Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2010, 01:46 PM
grady
fac321

summer
It's started. I've only seen Robin Hood. Meh.

Top priorities for the remainder are the following.

1. Inception
2. Toy Story 3
3. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

That's about all I can pull w/out seeking a release schedule. I'm sure there will be other little things that will surface that I'm itching to see.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Re: summer
The A-Team movie

'nuff said
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 PM
grady
fac321

And of course, for those of us stateside, there is Gasper Noe's film Enter the Void, finally seeing a domestic release in the states!

Last edited by grady; 05-14-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

Despite mixed online reviews, the new "Nightmare on Elm Street" remake that just came out was pretty fucking cool in my opinion and I think everyone should check it out!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:07 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
My wife will probably drag me along to see "robin Hood".

Me, i like some diversion. Depending on howw bad/mixed/good the reviews are, i'd be up for:
"MacGruber" - apparently, the 20 second SNL skit holds up okay for a full length. thank Val Kilmer.
'Dinner For Shmucks" - really enjoy Paul Rudd. he cracks me up. Steve Carell has his moments, too.
"The Other Guys" - Will Ferrell formula. yes, they're getting low on ideas - race car driver, basketball player, anchor man - now, a cop, but he makes me laugh.

Yeah, nothing particularly high brow in there. But i'll definitely see "Toy Story 3"!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
My wife will probably drag me along to see "robin Hood".
Good luck on the Robin Hood viewing. It was arduous at best, and I wasn't even paying for it but attending a press screening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Yeah, nothing particularly high brow in there. But i'll definitely see "Toy Story 3"!
How high brow are you looking to go?

There is the release of the completed version of Metropolis, which is currently playing in NY & LA.

Then there is the rerelease of the classic Powell/Pressburger film, The Red Shoes.

Oh, there is also a rerelease of Jean-Luc Godard's film Breathless.

There is also Cyrus, the new film from the Duplass brothers.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet has a new film that I believe will finally be coming out stateside called Micmacs.

Oh, and take a look at the new trailer for Inception. Damn if that doesn't look like a good film, and it's also a return to Christopher Nolan directing his own material after the recent stint of adaptations and batman films.

Last edited by grady; 05-18-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:37 PM
stimpee
Administrator

9 high quality clips of Robin Hood on www.Joost.com still hasnt swayed me whether i want to see it our not.

Still need to see KickAss!
Old 05-18-2010, 02:59 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose View Post
Despite mixed online reviews, the new "Nightmare on Elm Street" remake that just came out was pretty fucking cool in my opinion and I think everyone should check it out!
you've got to be kidding me. That was atrocious.
KickAss was actually quite entertaining though.
Micmacs A Tire Larigot was also very good, one of my favourites from the past half year or so.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 PM
chems1919
mouseman

Inception. Directed by Christopher Nolan. End of discussion.

I will be there opening night, watching in Imax just like The Dark Knight.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
you've got to be kidding me. That was atrocious.
No joke, I loved the fuck out of it and I'm a huge classic N.O.E.S. fan.

Here's the spoiler filled review I posted elsewhere right after I saw it:

Just got back from seeing it and it fucking rocked!

Everytime that ugly burned motherfucker showed up on screen everyone in the theater jumped a foot in the air. Many are just shock scares but FUCK are they effective at making you jump every damn time. The kills are brutal as all hell, the blood and gore is up on the screen, and the makeup and acting for Freddy is spot on and very creepy. Everything about this movie is really just fantastic.

***Major Spoilers Below***

Don't say I didn't warn anyone about spoilers......here goes:

Movie opens with a 8mm film collection of preschool children at play as the credits play out, really just setting the tone more or less. The opening Diner scene is very good as it establishes all of the main characters and their relationships with one another without it feeling cheap or manufactured - just normal teens like in the original Wes Craven version. Plus Dean gets it pretty damn badly (Freddy makes it look like a suicide as Dean cuts his own throat with a steak knife) as the title screen pops into view. You know right then that this movie is going to be fucking crazy as shit.

Creepy shit happens in every fucking scene so the tension never lets up. Kris starts having worse and worse nightmares to the point where she's looking Freddy face to face every other scene. He's scary as fuck and waiting for her ass all over the place too. That bitch gets it in the worst of ways, with her neck slamming into all of the walls snapping her neck and a HUGE slash from neck to crotch that sprays blood all over the wall behind her. It's like that original Tina kill scene on steroids (and ragdoll physics). The blood splatter here would keep Dexter busy for a while.

Rod, er, I mean Jesse runs from the cops and hides in Nancy's room and they both realize that Freddy is a real threat. Jesse gives up to the cops and falls asleep in jail. He gets dispatched in a different way than Rod did in the original. Freddy even gives Jesse a twisted little biology lesson, proving that he does joke a bit on occasion and enjoys fucking with his prey.

Nancy gets in contact with fellow schoolmate Quentin and they Scooby Doo mystery detective the whole Freddy cover up and discuss the nature of sleep deprivation, etc. It's actually a lot more interesting than that sounds though, because much of it is told through cool flashback scenes like Freddy being burned alive, and Freddy taking his preschoolers back to his secret cave.

At this point, Nancy and Quentin are clued in to the old preschool and their parent's roles in Freddy's murder. They confront their parents and learn about the cover up. They struggle with Freddy nearly constantly as they fight to stay awake (alive) and wind up battling Freddy in the final showdown in Freddy's Cave.

They do indeed show Freddy up close quite a bit and I must say that the effects guys deserve some awards for their work. It's straight nasty as fuck looking. Freddy's now a kid fiddler though and much more sexually assualting towards the female victims.

Oh yeah, Nancy's mom still gets it nasty through some glass this time around too.

It's edited very tight with every scene having a tense moment or plot significance to it. Felt edited like a Final Destination movie more than a Freddy movie I'd say. Overall it felt very short and to the point.

Great atmospheric soundtrack and sound FX, really does make you jump out of your fucking skin with every Freddy scare.

Very entertaining movie that I'd gladly go see again (and again).

Definately check it out if you're a fan of the Elm Street movies, you won't be disappointed.