Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:48 AM
negative1

Underworld - "MADE IN ROMFORD" Sweat shirts plus Totes
In the shop:

*Introducing our new Limited Edition 'MADE IN ROMFORD' collection!*
*Every sweatshirt orders comes with a FREE 'Made In Romford' tote bag!*
“It has this can-do spirit. Nothing’s impossible. To me, Romford is as rich an environment as Manhattan.” Karl Hyde, the Guardian

Romford has always been an integral part of the Underworld story. In the band’s early years, the East London satellite town almost became its own character in Karl Hyde’s diaries - an end of the line reference point among Dirty Epic’s sainted rhythms or the light at the end of a tunnel in Born Slippy: NUXX’s fever dream.

As much an influence on the band as the grimy streets of New York or London’s underground club scene in the early ’90s, Romford was where it all came together, there in the spare bedroom of a two-up, two-down terrace house a ten minute walk from the station - a location as pivotal in Underworld’s story as Studio Two, Abbey Road was to The Beatles or Kling Klang studio in Dusseldorf is to Kraftwerk. Lofty claims, maybe, but rarely has a sound and the energy of the location taken on such a unique form.

The journey from London to Romford was its own story. Transit to and from the city was either via by the A12 Autobahn or on the drunk train out of Liverpool Street. Each would give its own account of the metropolis somewhere off shimmering in the distance. The lights and the voices along that journey proved a constant source of inspiration to both the music and the lyrics of Underworld records.

Romford has always been worn as badge of pride for Underworld. It’s the reason they’ve chosen to name their signature clothing line in tribute to the place, a range of short run items that promise to be imbued with the spirit of the place. Each item will allow you - wherever you are in the world - to finally lay a claim to have been Made in Romford.

later
Old 03-01-2022, 01:43 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Re: Underworld - Sweat shirts plus Romford Totes
More font stuff. where's the cool images?
Old 03-03-2022, 05:25 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

yeah font stuff, but not even really engaging font stuff. this is one of the first batches I didn't order anything from.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:19 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
yeah font stuff, but not even really engaging font stuff. this is one of the first batches I didn't order anything from.
Right there with you.

uw0006
Old 03-06-2022, 01:50 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

focusing on the positive here, I do like the cheeky comma for dirty epic. considering that one.
but overall, this isn't it.
why is their merch so minimal? there's so much to play with, even as, and preferably with, font-only stuff! fill the canvas, stop this tepid crap. get weird, get dirty. lines! interruptions! unreadables! love of the form, for fuck's sake.

Last edited by dubman; 03-06-2022 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:37 AM
melontang
river

i bought the beautiful burnout sweater, but i wish they would make more interesting merch. they have Tomato right there after all
Old 03-10-2022, 09:23 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

is tomato even a thing anymore?
Old 03-10-2022, 10:58 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
is tomato even a thing anymore?
It's mostly Simon these days. I think Michael Horsham and Dylan Kendle are still involved, but in more peripheral roles these days. Dylan recently worked on the deluxe box set reissues along with Simon. R+K are still minority stakeholders, but they never really worked on the graphic side.

All the rest have left and divested their interest.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:27 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

I miss AnT. He gave us Swing Up High.