Dirty Forums > announcements.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Welcome to Born Dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eikman View Post
what is it with you guys complaining about black text on white background? do you have your text editors and pdf viewers inverted as well? because the last time i checked it's pretty much the same...
1) optimized browsers
2) message boards don't often display blocks of text, they display single lines with tons of white-space.
3) header bars, icons, dates, etc just add to an eye strain on a white background. it's a usability nono for message boards.

Look at a text-editor like MSWord and then this forum. You can't honestly tell me that it gives off the same eye strain.

I'm being dead honest, and not whiny, but I have a very hard time reading this forum now because of the white. I TOTALLY appreciate the work that went into changing it, and love that its all in one place now, but to me, this site is first and foremost a forum -- and one that I've been using for ~10 years.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Deckard
issue 37

I like. Nice work guys.

All it needs are some shiny new icons n buttons
Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
so, after the obvious troll post i'm going to tell what i really feel about the new site....

it's decent. i think it's a good idea to incorporate the different sources and make it more of a centralized place...they way it actually used to be.

the white is fine with me. what is it with you guys complaining about black text on white background? do you have your text editors and pdf viewers inverted as well? because the last time i checked it's pretty much the same....and nobody complains about google or the new york times being hard on the eyes either....maybe you should optimize your screens.

anyhoo, well done.

but you should definitely clean up the source code. because 115 errors is a lot. and most of it can be easily fixed.
hey eik thanks for the troll and the criticism. we'll fix the errors asap, and we are discussing a variation on a brown theme which may or may not happen. if anyone else has any suggestions then make a note of them and we'll try to take them onboard.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:16 AM
ThingInABook
vision

yeah, i'm supposed to update the icons asap, hope to have that sorted out this weekend.

PLEASE, if you see something unusual (bugs and such) or weird stuff on the style of the forum (excepting the 'it's not brown' thing), send me a PM.

the images used for the header and footer are here: http://www.borndirty.org/2010/09/pro...e-do-scribble/ - this project is still going if anyone wants to donate images
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
if anyone else has any suggestions then make a note of them and we'll try to take them onboard.
There was that temporary forum once, at a different URL, some years back, a restart that went wrong. It had a different colour theme (guess if some users "wanted back the brown"...). Dark blue, red and white maybe? I seem to remember to have liked it. Could I be any more vague?

I'm not a fanatic advocate of the brown theme, but I, too, find that much white hard on the eyes. Therefore, some colour would be highly appreciated.

Apart from that: Brilliant job on the overall design and graphics. Like it more and more. Thanks to everyone involved.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

really minor, but this is really bugging me
Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
but you should definitely clean up the source code. because 115 errors is a lot. and most of it can be easily fixed.
lol, thanks eikman.. trust you to validate my work your like a customer who tells someone how to do their job hehe...

yeah sorry i havent got around to validating yet, i will work on the bugs gradually... but for now, if it works in your browser we are fine... but yes, over the next couple of weeks these errors will disapear.

any major issues, you can pm me or anyone else on teamdirty.

mike
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagenaki koe View Post

really minor, but this is really bugging me
yeah, thats actually intentional, not a sloppy mistake...
Old 09-04-2010, 01:54 AM
grady
fac321

I like the change and the structural movement from unofficial 'official' to official official.

I am going to be one of those erudite individuals who has always liked, and admired the choice of brown as a forum background. It's always been the opposite of every other forum I've frequented over the years and the color served to reinforce the messages being displayed, not distract from them.

Just a thought on bringing back the brown.

Otherwise, good work.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:00 AM
cacophony
disquietude

Thanks for all your hard work on this, guys. The brown served us well but it was time for a change. The header looks great.

So how official is "official?"