Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Kein
Yankee Doodle

Send a message via AIM to Kein
Cornelius - Sensuous
I just got this today and have been giving it a listen sounds good! Its like a more refined version of Point, which is a good thing. Anybody else out there given it a listen and want to chime in?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: Cornelius - Sensuous
Is this guy Japanese? Like the Cornelius who is remixing songs by ex-YMO members?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Bargo
pants

Yeah, he's Japanese and quite prolific in remixing other people's tracks.

I really loved Sensuous too and it's definitely in the top 10 I sent along to Matt for this year. It took me a few listens to get into it, because - as was said - it definitely does sound like Point++. Which disappointed me, because if you look at the differences in style and sound between his prior albums ("First Question Award" to "69/96", then to "Fantasma", then to "Point"), he practically reinvents and rejuvinates his sound in each one. That's not really the case in Sensuous, and I couldn't help but start mapping songs between the albums (ie. Fit Song reminds me of Point of View Point, Gum reminds me of I Hate Hate, Wataridori reminds me of Another View Point, etc etc)

However once I stopped trying to be an amateur critic and actually listened to the songs themselves (and it probably helped that I was able to see him play the album live a few weeks back) it actually clicked and now I absolutely adore it. Even though I think the best song from the Sensuous sessions is not even one that's on the album, it's the b-side "Cue" from the single for "Breezin'".

Anyway, yeah, top stuff.

Last edited by Bargo; 12-20-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Kein
Yankee Doodle

Send a message via AIM to Kein
You don't live in the US do you Bargo? If he came to the states and I missed him im going to be pretty pissed. Im still reeling from the last show I saw of his from about 5 years ago.

It also seems to me like every time he remixes someone elses track it always comes off sounding like a Fantasma B side. Same sound effects and all. That might just be me but I dont think so.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:11 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

it hasnt seen stateside release yet.

i like it okay but i keep thinking it's yet to really click.

wataridori/gum combo = love.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Bargo
pants

Nah, I'm in Australia.. he did a whirlwind tour through here a few weeks back, I'm not sure whether it was part of a global one though. Looks like he's playing gigs in Japan for most of this month.

It was a truly great show, I swear the band members must be psychically linked or something.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:18 PM
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargo
I think the best song from the Sensuous sessions is not even one that's on the album, it's the b-side "Cue" from the single for "Breezin'".
I picked that up, it's good, but I think the Yellow Magic Orchestra original is better...one of the best electro-pop ballads ever made!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Bargo
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
I picked that up, it's good, but I think the Yellow Magic Orchestra original is better...one of the best electro-pop ballads ever made!
Wow, I didn't even know it was a cover. Thanks for the info! I grabbed YMO's version and it's great.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 PM
blue

I finally picked up this one (after I got all his other ones) and I do like it quite a bit...as mentioned the combo of Wataridori and Gum is fantastic. I think that Point may be better but only slightly.

Oh, and he's playing in Chicago on May 7th...I would have to skip classes to be there (the classes before finals no less!) so I need to know is it worth it? I am seeing LCD on the 6th (my birthday!) so it would make me very sad if I couldn't see him...but school's important too isn't it??
Old 03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Bargo
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
Oh, and he's playing in Chicago on May 7th...I would have to skip classes to be there (the classes before finals no less!) so I need to know is it worth it? I am seeing LCD on the 6th (my birthday!) so it would make me very sad if I couldn't see him...but school's important too isn't it??
If you haven't seen him live before (and I'm assuming by your post that you haven't), then yes, it definitely is. He puts on a fantastic show. The songs don't differ too much from their album counterparts, but the band are just amazingly tight and jaw-droppingly good in parts. Wataridori was just phenemonal, and so was the opening moments of the concert (which I won't spoil, because it's cool.. though I liked the Point tour's "play behind the curtain" opening better).

I've seen him on both the Point and Sensuous tours.. the only disappointing thing about seeing him the second time around was that a lot of the concert was very reminiscent of the first time I saw him. And it was a bit short, around 80 minutes.

Edit: I hereby absolve myself of any responsibility if you fail your exam though

Last edited by Bargo; 03-26-2007 at 11:55 PM.