Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:43 PM
mickstafa
river

Re: Beaucoup Fish - 4 CD Remastered Deluxe Box Set (8/25/2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
I'm happy to buy as much Underworld material as they can release. If they did continue with EE and AHDO then by the time they got to Barking, that record would be over ten years old and suitable for a special edition.
As long as they don't make half of the future reissues remixes.

I'm just now listening to all the remixes on the BF remaster... they are almost all terrible. I mean, these outside DJs take a portion of the songs and just repeat them ad nauseum. Maybe a few could work on a dance floor, but so many are just plain annoying.

The Salt City Orchestra mix of Cups is very good. It actually makes a statement and has its own special groove. Are there any other worthwhile remixes that y'all think are outstanding?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:23 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Jumbo Futureshock is one of my favorite remixes. I'm happy to have the full version in digital now.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:09 PM
Vancouver
river

Apologies if I missed this in the thread but can anyone comment on:

1. The remaster of the album itself? Any upgrade over the original?

2. Has anyone picked up the vinyl reissue? I've got an original pressing but would be curious to know how a new pressing stacks up.

Cheers.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:32 AM
ceramic'cow
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Jumbo Futureshock is one of my favorite remixes. I'm happy to have the full version in digital now.
Yeah, the Jedis Sugar Hit and FutureShock Worlds Apart Jumbo mixes are two of the best UW remixes, I reckon.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:40 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramic'cow View Post
Yeah, the Jedis Sugar Hit and FutureShock Worlds Apart Jumbo mixes are two of the best UW remixes, I reckon.
absolutely agree. love these two.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:02 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

...and of course - there's the awesome "Bruce Lee (Micronauts Remix)"
Old 09-01-2017, 12:06 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Interesting oversight/error -- vinyl reissue does not contain the Trevor Morais' credit for "all the hitting things done in a live, loose and sexy way not dissimilar to drumming but better", which was on the original CD sleeve.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Yeah, he's not in the liner notes of the box set either.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
In relation to all the Kittens discussions going on, Darren Emerson once told me that Kittens was effectively "his track". Might go some way to explaining why it dated differently to the other tracks if it was developed more as a DJ friendly track. Just a thought.
I don't consider Kittens a DJ friendly at all. Perhaps it started as such but developed into something different.

I have read / heard in interviews in the past that Darren had a fondness for the track, particularly when he was "road testing" some tracks during DJ sets.

For me, the track that has dated the most is Moaner, and I was disappointed that there were no off-cuts or early versions in this box set, particularly as there is the awesome Relentless Legs mix.

I also feel there is more of a story to tell with King of Snake, another track that was "road tested" in some form, and had clearly gone through significant changes before the album version. The Garage version shows how far the band were trying to push the boundaries.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:04 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I don't consider Kittens a DJ friendly at all. Perhaps it started as such but developed into something different..
Yeah, now that you mention it, hard to imagine Kittens playing in a nightclub, at least here in the US. But then again Underworld music has always been better than club music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I also feel there is more of a story to tell with King of Snake, another track that was "road tested" in some form, and had clearly gone through significant changes before the album version. The Garage version shows how far the band were trying to push the boundaries.
Hadn't thought of this but you're right. A Nuxx-style evolution disc would be most welcome, and would probably include some variation on the back half of Ramajama. Fabulous idea.