Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Cadevil
exilio

Re: New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
Make up your minds folks. Either you like generic bullshit (Moby, Thievery Corp, Groove Armada, Barking?) or you don't.
Yeah, I find this statement pretty ridiculous. I mean I don't find the chemical brothers current brand of music all that interesting... Does that mean I can't like Barking because underworld is the same genre of music?

It's okay if some people don't love this release.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

I just find it bizarre that someone can like Thievery Corp but think Barking sounds generic and boring.

you didn't find these comments poisonous?

"awful. worst album since their freur times."
""diamond jigsaw" and "scribble" easily rank among the worst tracks from my favourite bands ever."

Those are clearly aimed at the pop sound of Barking. What I found bizarre was the rejection of Barking for being too pop while simultaneously recommending an album that is almost too bland to be played at Starbucks.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Cadevil
exilio

Some people like Britney Spears and Beyonce...others like Britney Spears or Beyonce.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

and you know what...i actually like the first two High Contrast albums and yet i really don't like "scribble". although someone might say it could very well be found on them.

yes, maybe that is bizarre but that's the way it is.

and again: someone asked about thievery corporation albums and i told him which one i like the most. i didn't say that i love it to death nor that it is the greatest album ever.

however, i still think "barking" may be the worst UW album ever. i wasn't too fond of OWB either, but at least it had some sort of personality. this one sounds way too overproduced (if that is actually a word).

Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

I agree, it is a bit overproduced. Still like the songs.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:01 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
you didn't find these comments poisonous?

"awful. worst album since their freur times."
""diamond jigsaw" and "scribble" easily rank among the worst tracks from my favourite bands ever."
it's vehement but it's not trying to insinuate that those who dont agree have got these ridiculous inconsistencies
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

i first listened to the new album on my way to work the other day.

when i first head "bird 1" i thought "hey, this isn't half bad. sure, that laser-gun-whatsoever-sound is a bit boring after five minutes, but it works."

then we're on to "always loved a film". it kinda took me by surprise, but not in a bad way. that is, until about 2:20 in....then the whole "heaven heaven heaven" part kicks in and i feel like i'm in summer camp of the catholic church with a bunch of drug-fueled tranceheads dancing around me with white gloves. yes, some might call it uplifting. i call it embarrasing. i actually turned down the volume on my ipod. from this moment on it sorta went downwards for me.

"scribble"....i skipped that, since i already knew it was crap.

"hamburg hotel" is interesting, but it feels like they could have made more out of it. appears to be a bit misplaced.

the part between "grace" and "diamond jigsaw" is the worst of the album. annoying stadium rock synths, annoying lyrics, annoying everything. kill it with (dub)fire!

the last three tracks are alright. sure, "simple peal" isn't much of anything, but UW were always good at producing nice ambient textures. and by now i really enjoy "lousiana". funny enough, those last few tracks were produced by UW on their own. go figure.

in the end, if you have 60 minutes of music and only enjoy about 15 minutes of it, it is a bit...uhm...unsatisfying? hence my rating.

Last edited by Eikman; 09-04-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I wish UW tried to make a pop album on their own, instead of collaborating on 8 of the 9 tracks. I respect that they wanted to make this album be full of collaborations, but that is part of the reason why I'm not too impressed with this release. I want pure, unadulterated Underworld with an UW album. But I do respect that this is what Rick and Karl wanted.

That being said, I look forward to the box set I ordered with CD 2. It'll be interesting getting more into the main album and then having an alternate version of the album to compare it to. I already know I'm going to take my favorite versions of songs from each disc and make a playlist out of it on my iPod. Of course I'll have the album proper on there to listen to, and CD 2 on there to listen to, as well.

I mentioned the songs I'm not too impressed with, but I rather like the other tracks. I do think I will like Strumpet Groove more than Bird 1. Bird 1 is for the most part good, but I do dislike the addition of those "synth plops" as someone on these boards called them.

This may end up being my least favoriite Underworld album, but I still like most of its tracks. I feel it is still a solid release from them. (I'm only counting their albums that fall in the Electronic music genre; regardless, I'd still put this above their MK I albums)
Old 09-04-2010, 11:18 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadevil View Post
It's okay if some people don't love this release.
you've hit the nail on the head there. it IS okay. no need to attack the people who arent liking it very much.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:35 AM
jose m
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikman View Post
i first listened to the new album on my way to work the other day.

when i first head "bird 1" i thought "hey, this isn't half bad. sure, that laser-gun-whatsoever-sound is a bit boring after five minutes, but it works."

then we're on to "always loved a film". it kinda took me by surprise, but not in a bad way. that is, until about 2:20 in....then the whole "heaven heaven heaven" part kicks in and i feel like i'm in summer camp of the catholic church with a bunch of drug-fueled tranceheads dancing around me with white gloves. yes, some might call it uplifting. i call it embarrasing. i actually turned down the volume on my ipod. from this moment on it sorta went downwards for me.

"scribble"....i skipped that, since i already knew it was crap.

"hamburg hotel" is interesting, but it feels like they could have made more out of it. appears to be a bit misplaced.

the part between "grace" and "diamond jigsaw" is the worst of the album. annoying stadium rock synths, annoying lyrics, annoying everything. kill it with (dub)fire!

the last three tracks are alright. sure, "simple peal" isn't much of anything, but UW were always good at producing nice ambient textures. and by now i really enjoy "lousiana". funny enough, those last few tracks were produced by UW on their own. go figure.

in the end, if you have 60 minutes of music and only enjoy about 15 minutes of it, it is a bit...uhm...unsatisfying? hence my rating.

i don't post here anymore but i've just come back to say the berlin gig is shit and the albums no good.
you then listen again and try and back up whats you said.
why bother?