Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 07:57 AM
jole
aceontheriver

Karl Hyde- Roots of my music interview
Just found this interview with KH on japanese tv, dont know if any1 posted this earlier so here s the link http://www.guba.com/watch/3000138974.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:53 AM
lloyd
bungalow

Re: Karl Hyde- Roots of my music interview
nice find.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

What a fascinating interview! Who would have known it?? - Karl living in the same village as Geezer Butler from Sabbath and the mighty Robert Plant
Old 08-23-2008, 10:59 AM
swannman
dogless

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned Karl's comment six minutes into the video:

"Our dream is that some younger people will come in and take over Underworld… and that they will become Underworld and Rick and I will move on and do something else together"

I remember this coming up once before (around the time that Rick was in the hospital?), but I thought it had been dismissed as a quote taken out of context...
Old 08-23-2008, 01:13 PM
lloyd
bungalow

they talked about it during a broadcast too I think I remember?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:42 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Yeah, that sentiment has come up at least a couple other times in the last year or so. It'll be interesting to see if they actually make that happen.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:09 AM
jole
aceontheriver

It would be a really big shoes to fill for those to come in, but i dont care i m takin over the vocals.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:34 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannman View Post
"Our dream is that some younger people will come in and take over Underworld… and that they will become Underworld and Rick and I will move on and do something else together"
How funny. This has also been Pet Shop Boys' plan for quite a while, sort of. They intend to continue to write and produce music but get some new, younger people to perform it. Sounds like Underworld want to pass on everything and ride off into the sunset.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymetropolis View Post
Sounds like Underworld want to pass on everything and ride off into the sunset.

I doubt that. Never mind Tomato, Underworld as Rick and Karl are prolific artists in many areas besides music: photography, writing, installation. Their output in the past few years has been amazing and of high quality. But add on top of that the demands of touring, and maybe we see where they're coming from with the sentiments to hand over some of the reins. I don't think they'll ever stop creating. But even though the boys are in great shape, thing is, there's usually a point where bands stop performing live. They're in their 50's. They've got families. Touring is hard nomatter the conditions. That's what i interpret from this quote. The dreaming of handing it over might be wishful thinking, a sort of "wouldn't it be nice not to worry about...", but UW is Rick and Karl. They're irreplaceable.

But i could see more young faces joining up with Tomato/UW creations as in the Art Jams. R&K seem to always welcome collaboration. And what mentors to have!

yet i guess this sort of quote does get me a little down, suggesting good things don't last forever. Enjoy what we have while we have it, kids!