Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Re: New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose View Post
No merging tracks. Right length for Simple Peel (and no song on album is longer than 6-7 minutes).
Scribble merges/fades into Hamburg Hotel
Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I can't really judge the album until I hear the second disc. Obviously most of these tracks have been worked on quite a bit, which means a lot was dropped, some of which I really do miss. But if they're on the second disc I can't really complain about what "could have been".

That said, I tried to listen to it imagining I had not heard any of the other tracks before, and I feel like it's quite good, and maybe their best since STITI. I do wish some of these tunes were a bit longer though. "Hamburg Hotel" specifically. That one has a great 90's UW vibe and I wish they took it further. It's too good of an album to "only" be 50 minutes.

I did like "Diamond Jigsaw" a lot. I hate to say this but PVD was absolutely the right choice for this track. The synths were my favorite part and I wish they stayed...that said if they are on the second disc I can't really complain, because the guitars sound good too.

I like how this album brings every era of UW together, even the Underneath the Radar/Change the Weather era...really!! Just wish it was longer! They could have expanded "Hamburg Hotel" a ways, maybe added "Bamboo"...I don't know, just hate when it ends I did order the double vinyl, how is that going to work? Like 12-13 minutes a side?

I'll need time to see how, ultimately, this ranks among the other UW albums, but suffice to say this is the most excited I've ever been for a new release since I got into them in 98. Just sayin'...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM
bazwint
mouseman

I'm glad PvD is getting some love. Karl dedicated DS to him in Paris on Friday.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 AM
bazwint
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazwint View Post
DS
?? Sorry... "DJ"
Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 AM
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappys Curry View Post
I haven't heard it all the way through yet, but Parc sounds like 90s UW to me, and that is a 2008 release.
It sounds like 80's Underworld to me. Much better than anything they released then, but kinda had that vibe.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I received the JP album today. The HMV price was high, but that was because it included express shipping. I did order tracking. On September 1st it was in Tokyo. Later that day, it was in NYC. At 7:10 AM Eastern Time I got a phone call and was told that it was at my local post office! I picked it up a little while ago and then put Barking on my hard drive and iPod (Apple Lossless; that is how I have all of UWs albums).

I've yet to listen to it. I figured I'd check out the dirty forums first since I was already on the computer. Gonna listen to it soon.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

Holding out on hearing the actual album, but the Abbey Road version of YDS sounds great! A lot like the original, but with a few differences that make it sound more "studio"-ish. I can only imagine what the Disc 2 one will sound like!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
blue

Champ - does it have the vocals? I do have one "studio" version of YDS that was played on a broadcast, and it was neat, but it didn't have the vocal that I liked so much...and this one??
Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

No vocals on YDS Abbey Road
Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Professor
this is bat country

Send a message via AIM to Professor
This is the best work I've heard from Underworld in a long time. Every track on Barking has its space on the album, and the whole damn thing makes me smile. I was just talking to BLD about how different people's reactions have been to it.... which totally surprises me, and also makes total sense. Barking to me, is both very mature, lyrically and musically, and also somewhat juvenile as well....a little hookey and catchy. It's both very smart and completely appealing to the lowest common denominating musical taste at the same time. I can see why it starts arguments.... great art usually does. There is such an evolution here musically for them... this album isn't really dark. It's not Dark and Long... it's ok.

Think of Doot Doot.... I think that song is just fantastic. Sure, it's poppy, and from a different decade...but it has staying power. Grace reminds me of this. So does Bird 1. So does Louisiana... in fact Louisiana is also a stand out track....and one that is getting severe polar reactions. It's so personal; I think if you are patient with this song, you might gain some insight into the artist. That's rare.

Diamond Jigsaw continues to make me giggle. No shit. I was on the bus and I just started giggling to myself... It's such a good song, and such a huge surprise. I was prepared to not like it. Any PVD essence is forgiven--in my opinion.

Anyway, that's my 2c.

Last edited by Professor; 09-02-2010 at 06:42 PM.