Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Underworld visits ATL
Ah, now I understand why Underworld is only visiting the southeast US in March. It's basically a stop-over on their way from the U.K. to South America. Well, maybe we can hope for a more comprehensive U.S. tour in August then.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:50 AM
third.toughest
Was Bruce Lee-now...

What are the names of hotels within walking distance? Do they have vancancies for that weekend? If I have to get a hotel farther, does the city have a "curfew"? ie. what time do shows usually end? I would hate to get stranded by the MARTA if we're out too late...
Old 02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
geoff
lay it on me two donuts

third.toughest:

I am staying here: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...n-17th-street/

It's only 1 block away from the gig, and close to the MARTA station as well. Here's a google map that shows all three:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,0.007521&z=17
Old 02-23-2008, 02:42 PM
cacophony
disquietude

if marta is determining your curfew, consider yourself cut off at 2:00 a.m. you'll want to do any travelling around prior to that. of course there are always cabs, but it's not like you can just step up to the curb and flag one down.

i love the little buildings on that map. you can see my building where i work! NE corner of 14th and peachtree, called colony square. which, i should add, is an excellent place to find a bunch of relatively cheap eateries if you're staying nearby and you're watching your pennies while you're in town. it's basically like a mall food court without the mall (starbucks, chick fil a, great wraps, blimpie, moes, goldberg's deli and a few chinese options). it's open weekends as well as weekdays. there's also a lovely thai place right in the front of the 100 colony square building. and there's a lovely, if a bit pricier, place called shout in the same building. there's another place called TAP across the street if you're looking for drinks, and if you really feel like a fine meal you can head west on 14th from colony square (cross over peachtree) to have a much pricier plate at a place called trio. it's marvelous, but you're not getting out of there cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff
It's only 1 block away from the gig, and close to the MARTA station as well. Here's a google map that shows all three:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,0.007521&z=17
from where your start point is pinned, you're easily walking distance to the venue. no need to drive and loop up to get around the one way street that is 17th.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 PM
gillenium

Nice. I'm staying at this hotel, too! Thanks for the restaurant info. I was worried that it might be hard to find a cheap place to eat. When I saw Chemical Brothers in Brooklyn, there was only one place to eat around my hotel (in a bad part of town. It was closest so we ate there, lol). Some of the best pizza I've ever had.

What food is Atlanta famous for?..
Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

That's not much of a question... the Varsity is what Atlanta is famous for.... HOWEVER, if you are vegetarian or have a hard time with grease, avoid at all costs...

There's lots of food nearby, just make your way to peachtree street and walk south... The VORTEX is there and has excellent burgers, a great beer selection ,etc
Old 02-23-2008, 09:47 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillenium
What food is Atlanta famous for?..
well it's the south so you can always get your hands on good soul food. i recommend a place called eats on ponce de leon. they serve all kinds of stuff but if you're looking for traditional southern meat-and-two or meat-and-three or collard greens, etc, that's a good place to start. really casual and cheap, too.

it's like any other major city. every style of food is represented in one way or another. please please please don't consider the varsity. like crank said, it's greasy and really terrible. i think people only continue to go there and recommend it because they've been doing so for generations. somehow the pop culture surrounding the place hasn't diminished in spite of the fact that the food is worse than generic fast food. really really terrible.

definitely check out the vortex. and if you are renting a car or have a friend in town to show you around, visit little 5 points. awesome shops including my favorite record store, a place called wax 'n' facts. great place for awesome vinyl finds.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 AM
third.toughest
Was Bruce Lee-now...

Thanks, Geoff!! The wife and I decided to stay here. I am so excited I think i might pee my pants (again!!) My parents are driving down from NC to see us and them. It is my dad's 1st but will be my 3rd!!!!!!!!

So, about the venue. Is it all seats to the stage or will there be a dance floor? The pics at its site look like seats but the tix I have are general admission. Has anyone been there? Is it great? How are the acoustics? I looks pretty intimate. Does anyone have any idea if there will be recordings for sale after?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:18 AM
disko_stew
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by third.toughest
So, about the venue. Is it all seats to the stage or will there be a dance floor? The pics at its site look like seats but the tix I have are general admission. Has anyone been there? Is it great? How are the acoustics? I looks pretty intimate. Does anyone have any idea if there will be recordings for sale after?
i've seen one gig at the venue and the floor was open, no seats. the seats wrap around in a semi-circle. at that show, the whole venue was GA, seats and floor. i would imagine it is the same for u/w. we sat/stood about 3rd row up dead center and the sound was fantastic. i think the acoustics are pretty good anywhere in the venue, as the circular shape would help distribute the sound better than some other smaller atl venues where i've seen shows - roxy, variety, masquerade (horrid sound in there), etc, but i am no expert in sound. it is an intimate little venue and i'm extremely excited to be able to see u/w in a place this small. should be nothing short of amazing.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:29 AM
third.toughest
Was Bruce Lee-now...

Do they allow cameras?