Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: 2007 so far
Here's a post i wrote out a few days ago:

Now that 2007 is nearly over;

The Bird and the Bee, s/t - Fantastic pop melodies, one of the most refreshing albums I've heard all year. Surprisingly well written and doesn't overstay its welcome, and the vocals are superb. Definetely the pop album of the year.

Dan Deacon, Spiderman of the Rings - Got to agree with Spacecow that this is just too many guilty pleasures in one. I think we'll see some really great things out of this guy along the lines of "Wham City".

LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver - I originally got this back in 2006 when it leaked, and even back then I thought it would be my favorite album of the year. Completely delivers on the promise of the debut - the songs are even more well-formed and danceable, with Murphy bypassing most of the modern dance music influences and writing music in a style that David Bowie, Brian Eno, or David Byrne might be if they were born 30 years later.

The Orb, The Dream - The Fehlmann-dominated Okie Dokie was a fine album, but it was refreshing to see the band get back to their old selves without getting boring or self-indulgent. A fresh start for the now-dinosaur band.

Orbital, Live at Glastonbury - If not for the bootleg sound-quality, this would surely be one of the finest live albums ever. Although they broke up in 2004, this was a great spin down memory lane, reminding us just how fantastic the techno revolution of the late 90's was when it was done right.

They Might Be Giants, The Else - I think everyone wants the Giants to write another "Birdhouse", but if that won't happen, they could have done much worse. They seem to have broken out of their late-90's/early 00's slump for good and wrote enough great rock songs to make this their best since Factory Showroom.

Underworld, Oblivion With Bells - It's not as strong as their previous work, but what is? If the best tracks since their last album were compiled, this would be a surefire homerun, but they forewent many of their better new tracks to give us something more coherent. They bring back the chill in a good way with another album that gets better with each listen.

Von Sudenfed, Tromatic Reflexxions - This was surpisingly good, and hopefully they'll come together for a sequel. It's not much more than a new Mouse on Mars album with Mark E Smith's drunk ramblings over it, so it's surprising it works as well as it does. "That Sound Wiped" has got to be one of the best tracks of the year.

Yeah! Good year!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:15 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Holy Fuck - LP
Old 12-04-2007, 02:57 AM
EuroZeroZero
Antistar

my choice for 07' is Mirrored by Battles.

probably the album that got the most play from me...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:09 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Yeah, the end-of-year lists always make me feel i haven't bought enough new music or am not plugged in to what's up and coming.
But of what i did buy, the best was:

Underworld - Oblivion With Bells
Radiohead - In rainbows
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Sigur Ros - Hvarf/Heim
Daft Punk - Alive 2007
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 PM
EuroZeroZero
Antistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Sigur Ros - Hvarf/Heim
really? explain to me why you thought it was good. i've been wary of really getting into this, based on my understanding that it's just a few tracks that were either b-side material or expanded versions of takk stuff.

this is what ived been told and the feeling i got from metacritic. from a fans perspective, elaborate?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroZeroZero
really? explain to me why you thought it was good. i've been wary of really getting into this, based on my understanding that it's just a few tracks that were either b-side material or expanded versions of takk stuff.

this is what ived been told and the feeling i got from metacritic. from a fans perspective, elaborate?
Sure, i'll try! Yes, the tracks are either reworkings of tracks from Von (which i like because of its rock edge, something closer to OK-Computer-era radiohead than the dramatic, ethereal tracks that SR is more noted for), a couple unreleased tracks (i guess you could call them B-Sides, but they're characteristically fully developed, and one a.k.a. "Rokklagia" has been kicking around their concerts for years, and i'm happy to hear it released oficially), and 6 acoustic versions of tracks from each of their 4 LPs.

I was a bit diappointed with Takk, as it seemed kind of stuck in the ( ) mode...nothing wrong with sticking to your gunbs, and it certainly is a lovely sound, but there didn't seem to be any progress. The latest offering is a fine reminder of live concerts i've enjoyed and some bits from their past.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
gambit
magic city writer

I'm still working out the order of these guys, but here's my favorite albums of the year (I've heard).

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
!!! - Myth Takes
Justice - cross
Matthew Dear - Asa Breed
M.I.A. - Kala
Bjork - Volta
Digitalism - Idealism
Caribou - Andorra
Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 PM
m.g.
teh n00b

Trentemøller - The Trentemøller Chronicles
Swayzak - Some Other Country
Pig & Dan - Imagine
Gabriel Ananda - Bambusbeats
Efdemin - Efdemin
Gui Boratto - Chromophobia
Wighnomy Bros. / Robag Wruhme - Remikks Potpourri II
Kompakt - Total 8
Dave Gahan - Hourglass
Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
It's about time for that year-end poll around here with the results that everybody somehow finds disappointing that I can never vote in because I didn't get enough newly released music in the past year.

Lists are always ok. But even better are lists with descriptions of the music and explanations of why you like it.