06. Ova Nova : <3
07. Nylon Strung : <3

08. 23 Blue :

Last edited by Yannick; 03-13-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: 23 blue landed
Old 03-01-2016, 11:06 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: BB Reviews
01. I Exhale : a beat that sounds like what old rockers use to show they still got it, a teeth-gritting "ohhh god" combination of decisions that i really laughed at, trying to enjoy destroying my favorite band in my head. and then i liked it? it's still not good? but i like it? maybe it's good? oh god this is how i start liking hold music.
02. If Rah : The one that found itself in a soundtrack it doesnt belong to. the one that sold itself to, i dunno, some bank ad. that big room synth is asking to end up somewhere it shouldn't, it's begging for it. i still like it ffs. it's got early 90s corny swagger.
03. Low Burn : <3 <3 the unique underworld blend of calm and vibrant that i've been conditioned to respond to with a whole lot of love since i was 13.
04. Santiago Cuatro : like a perfectly steady hand. it's fine.
05. Motorhome : thbbbbt. spare me these bad beeps.
06. Ova Nova : <3 heavy jumbo beat with all these layers murmurating together wonderfully. that little bell!
07. Nylon Strung : there's a point in an action movie that goes too long, when there's so much calamity, it just emphasizes how you're sitting in a room watching pictures do their best to excite you. it's nothing to get mad about, but it does feel like it's just playing with air. i have hope it'll click.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:17 AM
Bargo
pants

I Exhale: Still really enjoy it. Good opener for the album.
If Rah: Perplexes me, I neither really get into it, nor dislike it. Which probably means that eventually there'll be some mood or context in which I listen to it and it'll suddenly click and I'll listen to it obsessively. But not right now.
Low Burn: Enjoy it a lot. Gives me the same sort of happy vibes as Jumbo, but lyrically it doesn't do much for me, certainly no "tiny wires in her ears, sliding through the city" that's for sure.
Santiago Cuatro: It's fine, but feels a bit like a bridge from A to B. Doesn't really feel like it possesses anything that would make me want to seek it out as an individual listen.
Motorhome: Enjoying it. Totally get the Chemical Brothers vibe mentioned in the other thread.
Ova Nova: Probably my #2 favourite on the album after I Exhale. Can see this getting a lot of repeats.
Nylon Strung: Female vocals were a surprise (not unwelcome, either). I'd like to see what they do with this in a live setting. Pretty okay as it currently stands.

The album feels like it's over far too soon. I'll be interested to see what effect the additional track has on that overall feeling.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:22 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

I Exhale -
If Rah -
Low Burn -
Santiago Quatro - :|
Motorhome -
Ova Nova -
Nylon Strung -
Old 03-02-2016, 06:39 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
I Exhale - Love the way it builds, but overall meh... sounds like a throw away track from River run
If Rah - Again Love the way it builds, but overall meh... sounds like a throw away track from River run
Low Burn - The album really start here for me
Santiago Quatro -
Motorhome -
Ova Nova - the explanation of this being one of the first tracks they worked on seems appropriate. Totally could have been part of the opening ceremony music for the olympics
Nylon Strung -

damn this album is short.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:30 AM
darkvoice
mouseman

- I Exhale: Too long, no real progression and no way a worthy first single. But listening to it on headphones you discover more layers to it.
- If Rah: I like this song... :-) It gets in your head and I am mumbling the tones during the day. Also starts with a break beat and progresses into a steady house beat. Like that!
- Low Burn: This is one of my favorites and the most recognizable typical UW track? Great ambient feeling, 'Kittens' kind of percussion. Nice.
- Santiago Cuatro: First part of the song makes me really happy. But then nothing really new happens and that's a bit dissapointing.
- Motorhome: Have to listen to it more. Little bit to soft. I am missing a nasty touch to it at the end (rez / cowgirl kind of progression). Would it be great to hear them make some real noise again?
- Ova Nova: Starts to grow on me. Little bit too poppy and could have been an Air song...
- Nylon Strung: Love this song, but it does not feel Underworld. It could be a radio hit if they release it with a great video. And please no fifty year old guy jumping around in this one.

This brings me to someting else: the presentation live. Underworld's focus live is more like a band nowadays and I think the focus should be more on the music / visuals. The band on stage is not very interesting: (a nerdy Rick and a chubby Darren behind the machines with a less moving Karl next to it). I'm missing tomatos input with mind blowing visuals / special effects.

But hee.. I am in Paradiso at the end of month and I will love it ;-)

Last edited by darkvoice; 03-02-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Nylon Strung is my fav. on the album, followed by Santiago Cuatro. After that i'd say Ova Nova and Motorhome, then Low Burn. Really enjoying this album right now. Nice work guys.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:43 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
...followed by Santiago Cuatro.
c'mon. really?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:02 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Yes, really. I love ambient music. I love African guitar music from Mali like Boubacar Traore and Ali Farka Toure. The style of Santiago Cuatro reminds me of that. People like what they like. People don't like what they don't like.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:06 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
Yes, really. I love ambient music. I love African guitar music from Mali like Boubacar Traore and Ali Farka Toure. The style of Santiago Cuatro reminds me of that. People like what they like. People don't like what they don't like.
fair enough.