Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Re: corporatism sucks (IE transformers 2, IE Crunch)
I love the fact that Life Inc. is published by Random House, which is owned by Bertelsmann AG, a transnational media corporation.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm skyscraper View Post
I love the fact that Life Inc. is published by Random House, which is owned by Bertelsmann AG, a transnational media corporation.
Yeah, you know what? that just refutes everything. lets go to the mall.

Ok yes, on some level, it is just another meme to push, another book to sell off the new nonfiction table at barnes and nobel, and most of the time people who push against corporatism using corporatism just end up looking ridiculous or make things even worse. An anarchist protesting the imf while wearing nikes comes to mind.

But then Rushkoff is not out to get rid of corporations. Even if it were possible, which he thinks it isn't. Education, refocusing efforts to community and local environment, learning to rely on other people, giving grass roots economic systems a fighting chance to be a viable alternative is the point. removing government/business collusion, regulation hijacking, freer markets.... Basically putting human happiness as a more central measure of a company's success, a little bit at a time.

My personal interest just not to live in a beige box sprawl, getting poisoned, and numbered, wondering if I'm the consumer or the thing being consumed.

- Mark Twain

Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Urban planning.

Incidentally I didn't buy this book in barnes and nobel, i bought it at Pages, an independent bookstore in toronto. it was one of the only new book they stocked. They aren't buying more books because they have to move because they can no longer afford the rent. Their location, queen street, used to be a haven for artists and their independent stores. That means yuppies wanted to live near there to be hip. But with the yuppies comes the chain box stores to support their consumer habits. All of a sudden, real estate rises in value, forcing the artists who were just renting to move out. the same thing is happening in brooklyn and god knows where.

Jane Jacobs is a house hold name in Canada. Her ideas have been bundled up into a system called new urbanism. which basically means making urban planning around multi use, work and living is combined. the idea is to design things such that people are forced to interact with each other.

During the heat waves of 95 in chicago, it was discovered that two neighborhoods, each with the same number of elderly, had drastically different rates of mortality. Jacobs cites the reason is that one neighborhood was more socially connected than the other. So people knew who the elderly were and had no problems checking on them.

- Mark Twain

Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Strangelet
rico suave

mmm skyscraper, you might find this interesting.

from life inc, page 218

Quote:
Besides, no matter how critical of corporatism some entertainers and journalists might be, the impact of their arguments is undercut by their dependence on corporatized media for dissemination. Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewert work for Viacom. Naomi Klein writes for a division of the german publisher Verlagsgruppe, and this book is published by a subsidiary of Bertelsmann. We all have mortages to pay even the most progressive journalism - just the like the kind that emerged in the early 1900's- tend to frighten and isolate the middle classes rather than bering them out of their homes to improve their communities....

The problem with fighting the "Big Blank" on its own turf and terms is that it has more money, more access to the government and media through which the battle takes place, better command of the symbols and semantics tha sway public sentiment, and more time to spend waiting for the results it wants. Real people working against it, on the other hand, need to keep alive, employed, and motivated. We need to steer clear of actionable copyright violation and libel, shield ourselves from the emotional damage caused by Internet "trolls" paid to insult or lie about us online, and still manage to maintain an audience willing to listen to what we have to say and then to actually do something about it instead of just nodding, passing on a link, and closing the computer for the night.
Well I'm going to do something, goddammit. I'm going to Hot Topic and buy a "che" shirt.

- Mark Twain

Old 07-25-2009, 10:41 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Are you sure you're not gay?

Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ View Post
Are you sure you're not gay?
ask your mom...

- Mark Twain

Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ

She said, "Oh, all the way gay".

Old 07-25-2009, 11:49 AM
cacophony
disquietude

the infrastructure that develops around economies of scale destroys any chance for true capitalism to flourish.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:06 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ

Not with "they" or "them":

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...911796,00.html

Oh, and this too. Would it not be lovely if New Jersey was the only place runnning shit like this?:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...912761,00.html

Oh, BTW, no one EVER changes teams now, do they? More shit be told, or, maybe not, with this random scam.

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 07-25-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Health Care Reform or, Ask Your Doctor if pillofdeath Is Right for you

Big Pharma spends twice as much on advertisement as they do on research and development.

Quote:
according to a study by two York University researchers estimates the U.S. pharmaceutical industry spends almost twice as much on promotion as it does on research and development, contrary to the industry’s claim.
http://www.zmescience.com/big-pharma...-than-research

Big Pharma creates new diseases to repackage old drugs. Example being PPMD which is basically PMS in new packaging. Women, are you sure your bloating and irritability isn't something more menacing? Better err on the side of caution and take Sarafem (TM). (it's fucking prozac, but costing three times as much)

Quote:
So that it can jump-start sales and distinguish the PMS therapy from the antidepressant, Lilly will not call the PMS product Prozac, but rename the identical compound Sarafem.
How's that for feminine-sounding? I can see the TV ads: earth tones, Martha Stewart-style scenery, close-up of doting but obviously preoccupied mother (Joan Lunden lookalike) with child (girl) in designer kitchen (sub-zero refrigerator, Corian countertops, GE Profile stovetop), voice-over of caring doctor (female) gently hawking Sarafem ("for those times of the month when women need something extra") and a fade to twin smiles while kneeling and removing steaming cake from oven.

http://www.salon.com/health/feature/2000/07/18/pms/

The reason they do that is maintain a new patent, as the horizon on existing patents come to term. Only 14% of emerging drugs given FDA approval between 1998-2004 can be scientifically considered to be new and improving an existing drug. And only 8% more can be considered an demonstrably enhanced version of an existing drug. 78% are "me too" drugs that are existing compounds. Its dramatically cheaper to market existing drugs than create new ones.

- Mark Twain