Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:05 PM
vflow
defrosting machinery

Re: New Album: Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future (March 18, 2016)
Excellent album!
For me, Twenty Three Blue works best between Low Burn (what a track) and Santiago Cuatro.

Nylon Strung should be a single. But please, NO REMIXES. Just a couple of 23B-like outtakes for b-sides.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Dino3D
pants

For me Low Burn is the highlight of the album. Reminds me of Orbital's heavenly techno.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:06 AM
pandamagic
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3D View Post
Anyone have the japanese CD? It would be good to be know about the packiging, booklet...etc. Mine is still on the way.

I'm really into this packaging. Miles better than Barking and A Hundred Days Off.
The button was a nice surprise too - not sure if it's just included with the Japanese release or if it comes with all orders . . .
Old 03-22-2016, 09:36 AM
bazwint
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamagic View Post
The button was a nice surprise too - not sure if it's just included with the Japanese release or if it comes with all orders . . .
No button but I got a sticker (front cover design) with my copy.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Dino3D
pants

Thanks for the photos! Can't wait for my copy!!!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:46 PM
pandamagic
river

I'm quite glad I shelled out the $$$ for the Japanese release - I seem to be one of the few people who actually prefers "twenty three blue" as the last track. "nylon strung" is a very uplifting, sincere track (almost basic, even) so I appreciate how "23 blue" just comes along and undercuts all of that with its dark descent into the abyss. It really problematizes the whole experience of the album and makes it a less straightforward listen, which I find intriguing. It's like "nylon strung" is the euphoric climax and "23 blue" is the ruthless comedown, leaving you a bit unsettled but satisfied in knowing that you made it all the way to the end of the journey.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Dino3D
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamagic View Post
I'm quite glad I shelled out the $$$ for the Japanese release - I seem to be one of the few people who actually prefers "twenty three blue" as the last track. "nylon strung" is a very uplifting, sincere track (almost basic, even) so I appreciate how "23 blue" just comes along and undercuts all of that with its dark descent into the abyss. It really problematizes the whole experience of the album and makes it a less straightforward listen, which I find intriguing. It's like "nylon strung" is the euphoric climax and "23 blue" is the ruthless comedown, leaving you a bit unsettled but satisfied in knowing that you made it all the way to the end of the journey.
Totally agree! 23 is the perfect closer. Nylon is not like a proper closer track, it's too uplifting and leave the album as an open case.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Dino3D
pants

I especially love that the japan's back cover doesn't mention 23 as a bonus track (just on the obi strip), so it feels like more a proper album track.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 AM
ThingInABook
vision

hello, i came to float.

in fact, i decided to appear today cos i got my book+cd version yesterday (i used to wait months for my underworld records and now...). when i opened the mailer, the first thing i read was:

"written & recorded in Essex & Chile"

look at that. my fave band recorded in my home country and i had no idea. i was totally freaking out. look at me, a regular adult hugging a record somewhere in montreal. so yeah, when i got back home, i realized that the things i used to point and laugh from the record (the luna, luna, luna lyrics and the "santiago cuatro" name) made loads of sense.

The "luna, luna, luna/in love with" in If Rah might be a direct translation of the chrous of this song:

luna, luna, luna/tu sabes que la quiero (moon, moon, moon/you know i love her)

so yeah, this is a popular song in chile, i think it's played in every party. i know the lyrics by heart, i'm not joking. it's an old saund song (saund is the phonetic pronunciation of the word "sound", which was popular genre of tropical music during the '90s) and some people even chant the chorus when they see a full moon (me included). probably karl overheard the lyrics somewhere.

also, i said during my rants in twitter of how much i dislike Barbara, Barbara that Santiago Cuatro sounds like a Nueva Musica Chilena/Neofolklor track, cos it honestly sounds like that. oh yeah, another coincidence.

i think i've overlooked Barbara for what it is. i think i'm gonna sit down, shut up and listen the thing during the weekend.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

That is a fantastic bit of information that gives a whole new light to Karl's lyrics and further links to Chile. Thanks for that, really fantastic! Would never have known