Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 AM
iamneorev
pants

Re: The Prodigy announce new single/new album
E-mail sent out announcing "Need Some1" single premiere on Annie Mac tonight as well as video premiere on YouTube afterwards...

No Tourists album title and cover art announced on their Instagram...

And you didn't believe me.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:56 AM
iamneorev
pants

Preorder: https://theprodigy.tmstor.es
Old 07-19-2018, 04:27 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Slightly less annoying than anything on Invaders Must Die, but...sigh...same old (and tired) sounds. Is that really a glass breaking percussion hit? C'mon,Liam, you're better than that. Or are you, considering the style hasn't changed since Fat of the Land?

Yeah, I realize Prodigy have always been aggressive rave/rock, but whereas Jilted and FoTL seemed cutting edge and a little dangerous, everything since has been in the same vein and less exciting as a result. I can't listen to Invaders or TDiME without hitting skip because it's just an onslaught of nonsense and big beats without any of the melody or build of their 90's tunes like Climbatize or Narcotic Suite ( ok, AONO had a few interesting tracks like Girls and Memphis Bells, mostly because they were different from the shouty Keith and Maxim nonsense and it was after the backlash of the truly awful Baby's Got a Temper, a.k.a. Firestarter 2.0)

Points for consistency. I'm sure this will go down great live.
Negative marks for creativity.

Last edited by holden; 07-19-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:06 AM
iamneorev
pants

A new clip of a Prodigy track...
Old 08-24-2018, 05:49 PM
holden
collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
A new clip of a Prodigy track...

Voodoo People v. 2018. Yawn. But then, what's old eventually comes around again as cutting edge.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:59 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Voodoo People v. 2018. Yawn. But then, what's old eventually comes around again as cutting edge.
You mean Their Law, he's using the Their Law synth preset, but playing different notes. The rest of the clip sounds absolutely nothing like Their Law or Voodoo People.

If this is bothering you now, then you haven't been paying close attention. Liam has been reusing/resampling sounds since the beginning.

- The opening of Smack My Bitch Up goes all the way back to Crazy Man in 1992
- Out Of Space bells have appeared in Diesel Power and Omen
- Everybody In The Place roll effect in The Big Gundown
- Rhythm Of Life and Break And Enter and his Jesus Jones remix shares bits and pieces

...just to name a few. There's little sounds ripped out and reused all over. Liam has always been about sampling, not just others but also himself.

Pay close attention.

Last edited by iamneorev; 08-25-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:35 PM
holden
collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
You mean Their Law, he's using the Their Law synth preset, but playing different notes. The rest of the clip sounds absolutely nothing like Their Law or Voodoo People.

If this is bothering you now, then you haven't been paying close attention. Liam has been reusing/resampling sounds since the beginning.

- The opening of Smack My Bitch Up goes all the way back to Crazy Man in 1992
- Out Of Space bells have appeared in Diesel Power and Omen
- Everybody In The Place roll effect in The Big Gundown
- Rhythm Of Life and Break And Enter and his Jesus Jones remix shares bits and pieces

...just to name a few. There's little sounds ripped out and reused all over. Liam has always been about sampling, not just others but also himself.

Pay close attention.
Sampling oneself is fine (see Chemical Brothers), I suppose, and i know Liam has dug deep with other people's sounds to create new tunes. I'll withhold further judgement until I hear the full album. I'm just not impressed by Need Some 1 or really anything beyond AONO. It just is all in the same vein of tough guy aggro with hardly any melody or progression. prodigy wasn't like that in the 90's, so I know what they're capable of achieving. Maybe No Tourists will be a progression of style after all. But till it's out, I reserve the right to opine that these clips sound like ground already covered.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:58 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Sampling oneself is fine (see Chemical Brothers), I suppose, and i know Liam has dug deep with other people's sounds to create new tunes. I'll withhold further judgement until I hear the full album. I'm just not impressed by Need Some 1 or really anything beyond AONO. It just is all in the same vein of tough guy aggro with hardly any melody or progression. prodigy wasn't like that in the 90's, so I know what they're capable of achieving. Maybe No Tourists will be a progression of style after all. But till it's out, I reserve the right to opine that these clips sound like ground already covered.
It's all good, I haven't been blown away by an Underworld album in full from front to back since Beaucoup Fish. They've written some great songs since, but no albums that have enthralled like their big 3. All these legendary 90s electronic artists seem to have their big 3. Sure, I can put on any Underworld and listen to it. I don't mean that they suck and I hate it. It just doesn't excite me as much as say Dubnobass or Second Toughest or BF, but still not terrible albums.

