Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > interupt.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2008, 03:05 PM
cacophony
disquietude

spore
anyone playing this yet? not even 2 hours through the door and we're already having a problem. EA claims you can have multiple spore accounts on a single install but we can't find a way to make this happen. whatever is the account used to register the game, that's the one you're stuck in.

i've done a bit of googling and although it looks like lots of other people are having this problem, it doesn't seem like anyone has figured out a solution yet. anyone else give this a whirl with successful results?

it's frustrating. we bought this primarily for me but my husband installed and and put in his EA account info for registration just out of habit. now i can't get into my spore account and access any of my creatures. and if i want to play online i have to be logged in as him. unless there's a secret trick to getting a second account to log on that i'm just not finding.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Jan
vision

Re: spore
Apparently EA wants you to buy a second game for another 'license'. It's unbelievable how they treat their paying customers.

I'd return the game and boycott it.
If that isn't an option:
- spam their customer service
- post in their forums
- wait until they give in.

Good luck
uw#0523
Old 09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
EuroZeroZero
Antistar

Maybe im misunderstanding the issue, but this practice is common in the industry - across all genres - across all companies.

You buy a game that has online modes/connectivity. You buy one license to connect to online. If the contrary were the case, you could buy one copy of..oh lets say Guitar Hero PC. Run around and install it on all your friends, and then have a multiplayer battle against each other.

When you pay a Wrold of Warcraft subscription, you dont have the option to have 2 logins playing simultaneously.

However, if the claim made by EA is that multiple accounts can be linked to a single license, then I could see how that would be a pissoff.

That being said - I think this game is substandard. It tries doing way too much, and in the process doesn't actually get anything really *right*. The creature creator is good, and the spore-0-pedia which populates the game is great - but in terms of the gameplay, it's lacking. Each phase in the creatures life plays a different genre of game, but each genre is very shallow, lacking, and has been done before, better, by others.

Great vision, lacklustre execution. If they had focused a bit tighter and cut out some of the more useless parts, it would be more solid.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM
cacophony
disquietude

[QUOTE=EuroZeroZero;101490However, if the claim made by EA is that multiple accounts can be linked to a single license, then I could see how that would be a pissoff.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what they claim in plain language in the game manual. We contacted customer support and apparently they are regarding this as a bug. They published a "fix" that totally doesn't work. So now we're waiting for the next fix.

It's not like this is a revolutionary concept. My husband I have separate xbox live accounts and we're able to play anything we buy as separate entities on a single license. I don't have a problem with limiting the game to a single machine and registering to a single account, but multiple online profiles is hardly a new or earthshattering concept. They just plain screwed up. And considering how long they had to develop this thing I'm a little disappointed to find a bug right away.

As far as the game itself goes, it's fun so far, although I find the user experience a little clunky. I'm also surprised by how chunky it looks. I didn't expect so many visible polygons. It immediately looks a little dated as a result. I realize that the game's actual mode of play and interactivity/adaptability is its selling point but come on. It's so boxy it looks like it's running on an N64.

Anyway, I'm a fairly atypical gamer (non-gamer gamer, really) so I anticipate putting in a lot of hours. It'll be interesting to see whether the primary gamer community embraces it at all.

Posted from my blackberry so forgive any fat-fingered typos.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Jan
vision

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1

LOL
uw#0523
Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 AM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
That's pretty astounding, really. People actually taking to thar internet streets and slamming it respectfully on a reputable vendor. Niiice