Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:46 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: Cornelius - Sensuous
No I haven't seen him, I have only known about him for three months! I guess I will have to tell my professors I will be out that day. Not that they'll understand! :/

It is disappointing that he only plays about 80 minutes...I would imagine he does most of Point and Sensuous now...anything of Fantasma? I would love to see Count Five Six and that Magoo Opening track...I love it!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:39 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

well, this one was a dud for me, i sort of went with it and then just kid of dropped it. i forgot all about it until this thread was bumped, but it's seeing stateside release fairly soon...
Old 03-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Bargo
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
No I haven't seen him, I have only known about him for three months! I guess I will have to tell my professors I will be out that day. Not that they'll understand! :/

It is disappointing that he only plays about 80 minutes...I would imagine he does most of Point and Sensuous now...anything of Fantasma? I would love to see Count Five Six and that Magoo Opening track...I love it!
Yep, he did a few from Fantasma (Count Five Six, Star Fruit Surf Rider..). Not a lot from the earlier albums except Brand New Season and a b-side I can't remember the name of. You're right in that most of it is Point/Sensuous. The visuals are great too, if you haven't seen any of his music videos, you're in for a treat.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Kein
Yankee Doodle

Send a message via AIM to Kein
I am going to that chicago show in May. And I can tell you that its worth your $15. He is a fantastic performer in addition to being a fantastic musician,which is a rare commodity in music today.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

I got this last week (finally I check and the UK release is out) and basically it's Point but less good. Point was full of proper songs and deep layered instrumentals with a couple of weird short pieces (Bug and I Hate Hate) which worked in the context of the album. This one tries the same formula but doesn't have the ideas and makes you wish he'd just record Fly or something again. This should have had more ideas and more depth. I don't dislike it, it's just that with Point he showed us he could write some really interesting, kind-of-danceable, experimental pop music. Here he's leaned heavily towards the experimental which manifests itself in running one idea into the ground per track and leaving each track almost completely devoid of a groove.

Does anyone else think that the sampled vocal bits on Gum sound like KK Slider from Animal Crossing?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:00 PM
blue

Okay, you guys were right, the show was amazing. The videos were really awesome (especially Tone Twilight Zone, Like a Rolling Stone, and Fit Song), and we were front and center. He picked the guy next to me to come on stage and help him play the theremin, and I got to play his little calculator sampling device. Everything was so well synched up and rehearsed that it just may be the greatest show I've ever seen. A friend of mine that I took wants me to make him a CD with all the songs he played on it, and besides I want a setlist as well, so if anyone who went can help me with this:

Breezin
Waitidori
Gum
Smoke
Drop
Tone Twilight Zone
Count Five or Six
I Hate Hate
Brand New Season
Point of View Point
Like a Rolling Stone
Beep It
Music
Fit Song
Star Fruit Surf Rider
Sensuous

and for the encore:
Some cool jam track (if anyone knows what this is, I'd really appriciate it!!)
Sleep Warm

Go see it if you have a chance! Especially if you weren't quite convinced on Sensuous - I still don't think it's as good as Point or Fantasma (then again, not much is) but it really gives you a cool idea of what the album's about. His technique is great, I just wish some of the songs were fleshed out a little more. Still, Waitidori is amazing (during the show, he got it out of sync for a couple of seconds, which really made me realize how hard it would be to play a song where the reverb is half the melody) and Fit Song is easily one of his best.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Bargo
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
Some cool jam track (if anyone knows what this is, I'd really appriciate it!!)
Glad to hear you had a good time. With regards to the track above, you're most likely referring to the track "E" (which I don't think has been on any albums or singles).

Did it sound similar to the one in ?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:29 AM
blue

Yeaah, that's it! That's the one where we got to play the calculator-type device. I wish he'd release that track...as much as I like songs like Drop, Breezin, or whatever, when the band really got down to it and rocked out it totally ruled, especially during I Hate Hate...who knew they could actually play that fast?? The video of the boxers synched up to Count Five or Six was really fantastic too.

Also, you're right about the opening...the silhouettes of the band members flashing on the curtain while they played bits and pieces of Beat It, Close Encounters, and even two of the themes from Super Mario Bros. was really cool. After hearing that my friend, who never even heard of the guy, said "this is going to be a great show, I can tell". Was it similar for Point?

It's a strange thread, this one...on page one I don't even know who Cornelius is, just that he sounds familiar, and now here I am raving about how great his live show is.

Last edited by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j; 05-10-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

2 UK shows coming up at the end of the month, both of which will be a pain in the arse for me to get to. Feel I should make the effort though. Sounds good!