Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:22 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

Re: single 'Ring Road' will be released on 7th July 2008
It's true, open discussion of music piracy is certain to give any recording artist pause.

However, we're talking about a band who routinely refuses to make available to its fans material we are literally BEGGING to pay money for, and in a variety of formats. The "Sunshine" soundtrack springs immediately to mind, not to mention the Live in Tokyo album when it was first released, this new Japan-only product, numerous singles, remixes and of course out-of-print music. Hell, there is an entire thread dedicated to the problems people are having with trying desperately to buy official live albums -- that all quite similar to one another, I might add.

If Underworld are indeed concerned about piracy, they have every right to be. But if so, I think they ought to consider this particular fan base and give their release strategies a second thought.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:23 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

these are all great points on both sides of the argument. I've always wondered myself if we are the vocal majority or minority when it comes to promises: "I'd absolutely buy that if they released it!!!" Are we really speaking for the majority here? Does UW/music-industry have data to support the opposite? Nothing would be worse than to release a Japan-only tune and have 30 online sales from underworldlive.com but see a thread of 500 people talking about downloading it.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

seriously i think we've gotten off the track and started beating down on UW unfairly

i've never been happy about the release policy in japan - but many bands have different release strategies for different territories... if you are an uber fan that is one of the pit falls...

Coupled with that though, i've never been unhappy with the way Underworld have and always do look after their fans, especially the regular forum posters...

i mean whats happening later today at 6pm??

Underworld, off their own back are sitting down in a studio and playing 2+ hours worth of music (most likely to include some unheard of jems) mainly for people who drop by here reguarly

not everything is clear, release policies and costs may well influence these decisions, and before we bash the boys, i think we will get more and more product available digitally over the coming months... so patience my friends

and to blame the 'live here now' issue on UW is unfair, as is the release of the sunshine soundtrack, which is owned by a different corporation

slating the band themselves won't get stuff released...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Futuregrapher
trom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
i mean whats happening later today at 6pm??
I agree with everything you just said.

BUT I must correct you. The show is tomorrow, not today.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrapher View Post
I agree with everything you just said.

BUT I must correct you. The show is tomorrow, not today.
lol, i'm thinking its wednesday already.... oops..

what day is it today...???
Old 06-10-2008, 07:29 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

GUESS WHAT DIPSHITS? I WAS ABLE TO ORDER THE SHIT THROUGH HMV.CO.JP. IT DOESN"T TAKE A FUCKING GENIUS.

Order the music from HMV.CO.JP or STFU.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
GUESS WHAT DIPSHITS? I WAS ABLE TO ORDER THE SHIT THROUGH HMV.CO.JP. IT DOESN"T TAKE A FUCKING GENIUS.

hey BLD you should work for UW marketing
Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
hey BLD you should work for UW marketing
yeah, well, as you said, Underworld give us fans a ton of free material. it's rude to be so demanding and cheap to them when it's obvious the bottom has fallen out of the market for physical products. The Bells collection is gorgeous and not that difficult to obtain. in fact, it's simple as fuck. i combined orders and will be receiving the Oblivion Ball + Boy Boy Boy singles at the same time. It was very, very easy to do. And before you bitches start complaining about money, I earn worthless American Dollars and not very many of them.

No matter what UW do there are loads of unhappy people complaining about it. I closely follow a few different bands and Underworld are by far the most generous of them all.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:36 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

i heartly agree - it costs a bit more to get the CD from Japan, but fuck it - its got to be worth it - want / like underworld or not - that is the question... if not then stop bitchin about it...

UW do certainly do more than almost any other band - especially conversing and sharing stuff with us, not all of it musical - which i think is even better...

i'm not gonna list the things we've been given for nothing but its a lot (and even when we get given stuff - seems like some people moan about that too... but thats another story...)
Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post

wow, I don't know if its my mood or what, but I'm suddenly filled with annoyance over this post. The worst part is, I agree with you. I think I just learned a lesson in forum tone and approach.