Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Re: Important Message About Sarah Palin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I've been spending a lot of time overseas lately too and in addition to agreeing with you on those two points, the third thing I'm consistantly struck by is American obesity. I always know when I'm getting on my connecting flight that's going to an American city because there are suddenly way more obese people boarding the plane. It's alarming.
okay, that's crap too. we really aren't all fat, that's a european delusion. come over here and see for yourself. i mean, if you go by the technical definition of "obese" which is a BMI of 30, which would fit this guy (who i googled BMI 30 for):

then, yeah, a lot of us are obese. but if you're talking about people like this:

then you're full of crap. in senior year there was a german girl who come over on a foreign exchange program, and we went on a theatre trip together. i asked her what europeans thought of americans. she said "they think you're all fat. like really fat. i haven't seen anyone like that since i've arrived."

so, are we overweight as a society? yeah, we're pudgy. but is there a higher percentage of morbidly obese people in the united states? i don't see anything to lead me to believe that.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
yeah, sean, but nobody wants this corporate tied hawkish crap that we've had in every president since at least the first bush. pretty much everyone is tired of goverment getting involved in business (not regulation, bailouts), everyone is tired of invading other countries for no particular reason (oil), everybody is tired of corporate interests in washington, and finally everyone is tired of people claiming they have nothing to do with any of those things and getting tied up in it.
Yeah that's pretty much the spirit of it I think. Its not that Bush and Obama are the same because clearly they aren't. Its that people's frustrations under both presidents have been generally the same. Except that for Bush it was the republicans giving the litany of excuses why things were getting worse, and now under Obama its the democrats giving the litany of excuses why things are getting worse.

In my opinion, no support for the president is ever more important than support for the country and fixing its problems.

So yeah, I'm done with Obama because I'm done with presidents overstepping the constitution when declaring wars, not balancing the budget, not investing in science and education, not curbing wall street influence, not divorcing corporate interests with government, etc.

- Mark Twain

Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
okay, that's crap too. we really aren't all fat, that's a european delusion. come over here and see for yourself. i mean, if you go by the technical definition of "obese" which is a BMI of 30, which would fit this guy (who i googled BMI 30 for):

then, yeah, a lot of us are obese. but if you're talking about people like this:

then you're full of crap. in senior year there was a german girl who come over on a foreign exchange program, and we went on a theatre trip together. i asked her what europeans thought of americans. she said "they think you're all fat. like really fat. i haven't seen anyone like that since i've arrived."

so, are we overweight as a society? yeah, we're pudgy. but is there a higher percentage of morbidly obese people in the united states? i don't see anything to lead me to believe that.
dude we are so incredibly fat, I don't know where you've been, but its important to note that its also location specific. If you've been hanging around with your german exchange student friend in more affluent neighborhoods that's one thing. Take her to Walmart on the other side of town, then see what she thinks.

- Mark Twain

Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
For me, I wonder how much of this sentiment is accurate, and how much is the result of anti-Obama rhetoric. I don't personally buy into the claims of Obama and Bush being the same. Yes, Obama is clearly more of a centerist and pragmatist than leftists and progressives would have liked, but to compare, say, Libya to either Iraq or Afghanistan (and don't get me wrong - I didn't want us to get involved in Libya), or the approaches to taxes, or the whole health care issue, or Don't Ask Don't Tell, etc. reveals pretty significant differences.

I just heard a piece on NPR about gay activists being frustrated that yes, there have been positive developments for them under Obama, but not as much as they want, so they're upset with him. I'm far more sick of people expecting that they should be getting everything they want instead of accepting that this is a nation of vastly differing views and beliefs, and that the compromise this necessitates means progress will always be slow. When one group is getting everything they want, then other groups are invariably getting nothing that they want. That's selfish and untenable to me.
I totally see what you're saying about being able to compromise and accept that change has to happen on its own time.

