Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:27 AM
lemonjelly
mouseman

Re: DRIFT Series 2 speculation
are we hoping for a WOUW release today? Or are we expecting a break, perhaps til after the shows, with something in the new year?

I'm assuming there will be a period of allowing series 1 to be digested as a whole.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:48 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

I assumed it was over and that we'll get an xmas email saying they'll be back in, like, february with the new plan.

but there's also a bottomless pool of archival possibilities, soooooo.....
Old 11-07-2019, 12:46 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

yeah, normally by now there'd be a treat in my inbox. nada.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:55 PM
purlieu
enofa

I think they deserve a break, even from the archival stuff. My prediction would be Series 2 will be January to December 2020.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:06 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

can't believe these lazy bastards
Old 11-08-2019, 01:24 AM
lemonjelly
mouseman

Guess I was just being phenomenally greedy then!
In that case, I ought place on record my deepest gratitude to everyone for all the releases across the year.
I will trust they're spending the time preparing for the shows in December.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:18 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
So, digging this back up...
Obviously, the pandemic has changed everyone's plans in many ways, and perhaps it's affected Drift series 2. Any insights as to if/when we might hear something new? I've got nothing, just hope...
Old 11-28-2020, 08:43 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Obviously we can't know their reasons but I have been surprised that Underworld didn't start up Drift 2 or some other project during the pandemic. The case for most people seems to have been an abundance of free time. I was just reading about how Kylie Minogue recorded most of her new album at home, even teaching herself how to use Logic so she could engineer her own vocals, and creating a pretty cool live show to stream from home. That's just one example, of course.

That said, it seems unlikely Rick and Karl have just been idle.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:20 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
That said, it seems unlikely Rick and Karl have just been idle.
I agree - it would be surprising if there has been nothing happening creatively. I'm sure they are not holding back any creative output for ego sake, but I am glad they are not jumping on the "lockdown set" bandwagon. After all they were doing it 15 years ago... before COVID-19 existed.

Reading this also made me think about how some of Underworld's creative output has been ahead of it's time, pushing the boundaries of what is possible.

Just some examples:

"Experimental Sound Field" an experiment in audio engineering and resilience in live jamming.

Band updates by Fax:

underworldlive.com - Seeing how the internet could work for them - especially very early days with text / videos diaries / music downloads

Everything, Everything - A superbly engineered live show, and taking advantage of what the DVD format had to offer above a "video" with programable playlists, 2 video "angles" with completely different visuals and additional content available online.

Riverrun - Selling digital downloads on their own store? Was anyone else doing this back then?

Live radio shows and jams from the studio 2004 - 2009 - streaming online... who else was doing it then?

DRIFT - Releasing 5+ hours of new music in 1 year - challenging the traditional album concept - and then they fulfil us with snippets of the past and new versions of old gems in between chapters.

Reflecting on this would probably make a good article on borndirty one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uw1.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	834.4 KB
ID:	482  
Old 11-29-2020, 05:40 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Live radio shows and jams from the studio 2004 - 2009 - streaming online... who else was doing it then?
Probably not many, although it's worth remembering that FSOL started doing that kind of thing in 1994.