:02 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I'm going to Nobles today.