I'm coming from the perspective that we are

* 4th from the bottom in inequality of wealth between rich and poor
* experiencing a drop in life expectancy, the first time in our history
* about to surpass our GDP with our Dept, and soon the interest servicing will absorb all of our GDP
* below places like sweden, canada, in terms of social mobility.

blah blah blah.

it's endless and for me its clear from just this that we have a leadership crisis, because I don't for a minute believe the american people aren't capable of doing better for themselves.

- Mark Twain

Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
okay, that's crap too. we really aren't all fat, that's a european delusion. come over here and see for yourself.
I'm an American who lives in Los Angeles and travels a lot for work and pleasure. And I can tell you from my firsthand experiences that yes, we are absolutely a fatter nation than most. I am not kidding that as soon as you board an international flight bound for the U.S. after being overseas for a while, you will absolutely be aware of the sudden increase in the number of obese people on the plane. I see it every single time. And I'm heading overseas again this Friday. I'll let you know on my return in a few weeks if I see the same again.

Quote:
i mean, if you go by the technical definition of "obese" which is a BMI of 30, which would fit this guy (who i googled BMI 30 for):

then you're full of crap.
I agree that the BMI classifications are out of whack and seem to make little sense. I'm talking about overly large, out of shape looking people. The kind of people that you hope won't be in the seat next to you because you'll be crowded by them.

Quote:
in senior year there was a german girl who come over on a foreign exchange program, and we went on a theatre trip together. i asked her what europeans thought of americans. she said "they think you're all fat. like really fat. i haven't seen anyone like that since i've arrived."

Again, I see it all the time in my national and international travels. Have you been overseas much?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
yeah, sean, but nobody wants this corporate tied hawkish crap that we've had in every president since at least the first bush. pretty much everyone is tired of goverment getting involved in business (not regulation, bailouts), everyone is tired of invading other countries for no particular reason (oil), everybody is tired of corporate interests in washington, and finally everyone is tired of people claiming they have nothing to do with any of those things and getting tied up in it.

those things i listed above are common in both the campaign rhetoric of the democrats and the republicans, because that's how people feel. they want their rights back and they want their money to stop being sent to thieves and used to wage war against people we don't even understand. and we keep asking for it, and we believe every guy that comes along and says he's not those things— bush said it, obama said it, and they both are tied up in all of that garbage. yes, obama is on the left side of the aisle and is passing environmental and health care reform. but when it comes to how the government works and wastes everyone's money and wastes young peoples' lives, he's just like bush. and i don't think the republican candidate will be any different.
Yeah, I agree with that. I just find the "Obama is the same as Bush" position to be a bit rhetorical and frankly, lazy. That doesn't mean I don't take issue with a host of things Obama has done. It just means I don't buy the equating of the two as accurate.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
I totally see what you're saying about being able to compromise and accept that change has to happen on its own time.

I'm coming from the perspective that we are

* 4th from the bottom in inequality of wealth between rich and poor
* experiencing a drop in life expectancy, the first time in our history
* about to surpass our GDP with our Dept, and soon the interest servicing will absorb all of our GDP
* below places like sweden, canada, in terms of social mobility.

blah blah blah.

it's endless and for me its clear from just this that we have a leadership crisis, because I don't for a minute believe the american people aren't capable of doing better for themselves.
That's fair enough. I agree on all those points.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Strangelet
rico suave

hey Sean, where is your photo stream these days. you always take interesting pictures.

- Mark Twain

Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
hey Sean, where is your photo stream these days. you always take interesting pictures.
Thanks man! Great to hear that you enjoy them.

You can browse through all the collections here: http://www.tabblo.com/studio/view/tabblos/grandbrother/

But here's the direct link to the latest - some shots I got in Sanjay Gandhi National Park in India a month or so back. Most of them were taken in and around a network of 2000 year old man made caves that served as buddhist temples and homes: http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/view/1823130/

My understanding is that the caves were all cut out of the side of the hills using nothing more than hammers and chisels - and there are over 100 of them! Absolutely amazing. Enjoy, and thanks again!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Romney and Bachmann are neck and neck in a new poll.