Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Edgeland: your thoughts?
my initial response - first listen I was very intrigued. second listen - intrigue turned to bliss. I was able to wrap my ears around the bonus tracks (japanese included). some of the tracks are much stronger than that of the regular LP. they're definitely worth the extra.

the two japanese bonus tracks are amazing especially Cascading Light. very different and the vocal manipulation is fantastic. the opening reminded me much of Faxed Invitation. the remixes of Cut Clouds and Slummin' are pretty good as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:01 AM
negative1

Re: Karl Hyde solo album - Edgeland, April 22, 2013
i've given it a quick listen through once with the extra tracks. very interesting, i like the different sounds. there's not so much of an underworld influence on it. which makes it interesting.

more review coming later on, when i listen to it more.

later
Old 04-24-2013, 12:52 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Edgeland: your thoughts?
So, you've lived with it for a couple days now? What are your thoughts about it? Track by track? General impressions?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 AM
richardacre
mouseman

Re: Edgeland: your thoughts?
I've got my copy but still haven't listened to it yet (I got photo 91 out of 150 BTW), because I'm waiting until there're no kids, phone calls and other distractions around first! Should manage it tonight. In the mean time allow me to gratuitously plug my monthly music night in Ipswich, I'm giving away a copy of the Deluxe DVD+CD edition at May's bash

http://thedecibelkid.com/switchhop/?1
Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 AM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

it's sounds very british

and delicious.

Shadow Boy is currently my favorite on the album
Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

how are everyone getting the bonus tracks?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 AM
richardacre
mouseman

Bonus tracks are on the CD in the CD/DVD deluxe edition. Listened to the main album last night. Really jarred me at first that they're proper songs and have been produced a bit shiny happy sounding, either the abum got better (and grittier) as it went along or I simply got into the swing of it. Laughed out loud when riding on trains was mentioned, can tell where Karl spends most of his time. Definitely needs listening to again!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 AM
Bargo
pants

I kinda like it so far, but need a few more listens. There are definitely tracks that stand out for me (Cut Clouds, The Night Slips.., Shadow Boy) that I immediately want to revisit.

It's surprisingly more cheerful than I was expecting. My only exposure prior to listening to the whole thing had been Cut Clouds, so I had rather different expectations of how it was going to sound. Not that it's a bad thing.

The additional tracks on the deluxe edition(s) kinda ruin the whole flow of the album. Sleepless is obviously meant to be an album closer and it really works well as one, but not so much when you have the up-beat Dancing on the graves.. directly afterwards.

The grammatical error of "it's" versus "its" in The Night Slips Us Underneath It's Dress is a bit embarassing given it has managed to make its way through to the official track listing on iTunes, topspin, and other stores without anybody noticing (or maybe they did and no-one cared). My digital version purchased from the UW webstore also misspells "jigsaw" as "jogsaw" in both the file name and ID3 tags. Why these things bother me I have no idea.

Last edited by Bargo; 04-29-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargo View Post
The grammatical error of "it's" versus "its" in The Night Slips Us Underneath It's Dress is a bit embarassing given it has managed to make its way through to the official track listing
You are not the only one that it bothers!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Given Karl's oddity, it's quite possible that the misspelling is intentional. I've noticed many grammatical incompatibilities with some of Karl's lyrics. I've actually grown to find these humorous.