Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Coachella questions [yes allready]
Figured this would be a good place to ask seeing people from this particular forum go and report on how good it is. Me and a friend are considering flying over and attending in 2009. Pretty much becuase all UK festivals seem a bit samey in the lineup and we assume it will be rain free unlike Glastonbury, Leeds, Global Gathering etc where the weather is reported more then performances.

When do tickets usually go on sale and when does a lineup get posted? With people like Prince playing this year gone, I'm hoping that someone big will play if we go over! Is it a friendly festival so to speak? I've been to plenty of fesitvals in the UK where people acting like dickheads through drinking too much spoils it for me. Not that im against having a good time, but being sick so early in a day just isn't my idea of fun.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Coachella questions [yes allready]
ok - well.. I've only gone once (this year)

and it was the absolutely best festival/ outdoor 'music event' I've EVER been too

you know how there's always "that guy" at the concert that's way too drunk, shirtless, slobby, and yells for the songs (of other artists) during your favorite song of a particular set? Well, there's no "that guy" at Coachella.

true - there are definite downsides:
1) the heat
2) the heat
3) the sun

seriously, if it wasn't for the hippy friends of my friend... I would've been fucked. B/c I only had my tent and some snacks. I didn't realize you could bring food nor the necessity of bringing a large 'tarp' or whatever to stay in the shade. B/c each night I'd wake up at 8am regardless of when I went to sleep - just b/c of the heat
Old 08-30-2008, 03:48 PM
beh
CLT

Line-up is usually announced around Valentine's Day (2/14).

Will post more later. I've been to most Coachellas (1999 [just to see Underworld], 2002-6) and have plenty of stories and advice to give.

bh
Old 08-30-2008, 05:09 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

i wish i was in san francisco today. i need a fcuking taco.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post

true - there are definite downsides:
1) the heat
2) the heat
3) the sun
Haha the heat was something i thought could be an issue, but it would be a novelty to any UK festival goer at a festival. I think i'll start saving the pennies from my pay packets...
Old 08-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

The heat can be bad, but as long as drink plenty of water and wear sunscreen, you should be ok. But it is not an excuse to not go. A great festival. Always some new band you will discover and go head over heels for.

If I remember, the tickets might go on sale before the bands are announced?

Jason
Old 09-01-2008, 10:19 PM
TheRev
mouseman

I've been a few times and each time has been great. The production value is top notch and you definitely won't deal with rain that's fo sho.

I highly recommend saving up a bit extra and getting a hotel room somewhere so you have a nice place to shower and get away from the heat at the end of the night. I did the camping one year and definitely wouldn't want to go that route again.

If the lineup speaks to you, go for it! I'm a bit picky so I've not always rated it, but in general they bring in top notch acts every year.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 PM
cured
sikk

The lineup is normally posted at the end of January and tickets go on sale a few days afterward. Bands are added after tickets go on sale and they usually add a couple of pretty nice acts every year.

Last weekend in April is when you should plan on making travel arrangements.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
beh
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beh View Post
Line-up is usually announced around Valentine's Day (2/14).

Will post more later. I've been to most Coachellas (1999 [just to see Underworld], 2002-6) and have plenty of stories and advice to give.

bh
OK, I'm back. I highly suggest you go ahead and get a hotel room now. Indio (where Coachella is held) is in the east part of the valley, Palm Springs in the west. That means most hotels are in the west (30 min drive, after the epic adventure of getting out of the parking lot). So the closer the better, but there's fewer hotels in the east than west. You can always cancel the reservation. I didn't go the last two years but got reservation in Dec for both.

I've only heard bad things about on-site camping, as referenced in other posts here. I need a bed and shower!

I haven't gone since it went to three days. Two days were tough enough, I can't imagine what three days would be like.

And I'll repeat, because I'm pretty confident about this, line-up announced around Valentine's day (2/14).

bh

Last edited by beh; 09-17-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:31 PM
beh
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
i wish i was in san francisco today. i need a fcuking taco.
haha! I live a neighborhood over from the Mission. Best Taquerias ever!

Might have to get me a burrito for dinner tonight!

bh

Last edited by beh; 09-17-2008 at 07:34 PM.