Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:58 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

2008-08-16 Underworld @ Lowlands 2008
Just got back from this great festival. Underworld played the saturday night at the main (Alpha) stage. Of course I was there
They seemed to be having technical problems troughout the show but managed to cover it up well enough (my friend who is not that familiar with Underworld and had not seen them live yet said he didn't notice any problems). They started off with Crocodile but before they could build up the track it seemed one of the computers crashed and Karl was left to bridge some time doing acapella vocals. Rick managed to get the beats going again though but for the first ten minutes or so it was more or less a very stripped down Crocodile beat. Then after a while it sounded like they had more problems and finally they switched to a very short version of Everybody Jack before starting Glam Bucket. This went off without a hitch with some lenghty guitar work at the end by Karl who was doing his best rock-star impression.
After Glam Bucket they played Jumbo, Rez/Cowgirl, Two Months Off, Lenny Penne/Small Conker.../You do Scribble (awesome!), then King of Snake and of course Nuxx. Again somewhere in the middle the audio dropped out and Karl again was left acapella, stuck at "lager lager lager" for what seemed like a minute or so :P. They finally closed the set with Pearl's Girl, which had the pitch shifting effects on the breakbeat like the version they played at one of the radioshows a while ago.

Despite the dropouts it was still a solid set. Of course it being a festival it was relatively short (about 1h 25 mins) but it was still nice to hear some not quite so familiar tunes in there like Glam Bucket and You do Scribble.

set list roundup:

Crocodile
Everybody Jack
Glam Bucket
Jumbo
Rez/Cowgirl
Two Months Off
Lenny Penne/Small Conker and a Twix/You do Scribble
King of Snake
Born Slippy Nuxx
Pearl's Girl
Old 08-17-2008, 03:15 PM
lloyd
bungalow

Re: Underworld @ Lowlands 2008
sounds like you had a good time. pity I couldn't be there.
thnx for the review.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:31 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

btw according to the Lowlands newspaper "Daily Paradise", Underworld will be playing 14th of November in het Klokgebouw in Eindhoven. It's not on uwlive yet but it's the day before the ILT gig, so it makes sense.

Last edited by King of Snake; 08-18-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 AM
DwarfeD

Just got back from the festival as well. Really enjoyed the UW show. Too bad that they were experiencing so many trouble with their gear, but I still loved it. My friends didn't even noticed it The version of Glam Bucket with Karl on guitar really made my day. It was pretty hard en the crowd loved it. I hope 3voor12 will get permission to put the set online, since I really wanna hear this one again!

In the festival newspaper on saturday (called 'Daily Paradise') it was mentioned that the guys will come back to Holland on 14 november to play in Eindhoven at the Klokgebouw. So I'm guess I'm going to see them for the 4th time this year!

Other highlights of the festival were The Roots, RóisÃ*n Murphy and Deadmau5.

uw0769
Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM
DaddyAdv
pants

Born Slippy on youtube with upset machines at the lager lager moment - only fans/dirts will notice

ok, found a livestream recording (way too much crowd shots ...)

"live and direct - no tapes involved in the process"

Last edited by DaddyAdv; 08-18-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 AM
DaddyAdv
pants

BEWARE OF THE EVIL SETLIST MEN !

Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 AM
lloyd
bungalow

Listening back, BS.nuxx was with the piano bit in it again. They used Monkey Wink in the last gigs in the US etc.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:39 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

They've been alternating. Though, since Japan last year, it's been Monkey Wink more often than not. I think it's time to bring back the '96/'99 siren.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
They've been alternating. Though, since Japan last year, it's been Monkey Wink more often than not. I think it's time to bring back the '96/'99 siren.
That was a classic! I'm pretty excited by every live version of NUXX, since it's always subtly different. Though i don't care as much for the 2003 piano chords. What would really be great is working in bits of Deep Pan and Telematic in there (i think they've mixed born slippy into BS.NUXX on occasion, but those other mixes are tasty, too!)
Old 08-23-2008, 11:39 AM
sanakan
junkie-criminal-fugitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyAdv View Post
Born Slippy on youtube with upset machines at the lager lager moment - only fans/dirts will notice

ok, found a livestream recording (way too much crowd shots ...)

"live and direct - no tapes involved in the process"
glück im unglück / a blessing in disguise

lucky the mic & hihat got on playing, and amazing "rescue" work from teh-master-of-the-deck. sounds like a regular break

nice video!