Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 12:52 PM
sanakan
junkie-criminal-fugitive

Re: R.I.P. Oink
i thought this might interest some of you...

The Pirate Bay To Bring Back OiNK
Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanakan
i thought this might interest some of you...

The Pirate Bay To Bring Back OiNK
yeah, i read that too...but it doesn't really mean much,
since it defeats the original purpose of what oink was.
(i didn't have an invite either though).

Old 10-26-2007, 11:31 PM
winjer
mouseman

How does the recover process work exactly? I've been too busy to look into it yet...
Old 10-27-2007, 04:11 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Keep an eye on TehPaine's blog. http://tehpaine.blogspot.com/

He tells about scam sites, about piratebays tribute to oink (also not oink), and also an IRC q&a with oink himself and the current situation. he also discusses the FUD from the police and the innacuracies in the newspapers.

Main points: there is no oink fund, so dont donate to anywhere. the only people who have access to the database backups are the admins, and Oink never ever charged for music (but we knew that already, right).
Old 10-27-2007, 03:23 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjer
How does the recover process work exactly? I've been too busy to look into it yet...
go here for all the details : http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

main points :
[COLOR=#000099]SpinRite can run on any PC compatible system with a 32-bit Intel or AMD processor and a color screen. The previous SpinRite v5.0 is available to v6.0 owners who need to run SpinRite on older 16-bit 8086/80286 systems and/or monochrome screens.
SpinRite is self-contained, including its own bootable FreeDOS operating system. It can be used on any operating system and any file system. This means it can run on drives formatted with Windows XP's NTFS and all other older FAT formats (in addition to all Linux, Novell, and all other file systems.) It can be used to pre-qualify and certify unformatted hard drives before their first use. Drives on non-PC platforms, such as Apple Macintosh or TiVo, may be temporarily relocated to a PC motherboard for data recovery, maintenance and repair by SpinRite.
SpinRite provides complete interaction with IDE-interface PATA (parallel ATA) and SATA (Serial ATA) drives, and it can also be used with any other type of drive — SCSI, USB, 1394/Firewire — that can be made visible to DOS through the addition of controller BIOS or add-on DOS drivers. To obtain the best performance, IDE drives can be temporarily removed from their external USB or Firewire cases and attached directly to the PC motherboard.
Note: See the SATA knowledgebase article for specific information about SpinRite v6.0's operation with SATA drives and controllers

and

[COLOR=#000099]At its maximum depth of operation, performing a complete read/write/read/write for data recovery and surface analysis/verification, SpinRite can obtain extremely high speeds of up to 2 gigabytes per minute, or 120 gigabytes per hour. However, that is SpinRite's maximum speed and many things can cause it to run slower and, in some cases, much slower . . .

If SpinRite hits areas of the drive that require attention, it will pause to take as much time as required to recover data, verify the region, and cause the drive to replace any damage with new spare sectors. If the system's or drive controller BIOS does not support UDMA (ultra direct memory access), all data transfers will probably be slower, if the drive does not support read and/or write caching and/or read-ahead, SpinRite's operation will be slower. And if the drive is non-IDE or running over a USB or Firewire link, SpinRite will likely run slower.

So 2 gigabytes per minute is a best-case speed with a modern drive, high-performance 80-pin cabling, and motherboard or controller supporting Ultra DMA transfers.

================================

i've been running my laptop 24/7 for the last 3 months, and its almost done..

later
[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Last edited by negative1; 10-27-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 AM
grady
fac321

Came across this in an interview with Saul Williams and Trent Reznor today.

What do you think about OiNK being shut down?

Trent: I'll admit I had an account there and frequented it quite often. At the end of the day, what made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store. Pretty much anything you could ever imagine, it was there, and it was there in the format you wanted. If OiNK cost anything, I would certainly have paid, but there isn't the equivalent of that in the retail space right now. iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc. Amazon has potential, but none of them get around the issue of pre-release leaks. And that's what's such a difficult puzzle at the moment. If your favorite band in the world has a leaked record out, do you listen to it or do you not listen to it? People on those boards, they're grateful for the person that uploaded it — they're the hero. They're not stealing it because they're going to make money off of it; they're stealing it because they love the band. I'm not saying that I think OiNK is morally correct, but I do know that it existed because it filled a void of what people want.

link
Old 10-31-2007, 03:28 AM
patrick
river

that is overall a great interview including the other parts... i think it's pretty neat how he paid 5K for the online Radiohead albumn...
Old 10-31-2007, 05:51 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

yeah, i guess he can afford to?, no?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 AM
patrick
river

ya... and also he is releasing an albumn iin the same format, so I guess he strongly believes in this distribution method.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
anyone have a waffles.fm or what.cd invite? please PM me... thank you very much in advance.