Dirty Forums > craft.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:15 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Re: Everybody Was Euro-Dancing
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
haha well nothing wrong with Snap-Rhythm is a Dancer or Haddaway-What is Love at least but it needed a bit more stuff like this:

or this

and of course this:
True, Wonderful Days should have been in there. How could I omit it??? Maybe for a second vol., there's still some tunes out there...
Old 01-25-2010, 06:27 AM
froopy seal

Quote:
btw what did you use to make this mix and where did you get the tracks?
a technical thing: the sound is quite glitchy in places (probably a timestretching artifact) which makes it kind of annoying to listen to to be quite honest.
You are, of course, right, and I noticed as well, but couldn't correct all the timestretching artifacts because I'm a n00b.

I made it with the, err, demo version of Live. The problem is probably caused by the shabby source files which are usual-quality MP3s (i.e., 128+ kbit/s) from 90s CD compilations. Strangely, different parts of the mix sound differently glitchy - but not altogether consistent with the amount of warping. Another funny thing is that the mix sounds most awful in Live, best as a .wav in Audacity, and somewhere in between as an MP3 in the website player.

Do you have any suggestions for proper artifact correction, KoS?

P.S.: Luckily, my friends don't have your ears, so they didn't complain. Also, the party's general sound level might have helped.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

well the main thing you have to keep in mind if you're mixing in Live it to set the warp mode for the tracks to either Complex or Repitch.
Repitch is best since it doesn't degrade the quality or introduce any artifacts, but it works just a like a record player so if you speed a tune up or slow it done too much from it's original tempo it will sound pitched too low or too high.
Complex mode will keep the pitch as it was in the original regardless of what the tempo is, but it does tend to make the sound a bit soft and "digital" although it shouldn't introduce any real glitchy artifacts like you might get at the other modes (beats or tones)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Camiel
Audio in Distress

Quote:
well the main thing you have to keep in mind if you're mixing in Live it to set the warp mode for the tracks to either Complex or Repitch.
Repitch is best since it doesn't degrade the quality or introduce any artifacts, but it works just a like a record player so if you speed a tune up or slow it done too much from it's original tempo it will sound pitched too low or too high.
Complex mode will keep the pitch as it was in the original regardless of what the tempo is, but it does tend to make the sound a bit soft and "digital" although it shouldn't introduce any real glitchy artifacts like you might get at the other modes (beats or tones)
But does the demo version of Live feature those algorithms?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

the demo version should be exactly the same as the normal version, it's just time limited.
I think even the Lite version has all the warping algorithms.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:37 AM
froopy seal

Quote:
the demo version should be exactly the same as the normal version, it's just time limited.
I think even the Lite version has all the warping algorithms.
That's what it said on the website at least, everything should be in there.

Thanks for the hints, KoS, I'll check out that Complex/Repitch thingy.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 AM
froopy seal

It was a lot easier than I thought: With a single click, I changed the Warp Mode from Beats (the default option) to Re-Pitch for all tracks except "There Is A Party", which I set to Complex warping because Senor BoBo sounded much too squeaky, instead of boyishly cheesy.

Btw, I find your assessment that Complex mode makes a track sound "digital" and soft very appropriate. But then, Eurodance MP3s aren't exactly the most valuable source material to begin with...

Thanks again for the explanations and pointing me in the right direction, KoS! Would you mind giving it another listen?
http://www.kraasbackje.com/2010/01/1...-euro-dancing/