Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 03:40 PM
kid cue
ryooong

Re: metal metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPea
Another related difference is that it seems to me that dubstep like more urban cultures (this is just my assumption though), promotes group culture, gang activity (not that is promoted but that it is a reality in the scene) and so on. In the other hand metal (at least in a philosophical level, maybe not so much in practice) it lionizes individiualism, it hates mass culture to some extent.
mmm .. but yeah, in practice (like you say) metal is all about this mass, right? literally: everyone sort of flinging their long oily hair together and generating this nasty hairy organism. not to mention the moshpit. dubstep has a similar effect (through bass) but it doesn't have a particular ethos, certainly doesn't promote "gang activity" -- i think you're talking about grime -- the only attitude that's consistently held up in dubstep is 'good, peaceful vibes' ... hence tracks like "Anti-War Dub" and etc. despite being generally dark as hell.

the similarity that Reynolds and others are bringing up is the fact that both metal and dubstep (in general) take themselves very seriously, have no time for irony, and it shows in the very genuine feeling of participation and release at live events. they're both appealing to people (like me) who are more or less fed up with pop, PoMo, and indie poseurs. but, i do think it's more of a coincidence that there is any musical similarity between them. you're right, dubstep is 'urban', but it also sees itself that way, whereas the reality is that the sound spreads on the internet, and i'm sure a good number of up-and-coming producers must be suburban.

another compare/contrast that i like is that dubstep focuses on low-end, massive sub-bass, which has this warm, enveloping effect, whereas (black) metal is all about midrange and treble, these hairy scratchy lo-fi voices and guitar tones, which makes me feel like i'm suffocating. it's definitely the darkest music i've ever heard.

Last edited by kid cue; 03-06-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:01 AM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Send a message via AIM to GreenPea
Quote:
mmm .. but yeah, in practice (like you say) metal is all about this mass, right? literally: everyone sort of flinging their long oily hair together and generating this nasty hairy organism.
In practice metal culture is actually very global and tribal and has always been, even before the internet, there are a huge amount of bands from South America, Japan etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
dubstep has a similar effect (through bass) but it doesn't have a particular ethos, certainly doesn't promote "gang activity" -- i think you're talking about grime --
My ignorance shows. I tend to associate dubstep with grime as I heard about both around the same time, both originated in the UK and every time I've heard people differentiate between dubsteb and grime I've only seen the difference explained on a musical level rather than ethos. So basically I thought that a lot of producers did both grime and dubsteb.

Quote:
the similarity that Reynolds and others are bringing up is the fact that both metal and dubstep (in general) take themselves very seriously, have no time for irony, and it shows in the very genuine feeling of participation and release at live events. they're both appealing to people (like me) who are more or less fed up with pop, PoMo, and indie poseurs.
Yeah, and this is something that has always bothered me. What the fuck people mean with listening to music for "ironic reasons"? Or the whole ironic t-shirt thing too as a matter of fact.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:12 PM
kid cue
ryooong

for a really awesome metal/jungle/breakcore mashup, check the Drumcorps album Grist

samples here: http://www.aaronspectre.com/
Old 03-08-2007, 01:18 PM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Send a message via AIM to GreenPea
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
for a really awesome metal/jungle/breakcore mashup, check the Drumcorps album Grist

samples here: http://www.aaronspectre.com/
Still have no internet at home. I'll check it out as soon as I can.