Dirty Forums > world.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: fuck religion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hicks
all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
there y'all are!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
Originally Posted by froopy seal View Post
There's a 'fuck religion'?

This might make me shift from agnostic to fanatic...
LOL!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Proof View Post
I'm pretty comfortable asserting that if people didn't have religion as reason to slaughter that they'd find something else. People are the problem, as evidenced by the fact that there are many that are exposed to religion and don't have a violent reaction with it. The people that wish to be led around by promises on paper from Jesus, Allah, Buddha and would kill in the name of them are psychotic. Or at least it seems that way, especially to consider that if I was asked to kill someone in the name of religion, strong believer or not, I'd laugh and flip the bird. Because after all, a sane person doesn't need religion or law to understand that killing is wrong. I believe that the sane person, though potentially ignorant of the law, knows from their gut what evil and wrong is and is not.

So, I say unto you in return, don't fuck religion. Fuck people. Fuck people and their ignorant, stupid dysfunctions, neuroses and beliefs. This earth is not big enough for the two of us, me and the rest of them, that is... but I will suffer though because regardless of how angry people make me, killing is still wrong... and I'm sane.

Good post!........i just hate the way religion shapes and distorts the world and all the irrationalism that goes with it, that's why i say 'fuck it'!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I think what I would say is: fuck dogma. Religious, political, scientific, whatever. And fuck irrationalism.

If I'm permitted one dogma of my own without contradicting myself, it is that there have to be minds open and flexible enough to reason. Without those minds, there's simply no way to begin resolving our differences.

Dogmatic thinking says no, I'm not shifting, it's wrong, it is what it is, it's written in stone, questioning it is wrong/blasphemous/unscientific/disrespectful/un-American/etc.
In other words: There is only one absolute: That there are no absolutes in the universe.

Quote:
(or at least until we're supplanted by our silicon successors )
I'm counting on peaceful transcendental Space Odyssee beings...
Old 09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by froopy seal View Post
In other words: There is only one absolute: That there are no absolutes in the universe.
Yup, that's the sort of thing. (See also: being intolerant of intolerance, hating hate, and so on....)
Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
True, of course there are gradations. I doubt anyone would deny that.

Also no question that there's a lot of good that comes from religion, and a lot of good people who are religious. (Mostly, it has to be said, the ones who don't take their holy book too literally.)

The problem is that 'the bad' is a natural end product of something fundamental about religion: the whole 'decision-making-based-on-unshakeable-faith-in-absolute-truth' thing. With the best will in the world, there is no escaping that.

And while there are other culprits in that regard (e.g. nationalism), religion really is unmatched in the scale and scope to which it personifies this mindset.

Ultimately, the closed-mind is the problem.
I was going to comment in this thread but this post pretty much says it all. I mean people can come up with the idea of "ethnic cleansing" or other atrocities without religion. A twisted mind is going to justify whatever it wants however it wants. The problem is people, not religion.