Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:56 PM
sola sistim
a firestorm to purifyyyyy

Send a message via MSN to sola sistim
Re: metal metal
i actually cant stand black metal.. pretty much hate it.
anyone like hardcore/metalcore type stuff?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:45 AM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Send a message via AIM to GreenPea
Quote:
Originally Posted by sola sistim
i actually cant stand black metal.. pretty much hate it.
anyone like hardcore/metalcore type stuff?
I like some really old school hardcore namely Minor Threat, Black Flag(?). Suicidal Tendencies (is this hardcore...?) but honestly I haven't heard much of the classic NYHC stuff, I need to listen to some Agnostic Front or w/e. Hmmm...actually I like Sick of It All too. As for metalcore I also know little about (except that it has a really bad rep :P) but I've been diggin the last Converge record.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:11 AM
sola sistim
a firestorm to purifyyyyy

Send a message via MSN to sola sistim
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPea
I like some really old school hardcore namely Minor Threat, Black Flag(?). Suicidal Tendencies (is this hardcore...?) but honestly I haven't heard much of the classic NYHC stuff, I need to listen to some Agnostic Front or w/e. Hmmm...actually I like Sick of It All too. As for metalcore I also know little about (except that it has a really bad rep :P) but I've been diggin the last Converge record.
niiiiiiiiiice.
Terror, Madball are both good. i dont mind Minor Threat.
Terror, Hatebreed,Converge,SOIA,Comeback Kid are touring soon. soo keen for Terror [supporting Hatebreed]. havnt listened to new Converge and havnt really heard any SOIA, but CBK are supporting so i might go. Misery Signals were here not long ago, but missed them
pretty much all my fav. Hardcore bands are OZ based.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:46 AM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
Erick have you heard the Xasthur album Subliminal Genocide? somebody said it was like shoegazer black metal ( but kinda )
I don't know if this is what you were talking about, I just found this article today by reading Simon Reynolds blog.

http://codepoetics.com/poetix/?p=355

Doomgazer.... I hope that term does not catch on. I am worried that Xasthur's acceptance by the mainstream may lead the dude to commit suicide.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
kid cue
ryooong

i hadn't read that article - doomgazer is a horrible word - but i do love the Xasthur tracks you put in your mixtape. i am really interested in doomier stuff though - anything you'd recommend? have you heard any of these:

khanate - khanate
sleep - dopesmoker
sunno))) - black one
earth - earth 2
grief - torso
corrupted - llenandose de gusanos
burning witch - crippled lucifer
electric wizard, saint vitus, etc etc.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:13 PM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

I've heard all those bands (although not necessarily those albums), except for Grief that I haven't listened to at all.

Khanate - This band is the most abstract, minimalist, angular and avant-garde of the lot. It also has an INSANE vocalist that rambles very abstract lyrics. The self titled album is a great place to start.
Sleep - Dopesmoker/Jerusalem. This is on my list of stuff to get. There is a Sleep track on the Gummo soundtrack that is great though, and that is the Sleep I've heard.
Sunn 0))) - Black One. Sunn is THE drone doom band. I love this album because is actually a huge progression for the band, instead of the constant monolithic subsonic drone we have a lot of noise/black metal added to the mix. Someone said this was the logical conclusion to everything metal, the evil and darkness with all the structured/musical elements of metal (melody, catchy riffs, beats) removed so it is 100% darkness.
Earth - Earth 2. The originators of drone doom. I would say this album is the most basic and minimal drone doom, without any sort of fanciness in the form of vocals, drums, FX. Early Sunn sounds like this album.
Incidentally I really like the new Earth material too although it is very different to Earth 2.
Corrupted - I haven't heard as much as I like, their releases are hard to get. They are basically heavy as fuck and crazy as only the japanese can be. The most unexpected thing the first time I've heard them is that they have this long instrumental/melodic post-rock like sections on their songs which are actually incredibly beautiful. This is the soft-loud technique taken to a new extreme.
Burning Witch - Basically the band prior to Sunn, same key members. I havent actually heard it as their CD is out of print and it goes for insane prizes at eBay.

In the mixtape I also included Thorr's Hammer which is another SOMA/Anderson band with a 17 year old girl doing the vocals. I like that band a lot too, also I recommend Boris - Amplifier Worship, this album is actually heavy as fuck and nothing like what Boris is doing now. The 4 last songs in that mix are doom bands.
There is also EyeHateGod which is on list of stuff to buy. The little bit I've heard is good.

Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Pentagram, Candlemass, Cathedral are a very different style of doom which is very retro and they basically sound like early Black Sabbath...I don't like Pentagram, Candlemass, Cathedral that much mainly because of the vocals that tend to be in the high pitched style but sometimes I am in the mood for it. Saint Vitus I have't heard (shame), The Obsessed I have heard and to my surprise I like them even though they are very retro, Saint Vitus is probably similar as it has the same vocalist.

You are missing Funeral Doom which is basically slowed down Death Metal. I haven't listened to that many bands in this genre but some that come to mind: disemBOWELMENT (kind of primitive and the blueprint for many other bands), Asunder (it has a member of Weakling, and for some reason I find a lot of Weakling elements on this band), Skepticism, Thergothon, Nortt.

Also although not really doom, The Melvins are an inspiration of a lot of doom bands, mainly on the heaviness department.

Enjoy!

P.S. Also check Unearthly Trance - The Trident

Last edited by GreenPea; 02-14-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 PM
djeddy
chacabon! macaron!

Quote:
Also although not really doom, The Melvins are an inspiration of a lot of doom bands, mainly on the heaviness department.
Hey erick..

i tried to find you online but you werent on..

sorry for bringing this up right now, but you left your winger t-shirt at jessica's. you better get it before that cow starts to wear it and stretch out the arm cuffs.

your friend,
eddy
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 AM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeddy
Hey erick..

i tried to find you online but you werent on..

sorry for bringing this up right now, but you left your winger t-shirt at jessica's. you better get it before that cow starts to wear it and stretch out the arm cuffs.

your friend,
eddy
>.< Are you sure it was not my Stryper one?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:29 AM
kid cue
ryooong

thanks so much for the breakdown Erick. picked up the SunnO))) today and love it!!

my metalhead friend is old-school and recommends: Anathema, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
You know this album is a classic supposedly. I have to track it down, it is out of print though

Your friend has awesome taste
A little pricey, but here are some...