Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > static.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:59 PM
the-star-samurai
never to part this sky

Re: Introduce Yourselves
Hello all~ my name is Monique and I tried to sign up here several times, but all of those times didn't work. Until now, that is. I'm still a high school student about to become a senior next year...holy mackerel. I turn 18 in December, so no voting for me in November! My huge goal in life is to make comic books and be happy. Pretty much.

I've been a huge huge HUGE fan of Underworld since watching the music video for "Two Months Off" in...either 2004 or 2005 and I got incredibly addicted to their music when I downloaded their discography in September 2005 in addition to getting 1992-2002.

I listened to nothing but Underworld for months after that.

I have yet to see them live. Hopefully that August date in New Jersey will be my first time. :>

This year I finally got my hands on Second Toughest In The Infants and Beaucoup Fish, which is super exciting to me. I don't have dubnobasswithmyheadman, but SOMEDAY I WILL GET IT. The Oblivion With Bells t-shirt is my first UW tshirt. So I try to wear it on good days.

I've listened to a few live broadcasts that weren't interrupted by school. (Too bad the upcoming broadcasts will be interrupted by school except for the June date. That one is what I'm grateful for.) Lemonworld 2005 killed me with happiness. Cocoon did the same thing.

Underworld is definitely my favorite band ever due to how different they are as well as how they experiment with their sounds and put it together into some sort of masterpiece. My favorite song of their's is "Best Mamgu Ever", since that song made me so emotional when I heard it the first time. Back when I had gotten pnemonia...before I went to the hospital and missed all those Roundhouse broadcasts. (Coming back from the hospital on the 17th and hearing that there was an illness in the band almost made me cry..!! Especially hearing it was pnemonia as well!)

Uh. I write too much, forgive me. I love going on and on about Underworld. And writing things into detail to get the point across, haha.

It's super nice to meet you all finally after lurking for more than a year.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:10 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-star-samurai View Post

It's super nice to meet you all finally after lurking for more than a year.
super nice to meet you Monique. welcome + keep it dirty!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:56 AM
galama
mouseman

Martin from Macedonia. Been exposed to electronic music at a pretty young age under the influence of my old man who has become a geezer estranged by physical labor in the past 6 years(sine coming to the US) and shows no interest in music what so ever. I took notice of UW sometime around 99 but i am confident that I've heard their tracks before(on the legendary Channel 103, Skopje) without knowing it was them. What got me into Underworld is the energy in their tracks. At first i listened to head-bangers with super mighty drive behind the BPM. Later I started to discover that Rick and Karl have a softer side of them and make music other than "SHOUTING LAGA LAGA". I felt the sincerity behind their slower, acoustic-ambient-downtempo work. The third stage of the addiction was when i started paying attention to the lyrics. What i saw behind the words was the poetry of one incredible individual who I think could be a really good fiction writer that can dive into subtle obscurities and still make sense to UW fans.

When those three stages of the UW experience were put together it became obvious to me that there are very few electronic music acts that have their own recognizable personality and character. That notion was confirmed at my first UW Live in NY in 07.

I must pay my respect to underworldlive.com for being a nexus for everything Underworld and an outlet for the creative products by Rick and Karl and Darren Price now. I enjoy the radio-really good job with that! I enjoy the pictures, books of jam, snippets of future tracks and so on.

I enjoy football and the culture behind it. I like art and photography and I am determined to change some things in the world by influencing one person at a time, as many people as possible during my lifetime.

Looking forward to the All Points West show.

peace, love and all best from Maahtin

www.flickr.com/skopyeah <-- my UW influenced photo album
Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galama View Post
I am determined to change some things in the world by influencing one person at a time, as many people as possible during my lifetime.
High Five!

And welcome to the nut-hatch, galama and the-star-samurai!

