Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Blue Lines vs. Mezzanine
When it comes to Massive Attack albums, fans usually find these two albums to be their finest. Heck, many fans think these are two of the best albums ever made (I do).

So, MA fans, which album to you find to be the finest MA record? You can choose which one you think is their best album out of the two, and which one is your personal favorite out of the two (as those two things are not always the same).

If there is another MA album that is your favorite album, please write and tells us. I'm sure no one here will dispute that those two albums are their best works, though.

My personal fav from them is Mezzanine. In my top 3 for electronic albums, well within my top 10 for all albums. Don't get me wrong, Blue Lines is a materpiece too. It is a great album that I really like. As for their best work, I want to say Mezzanine, because it has brilliant production values; it is a real work of art itself. So excellently crafted. It released in 1998, yet sounds like it released last week!

However, for their best work, I'd probably go with Blue Lines. Again, a real materpiece itself, with great production values. It still sounds amazing today, as well. However, it is more timeless than Mezzanine, I suppose. Also, it was such a groundbreaking album. Definitely for the electronic genre, and for all music. It spawned trip hop and influenced more than just trip hop music. Not only is this great album an album that encompasses all these things, this is probably the Massive Attack album you'd recommend first to listeners. For electronic music fans, you can argue having them start with Mezzanine first, but for most people, I'd say Blue Lines is the Massive Attack album to start with.

So, what say you, Massive Attack fans of the Dirty forums?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 PM
unwound floors
power before passion.

Re: Blue Lines vs. Mezzanine
Massive Attack are tied with Underworld for my favourite band ever. Both are great, but Mezzanine wins out, for me - it's the darkness and tension of the whole thing, it feels very cohesive as a whole, like it's telling a story. And the songs themselves - Christ, where to begin? Inertia Creeps? Angel? Mezzanine? Group Four? Teardrop? Every single one is bloody brilliant.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

It is a great album. Massive Attack are one of my favorites for music artists, too. I'd say they are in my top 5.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

There used to be a great fan/bootleg site out there: massiveattack.ie but it's gone now... I picked up some nice bootleg FLAC's there.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Is it just a bunch of live material of songs from albums, or is there some rare material not found on their albums?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

It was both. Lots of Stuff left over from Heligoland
Old 09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Weird. I like Protection best.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

agree, even with Hymn of the Big Wheel and Light My Fire, Protection is the best MA album.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I was going with (what I have observed to be) the most renowned MA albums. Like how most people pick The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby to be the best U2 albums. Like I said in the first post, you can pick your personal fav MA album. If you guys think that Protection is also their best work, that is fine. I had just thought that it was not much disputed that the best albums MA made are Blue Lines and Mezzanine.

Protection is a good album. My favorite tracks on it are Protection, Karmacoma, Better Things, Three, and Sly. Weather Storm is nice, too. The other tracks are good or decent, but I don't care for the Light My Fire cover.

I like Heligoland, too. I guess I like Heligoland a little more than Protection. Splitting the Atom, the first single from the album, is one of the tracks I like the least. And then there is 100th Window. Great production values, some good songs, some great moments on the album, but the sound for the album is one-dimensional, and that sound gets tiring after over an hour of listening to it. It is very dreary and very drab; a combination that really brings down the strengths of the album. Some of the songs are dreary but real winners, but every one of the tracks on the album is dreary, except maybe What Your Soul Sings, but it doesn't change up the sound of the album.