Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: REQUEST: Hunting for UW Live Temptation Alexandra Palace NYE 1998 source recordin
UW were supporting New Order for both nights. Temptation I in Manchester was on 12/29, and Temptation II in London was on 12/31, so the dates are wrong in the Gigography.

http://www.new-order.net/no/gigs/#1998
Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 AM
Badger
pants

Re: REQUEST: Hunting for UW Live Temptation Alexandra Palace NYE 1998 source recordin
New Order did play that night on NYE but they were a bit ropey, Bernard's voice was a little hit and miss plus they played through midnight didn't know it had happened, we could all hear Sasha (I think) (EDIT UPDATE it was actually Judge Jules playing at midnight via ISDN) in the other room going off and new year seen in properly and then after the track New Order were playing finished (a couple of minutes after midnight) some roadie ran on and whispered in Bernard's ear that it had gone midnight, Bernard said "Happy New Year" without much conviction then carried on into the next song...most anti-climatic news years I've had when out.

But then Underworld came on and played my favourite set that I'd ever seen just for the amazing versions of everything and the atmosphere after New Order's wet squib of a set.

This is why I'm trying to put together a new upgraded version of the night and thanks to Mike now it will be an even more complete show. Will just hang on for a little while longer to see if we can find anymore sources for the Radio 1 broadcasts.

And when Karl said that quote "Hey look, i'm using autocue" when he was singing Moaner I thought that was just a remix of Moaner until we heard King Of Snake (Bungalow). Unique having the two of them combined that night.

Last edited by Badger; 01-26-2016 at 02:02 AM. Reason: correction
Old 01-26-2016, 01:59 AM
Badger
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
UW were supporting New Order for both nights. Temptation I in Manchester was on 12/29, and Temptation II in London was on 12/31, so the dates are wrong in the Gigography.

http://www.new-order.net/no/gigs/#1998
Yeah the date for the first Temptation show is wrong, but technically the date for Temptation II is correct as Underworld played at 1am...so not on NYE itself but NYD. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UW Temptation Lanyard_0001.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	353   Click image for larger version

Name:	UW Temptation Lanyard_0002.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	354  

Last edited by Badger; 01-26-2016 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:56 AM
markreed
mouseman

Hi Mike

New Order and Underworld played both nights. Chemical Brothers also played the side room at Ally Pally in London around 3am.

I was at both Manchester and London.

Manchester New Order were around 11-12.30, UW around 1.00-3.00 in Manchester

London New Order were 10.45-12.15, UW around 12.45-2.30, Chems around 3.00-5.00? in London

I was a little fucked at the end of those, though seeing the photos brings it back. On NYE New Order started late and had some tech problems, it was intended that “Temptation” would end around 11.58, countdown to midnight, then a big encore of Blue Monday/Fine Time as first songs of 1999. In the end “Temptation” hadn't finished at midnight.

I'd love to get a recording of the Manchester show

I'll see if I can FLAC the CDR, but as I remember, this was in the days of 1GB hard drives, so I probably ripped the tape to MP3. Can't remember now 17 years later. Don't be surprised if its an MP3 source. If you still want it, I'll see if I can find it though it's probably no different from any core source you already have.

Photos are from Manchester, I think. There's a shot of Manchester crowd at the end of “Born Slippy” on everythingeverything DVD – it's the circular hockey bowl type area.

(There's also an indoor shot of Wolves at the end of Born Slippy on EE).
Old 01-26-2016, 05:03 AM
markreed
mouseman

Whilst i remember, and this is spoddy,

1.03.19-21 on this looks like Wolves to me.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by markreed View Post
I'd love to get a recording of the Manchester show
Thanks for all the info Mark. The Manchester show is actually on the tracker.

There is a fantastic guitar improvisation between Push and Rowla.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:54 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Yeah the date for the first Temptation show is wrong, but technically the date for Temptation II is correct as Underworld played at 1am...so not on NYE itself but NYD. :-)
But for the purposes of cataloging the gig dates consistently, you put it down for the date that the event started, regardless of what time the act actually went on. There have been plenty of gigs where UW go on after midnight, but you don't put it down for the next day.

Even the lanyard you posted is proof of that. It says "New Year's Eve 1998" not "New Year's Day 1999"
Old 01-26-2016, 02:21 PM
markreed
mouseman

53:36 is Wolverhampton Civic Hall
1.03.19-21 is Manchester

I was there.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Badger
pants

Yeah I always thought it should be 31.12.98 but thought that the info on there was fairly good so thought a decision had been made to make it 1.1.99. I didn't want to upset anyone saying it should be 31.12.98. ��
Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Badger
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by markreed View Post
On NYE New Order started late and had some tech problems, it was intended that “Temptation” would end around 11.58, countdown to midnight, then a big encore of Blue Monday/Fine Time as first songs of 1999. In the end “Temptation” hadn't finished at midnight.
Now if that had happened that would've been a great way to bring in the new year!