Personally, I have enjoyed more material off The Prodigy's AONO to TDIME than Underworld's AHDO to BBWFASF. But hey, to each their own. It depends on the mood you're looking for. I have the same feeling for Chemical Brothers. They have never matched the greatness of EPD, DYOH, and Surrender. I LOVE Surrender. But for the most part I can put on any Chem Bros album and not hate it. But many of these artists don't match the greatness of their earlier stuff, but still enjoyable to me.

I enjoyed IMD and TDIME, AONO was 50/50. Have they had as much of an impact on me as Experience, Jilted, or Fat? No. But I still enjoy them. Prodigy are all about playing live now. It's where they make their money. So they write music that hits hard live... and these new tracks work live.

As for Chems, Push The Button and Born In The Echoes are on the bottom for me. Barking and BBWFASF are on the bottom of my Underworld list. Again, I don't hate these albums, just don't enjoy them as much as the others. But they don't want to make me claw my ears out like a Creed or Nickelback or David Guetta or Katy Perry album.

Shockingly, I thought Orbital's Wonky was their best album. I know, blasphemy, but I really enjoyed that album. I also love In Sides and Snivilization. Excited to see how Monsters Exist turns out.

Last edited by iamneorev; 08-25-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:12 PM
holden
collateral damage

Cheers, friend, I get you!

It's tough to be a fan of long-standing acts that go through phases of evolution, status quo, return to the safety of the expected. I've had my ebbs and troughs with all the bands you mention. Thankfully, I've found enough in their latter day output to keep Cheering!

Believe it or not, I really liked the Prodigy in the past. I wish the best for their new album. I'd given up on the Chems after Push the Button, but Further renewed my devotion. Underworlds Barking isn't my fave, but I did like the change in scope and introspection of Bbwfasf.
Orbital have come and gone a few times, so I always appreciate that they have new music. But while Blue was a safe Gambit, and Wonky was a bit of a throwback, they show sparks of new creativity. T b d. (PS loving P.h.u.k.)

Hybrid is another band I left for dead after I choose noise, as orchstral scores with some breakbeat. But Disappear Here in 2010 totally changed the playbook. I'm excited by their new album and shifting direction.

In sum, I appreciate your allegiance to a band you love. Some people on this forum will defend anything Underworld produces. But as you've seen with the latest Iggy Pop collaborations, there's a healthy debate. I wonder how it is in the Prodigy forums?

Ultimately, musical taste is subjective. I'll check out No Tourists, definitely. I hope to like what I hear, because Prodigy was one of the bands that introduced me to electronic dance genres.

Last edited by holden; 08-25-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:24 PM
iamneorev
pants

Yeah, Push The Button didn't do it for me. It's definitely on the bottom of the Chemical Brothers album list. I did like We Are The Night though, thought it was a step up and more enjoyable than PTB. Further was the closest I heard them get to their classic Big 3 sound and quite enjoyed it. They should have included Don't Think on the album and I could have done without Escape Velocity or if it was much later in the album. Born In The Echoes has a few solid tracks (EML Ritual, Under Neon Lights, Reflexion), but the rest were a bit meh. I like more tracks on BITE than PTB, so I guess BITE takes second to last place.

As for Prodigy fans, it's 50/50. You got folks who only like their first 3 albums and that's it and you got others who still love what they do. They made a ton of new fans with Invaders Must Die who are still around. They're actually doing quite well. Honestly, going back to their earlier albums, they always lose some old fans and gain new ones with each new album. I don't think The Prodigy care about breaking new ground or inventing a new genre, they just wanna do what they do best, have fun traveling, and playing loud/hard tracks that hit live.

Leftfield's third album Alternative Light Source was a bit underwhelming. Then again, it is really only one half of Leftfield now. Hard to top Leftism and Rhythm And Stealth. Leftism gets all the praise, but R&S is my jam.

I miss Fluke. I fucking love Risotto. Oto is also good. But man, for me, Risotto is a masterpiece. I wish they would reunite.

I thought Underworld lost something when Darren Emerson left. I will say Barbara Barbara is a step up from Barking. Twenty Three Blue should have been on the album. I did enjoy the Riverrun series and hope they reissue stuff from that era like they have been doing for each album.

Last edited by iamneorev; 08-29-2018 at 10:40 AM.