Last edited by BeautifulBurnout; 04-24-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

just call me dAvE...

it's a pleasure to be your acquaintance.
my first uw exposure was in 95 - Cowgirl on the Hackers movie soundtrack. it was a little obscure to me back then, but i never skipped the track when it came on. my 2nd exposure was in 97 - Pearl's Girl on the Saint movie soundtrack and immediately i was hooked, however, i didn't make any attempts to find any other tracks by them at the time (i think i was too busy with the female gender at the time). my 3rd exposure which was the major link was also in 97 - Born Slippy. NUXX. i heard it on K-ROQ on Jed the Fish's Catch of the Day one fine afternoon and i immediately NEEDED more. unfortunately, no name of the band or track was given. so for several months i tried various searches of alternate means. little did i know it was underworld - a band i had already been familiar with and liked very much. so my search was put on hold. a few months later, my best friend was married and that very evening (it was an early wedding) - me and a few new friends i had made went out to a club. on the way, in an old Audi - 6 of us packed in a 5 seater - that unmistakable tone came on... i was shouting to the driver (since it was her radio and whom i developed a strong infatuation with due to her obsession with music), "what is that song? who sings that song? where did you get it?!!!" - born slippy, trainspotting soundtrack... this would be my favourite and most memorable uw moments. and so began the great obsession. i have been riding the dark train ever since.
i've had the pleasure of seeing uw perform live 2 times - once in 99 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium and recently in 07 at the Hollywood Bowl. i can't wait for their return to So. Cal.
as for favourite private uw moment - it would probably be the day i went to the beach and sat in the sand looking at the ocean with beaucoup fish in my ears... well a cross between that moment or the moment my daughter came into this world - while at the hospital w/my wife, the nurse brought her to us (all bundled up), and i hit play on my iPod and of course, i had to play Born Slippy. those 2 moments actually go hand in hand because it was at that moment at the beach that made me think about parenthood.

aside from being an uw fan, i draw and i write. i prefer mac over pc and i own a music library of over 30,000 tracks. my life is a soundtrack. i do owe alot of my inspiration to the artistic duo that is Karl Hyde and Rick Smith. and if you're reading, thank you...

Last edited by ultradave; 04-24-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:30 PM
galama
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradave View Post
the moment my daughter came into this world - while at the hospital w/my wife, the nurse brought her to us (all bundled up), and i hit play on my iPod and of course, i had to play Born Slippy. those 2 moments actually go hand in hand because it was at that moment at the beach that made me think about parenthood.
Hey Dave. That is a Moment and a half man! I'm really glad for your parenthood.

@Beautiful Burnout

High Five Back
Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

As the oldest (as far as i know) and most decrepid dirt i wish monique, martin and ultradave a happy time here on the best forum going
Old 04-28-2008, 01:02 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galama View Post
Hey Dave. That is a Moment and a half man! I'm really glad for your parenthood.
thanks mouseman!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:23 PM
ceramic'cow
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog View Post
As the oldest (as far as i know) and most decrepid dirt i wish monique, martin and ultradave a happy time here on the best forum going

You're not so special as you think . . .

See?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Insulter
The lunatic of maniacal

hey, i'm someone and i enjoy underworld's arranged tones'n'drones['n'otherstuff].

first underworld song i heard was probably fricken' born slippy.nuxx on a big day out compilation. so yes i am australian! [more personal info follows].

my favourite underworld song is... uh... either mosaic, cowgirl [winjer mix], ansum, dinosaur adventure 3D, thing in a book or 020202. hard to D-Side. i'm not a big fan of the singles and all that. and i dislike vocal emphasis in music, so yeah, i avoid some of their output like the plague! still, been a solid listener for 4 years or so now.

otherwise i mostly listen to dark ambient... various forms of "post-rock"... recent, "difficult" prog music... led zeppelin... avant-garde metal... yeah. anything really. also a big fan of mainstream 90's/80's pop and such. basically, "organized" noises (boring, i know).

never seen underworld live. or anyone "notable" for that matter. i saw some local metalcore gigs. they were pretty good. haw haw.

oh, and i must say i love pizza for eggs! literally!!