Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:03 PM
adam
blue

Re: The Hyperion Cantos
I picked this up last night and I just finished the second chapter, in which Kassad recounts his past visit to Hyperion...mucho enjoying this. No time to post. Gotta read.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:12 PM
votingfloater
waukrife

I read Hyperion and Fall... while I was away, and I have to say I preferred the first book. Possibly because it covers more human, personal stories than Fall... which was more grand scale trad hard SF opera stuff. Having said that, there were a few aspects of the second book that I thought were really well done (not wanting to spoil, all I will say is /kwatz// ).
Old 02-02-2006, 02:17 PM
adam
blue

Yeah, I really like the format of this first book. The fleshing out of the universe by succesive different characters' backstories...each one is good on it's own, too...just finished wassername, the woman. Sol's was brutal. Almost done first book.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:20 PM
votingfloater
waukrife

Yeah, it's one of those archetypal story-types: a quest story. Done really well though.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via MSN to Tom
Yeah, the first book's cast's stories were fantastic. I really liked The Priest's and Sol's. The Consul is a wonderful character, such a complex player. I quite enjoyed the parts of the books set in and around the Core entities.

I finished the Endymion books a few weeks ago, and while they are quite different in execution to the first 2 books, they were excellent. You guys need to hurry up so I can talk freely about this shit.

Possible spoilers:

[COLOR="SandyBrown"]Raul is an amazing character. I've never felt a closeness to a character in a novel quite like I did with Raul. The way Simmons conveys Raul's love for Aenea is almost too much... I can remember reading when Raul first finds out about Aenea's 'missing 1 year and 11 months' - and wanting to vomit. Also, Aenea's final gift to humanity, or more specifically, Raul's retelling of it, brought tears to my eyes. Such a tragic ending for poor, poor Raul, but such a positive new beginning for humanity. Absolutely gutted that I've finished the series. A re-read will be happening very soon.[/COLOR]
Old 02-03-2006, 08:48 AM
adam
blue

Finished the first one. I'll get on the second quickquick.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:36 PM
adam
blue

Finished the first two. Not going to dive into the other two immediately. Too much other stuff on my To Read list.

I've been saying I want to re-read Catch 22 for years. Fuck that book is awesome.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:51 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

I just finished Illium, thought it was quite good. I especially liked the Moravec characters. It did feel like he was trying to tell too many stories that didn't seem to have a clear relation with eachother (I'm sure the sequel will shed light on some of it) and you're kinda left in the dark about a lot of stuff.
Is it worth getting the sequel as well?

also, does anyone else think that Simmons likes to use the word "obscene" a lot? I noticed it mostly in Fall of Hyperion, but also a couple of times in Illium.

Last edited by King of Snake; 03-26-2006 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via MSN to Tom
The sequel is essential