Dirty Forums > technique.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2008, 01:00 PM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Re: NFL talk
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
My hometown Steelers are driving me crazy! Too many games this year they've eked out in the last minutes or OT! With their very tough schedule, at least they are beating quality opponents, and doing it through defense if not offense, but it does make my blood pressure rise while watching.
you should try seeing this from another teams/fans perspective, in this case I'm a Bolts fan:

they've won 2 games against the Chiefs on the very last play (missed FG, then failed 2 pt conversion)

and 5 games, they've lost in the final minute (including vs the Steelers)
Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
I forget about how bad the Dolphins were last year, but what about the Falcons? Who saw that coming? Who would've thought the NFC South would become such a tough division (and with the Saints at the bottom)?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by den View Post
I forget about how bad the Dolphins were last year, but what about the Falcons? Who saw that coming? Who would've thought the NFC South would become such a tough division (and with the Saints at the bottom)?
Yeah, the Falcons pretty much fell apart during the offseason, as I recall ESPN ranked them dead last in the power rankings in the preseason. Let's face it rookie QB's usually just don't work out, but Matt Ryan is clearly rookie of the year and one of the better QBs in the league. Speaking of the Saints - can you believe the line on yesterday's Saints-Lions game was a touchdown? SEVEN POINTS? The Saints are the team that would absolutely destroy a bad defense, and I really regret not putting my entire account on them as I was very close to doing.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
Ahh, but you could have it so much worse, I am from Green Bay, try watching your team lose in the last minutes or OT every week!
foretold!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:50 AM
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
foretold!
Wheeee!! The Bears practically gave us that game. All we had to do was take it Once again the Pack dominate in practically every stat and come away with an L.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:30 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
Wheeee!! The Bears practically gave us that game. All we had to do was take it Once again the Pack dominate in practically every stat and come away with an L.
Wheeeee indeed! That was a fun game once it ended. That was vintage 2005 Bears. That is much better than 2006 where it appeared all the pieces were in place, and 2007, where all the pieces were expected to be in place but in fact were anything but. The Bears offense is so frustrating, that when they're down by 1 TD, it feels like they're down by 3 TDs. You think, "Ok, this is the drive" and then they fuck it up. And then the defense makes some ridiculous stop. And then you think, "Ok, now THIS is the drive" and then it all gets fucked up again. But still, the defense somehow makes another ridiculous stop, and then just by the odds of trial and error, the offense eventually does something. This was exactly like the Cardinals-"The Bears are who we thought they were!"-game. The Bears win in spite of themselves.

And I think that is much better than expecting them to win and being disappointed. Every win is an unexpected treat and guilty pleasure. All that game meant is at least one more weekend of relevant football for the Bears.

I think this situation is typical of defensive-minded teams, like the Ravens. The defense will keep them in the game and allow them to win, but the offense will never win the game outright.

Yeah, the Packers deserved to win that game, and they certainly won the previous meeting. But in the most prolific rivalry in all of football ever (college and pro), the only thing that matters is the win. That, and not already being eliminated from the playoffs...
Old 12-29-2008, 07:29 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
What a heartwarming scene to see the Cowboys humiliated so badly at the hands of the surprisingly-reborn Eagles! Dallas has swaggered and infought all season, so i don't mind at all that they're dropped a peg and out of the playoffs.
Too bad about the Patriots - Cassell has played admirably in place of Brady, and it really was down to the wire as to who'd get in from the East. But again, it's nice to see some new blood in the playoffs, in this case, Miami.

AFC: Though i'd love to see the Steelers get back to the SB, the offense hasn't been firing on all cylinders, and the likes of the Ravens, Titans, and Colts seem more balanced and dominant. Especially the Colts, who also turned it around in the second half of the season.

NFC: Panthers and Giants probably still the teams to beat, and i'd say the Panthers are the stronger team (Giants have folded in recent weeks). But you know, with the Championship to defend and how Eli Manning has come on as a big star QB, i gotta think it's gonna be the Brothers Manning in the Superbowl, Colts vs. Giants.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM
cured
sikk

I can't believe my Eagles made the playoffs. When the earlier results came in and we had our opening, I was sure they'd find a way to blow it all and let the Cowboys laugh their way into the playoffs. As luck would have it, though, the Cowboys imploded like I've never seen a team implode before. I was yelling and screaming "MOAR POINTZ!" at the TV as a fumble was scooped up and the Eagles would score. First, Pacman right before the half gave us a field goal. Then Romo. Then Barber. Then Romo again. Hell, I boo'd David Akers when he missed a field goal cuz I had nothing to boo about till then.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons to watch as a Dolphin fan. Its cliche to say that I'm happy we just made it to the Playoffs but who cares! Do I think the Fins will beat the Ravens? Hrmm, maybe. I think its 50/50 for that game even in Miami. After that all bets are off. Pittsburgh looks tough!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:17 AM
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons to watch as a Dolphin fan. Its cliche to say that I'm happy we just made it to the Playoffs but who cares! Do I think the Fins will beat the Ravens? Hrmm, maybe. I think its 50/50 for that game even in Miami. After that all bets are off. Pittsburgh looks tough!
One of my best friends is a huge Dolphins fan, who battled some serious depression last season, let's just say he didn't even expect this (and he's ridiculously optimistic about them). Honestly as good as the Steelers/Giants/Titans are I don't think you can count out some of the lesser teams like the Vikings or even the Dolphins. The Fins have just been playing too well, and some teams are just on fire right now (the Colts and the Panthers), or dangerous if they catch (Vikings).