Drift Ep. 1, Part 3 - Low Between Zebras
Old 11-15-2018, 10:19 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: Drift Ep. 1, Part 3 - Low Between Zebras
Description
Quote:
Drift, Ep 1, Pt. 3 Low Between Zebras
Low Between Zebras (featuring the voice of Matthew Trevannion), is Episode 1 Part 3 of Underworld’s DRIFT Series. The film, by Underworld and Mollie Gallagher, draws inspiration from stories gathered through the Manchester Street Poem project in 2017 and its release coincides with Rick & Karl’s participation in a new MSP installation at the International Arts & Homelessness Festival taking place in Manchester this week.

“The original brief for the film was inspired by a story I heard from a lady who had begged on the street and how she had watched the world every day from low down to the ground. How legs & feet moving around & past her, always ‘going somewhere’, reinforced her own feelings of going nowhere.” Karl Hyde

Low Between Zebras is Underworld for the other small hours – for those quiet times when the dawn breaks and the road seems endlessly inviting.

I hear a lot of cut clouds/edgelands in this piece. Quite beautiful.

Last edited by jetpig; 11-15-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 AM
purlieu
enofa

It's nice, but it's the sort of piece that I think would work far better in context of something - album, EP, whatever - rather than as a standalone track.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 AM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
It's nice, but it's the sort of piece that I think would work far better in context of something - album, EP, whatever - rather than as a standalone track.
totally agree.

later
Old 11-15-2018, 11:21 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
this exactly.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:22 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Yeah, kind of reminds me of short soundscapy tracks RiverRun, like Flatz or 10,000 hz... great in the continuous mix, but not something I'd listen to on it's own very often. Same goes with "Brilliant yes that would be". Still, appreciate the free new tunes and the sentiment behind this one.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:03 PM
BIKstyle
river

Quote:
You nailed it. I hope Drift will be made into an album somehow ...
Old 11-17-2018, 09:51 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

I'd be surprised if any of this music was reassembled as a traditional album. Drift seems like the next evolution of what was RiverRun. Back then Underworld wanted to do something more immediate, with a visual component, with an unusual release cadence; something that freed them from the confines of traditional album creation/distribution/promotion.

Underworld had to kind of invent their own way of releasing RiverRun -- if you remember the web integration, the store etc., it was all more or less hand-made HTML, zip files, PDFs, really low-fi technology. But now there's YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, all things that offer a direct channel to the audience, can be monetized, and require no custom infrastructure. All Underworld and Tomato have to do is make their art. The rest is the click of a button, relatively speaking.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:11 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I just wish we don't have to rely on making youtube rips, just to listen (or watch) the tracks offline

and it reminds me, did anyone actually manage to save a complete set of the Lemonworld / Dogboyheadset tracks? I haven't heard "Swing Up High" in years, and I feel like I'm missing a few bits here and there...
Old 11-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Billy Goat
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
I just wish we don't have to rely on making youtube rips, just to listen (or watch) the tracks offline

and it reminds me, did anyone actually manage to save a complete set of the Lemonworld / Dogboyheadset tracks? I haven't heard "Swing Up High" in years, and I feel like I'm missing a few bits here and there...
For those of us who are newer to the forums, are any of these old tracks still available anywhere?
I've got some tracks in a folder called "underworldlive.com tracks" with MamaNuxx jam, Bit of Rope For Web, Unruly July etc but I've never heard anything about Swing up high until someone on here mentioned it the other day. What is dogboy headset?
Is there a list of all these other tracks anywhere so I can see what I'm missing?
Also does anyone know where the 7min version of Why why why came from?