Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2009, 07:12 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Re: Shoegaze
IF you don't have Voyager 1 Stimp, go track it down. Doubtful you can find the ACTUAL release (it's a bootleg?) but it's a stormer.

It's a live release that captures the sonic goodness Verve had back in the day. If you can't find it, I'll send you my mp3's that i've gathered from it.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 PM
oceanic
Just glad to be here.

Try the album "69" by the band A.R. Kane. It's like a dub-reggae-shoegaze fusion and it's delicious.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank
IF you don't have Voyager 1 Stimp, go track it down. Doubtful you can find the ACTUAL release (it's a bootleg?) but it's a stormer.

It's a live release that captures the sonic goodness Verve had back in the day. If you can't find it, I'll send you my mp3's that i've gathered from it.
I have a good CD copy of Voyager 1, cant hear any artifacts even though its gotta be from vinyl (was never released on CD). Its a bootleg AFAIK, and it wasnt released on Hut in the UK though definitely soundboard.

Try and grab their Camden 1992 gig on video. It should be floating around somewhere. Its Pro-shot for Japanese TV i think. I'll have to get the recordings ive got and gather them up...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Flywaver
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
I have a good CD copy of Voyager 1, cant hear any artifacts even though its gotta be from vinyl (was never released on CD). Its a bootleg AFAIK, and it wasnt released on Hut in the UK though definitely soundboard.

Try and grab their Camden 1992 gig on video. It should be floating around somewhere. Its Pro-shot for Japanese TV i think. I'll have to get the recordings ive got and gather them up...
Are we talking before 'All In The Mind' here?
Slide Away was simply awesome track...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Flywaver
vision

I think i rate A Northern Soul as The Verve's finest album and im a sucker for Love Is Noise...
Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywaver View Post
Are we talking before 'All In The Mind' here?
Slide Away was simply awesome track...
All In The Mind was 1992, and the camden show is from that tour. I saw them on that tour (I think it was that tour), they were supporting Spiritualized on their Lazer Guided Melodies tour at the Leadmill in Sheffield.

I'd love a copy of any live stuff from 1992-1994 period.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

i would say Voyager 1 was pre All in the Mind. You have a cD copy? wow. All i have are lousy Mp3's that i scrounged up.

I saw them in 91 or 92 in Athens, GA. It was me, the band and 10 other people smallest show I've ever seen in the 40 watt, but they tore it up. Couldn't believe how few people were in there...
Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Agree with the Lush.
How about some Explosions in the Sky, or The Album Leaf or Mogwai?

Personally, i've always felt "shoegaze" to be a very limited, niche genre. It was well and good when i was a moody, depressed college kid. But we all grow up, and life's frankly more serious than the sentiments of this music express. I guess, if it gets you though whatever and scores your sentimental gloom, that's great. Once you've got bills and job deadlines, the adolescent "charm" kind of wears off...
Old 11-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Flywaver
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Agree with the Lush.
How about some Explosions in the Sky, or The Album Leaf or Mogwai?

Personally, i've always felt "shoegaze" to be a very limited, niche genre. It was well and good when i was a moody, depressed college kid. But we all grow up, and life's frankly more serious than the sentiments of this music express. I guess, if it gets you though whatever and scores your sentimental gloom, that's great. Once you've got bills and job deadlines, the adolescent "charm" kind of wears off...
But alot of bands were too young at the time when there debut albums were that sound.. Ride, The Verve, and Slowdive too i believe progressed to the beginnings of the Britpop genre
Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Leon
bungalow

I've come to love Bowery Electric's Beat. At first I only liked a few tracks on the album that had a more electronic influence, but I'm really into the guitar stuff now, I love it.