Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:49 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Re: 2010-07-24 Wave Love Festival - Livorno, Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
At a guess, festival set, based upon other festivals this year... i'd do an average/median and work it out. I'm sure there weren't any surprises. The only (nasty) surprise was that they had streaming on for the whole night, then switched it off for UW then turned it back on after. thanks for that.
but this was Underworld's request right? If they don't want something streamed that's there choice, right?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Mike
born013

I suspect the answer is more complicated than that... probably a combination of different parties involved...
Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Andrea
light at heart

The Itaian Wave Love festival was great and more than that. It was more like violently in love
At KOS I thought I was in the middle of a football match. Almost got burnt when some loaded guys squeezed to the first line with big burning torches. I guess they just wanted to bring the light in but it looked quite scary for a moment.

It was a usual festival set as I remember but no intro, no special mixes...nothing.
I'll check the recordings and post it when I'm back.

btw JIMI TENOR & KABU KABU was GREAT not 10/10 but delivered some brilliant pieces on sax, trumpet, bongo etc.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:29 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
It was a usual festival set as I remember but no intro, no special mixes...nothing. I'll check the recordings and post it when I'm back.
great setlist forthcoming then?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Mike
born013

At a guess, festival set, based upon other festivals this year... i'd do an average/median and work it out. I'm sure there weren't any surprises. The only (nasty) surprise was that they had streaming on for the whole night, then switched it off for UW then turned it back on after. thanks for that.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:35 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Cheeky.

I see you finally bothered to update the gigography.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 AM
bazwint
mouseman

Anyone else think that this "festival set" is a bit lazy? I'll be going to Paris next month and knowing what they're going to play takes the shine off things a wee bit.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 AM
gaborez
everythingeverythingevery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazwint View Post
Anyone else think that this "festival set" is a bit lazy? I'll be going to Paris next month and knowing what they're going to play takes the shine off things a wee bit.
well i dont think it's lazy... most bands on tour play pretty-much the same set of songs every night.

unlike most bands, underworld often radically change their setlist and remix songs on-the-fly.

then someone suggests they're lazy...

maybe you should stay at home and put your ipod on shuffle?

EDIT: PS i'm kidding of course. I hope they play Juanita for ya - enjoy the gig

Last edited by gaborez; 07-26-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:07 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazwint View Post
This isn't far from the truth. You could get a surprise or two but 95% of the set is going to be the same from show to show. Perhaps this is a symptom of being around so long that you feel you have to play certain songs from the crowd. Let's take a look at what you're likely to hear.

King of Snake
Born Slippy
Cowgirl/Rez
Dark Train/New Train
Scribble
Always Loved A Film
Moaner
TMO

You are likely to hear the other new tracks they're playing including:

Downpipe
Strumpet
Diamond Jigsaw
Between Stars

I'd say you're going to be very, very happy with the show, despite knowing what the set is going to consist of. If you get those new tracks, consider yourself lucky. Even if the rest of the set are the standard set fillers, you're hearing new stuff.

They do toss in some gems but they're random.

Banstyle
Spoonman
Juanita

Someone did a post with the percent breakdown on the set lists a year or two ago that was pretty accurate. The best bet is to wait until they tour on their own and avoid the festivals. You're more likely to get a unique setlist and some good segues between tracks. Doesn't seem like they're giving Price any time during the most recent sets which is a real shame. His interludes were fantastic and kept the groove pushing forward.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I don't buy it. In 2008, there were festival shows that got songs like:

Parc
Peach Tree
Ansum
Bamboo
Spikee
Strumpet
Cherry Pie
Mmm Skyscraper
Lenny Penne

And I can't remember a time ever before where they played the same setlist twice in a row, much less for 5 different shows.

I have no idea what is going on. The only thing I can fathom is that the new songs' rigid song structure is stifling any creativity in the sets or song order.