Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:41 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Drift Episode 3 "HEART"
Ok, so Pinetum sounds different to me as well.i haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but some aspects of the percussion, layered voices, Rick's voice didn't register for me in the single download.

I was just going to buy Dune and burn it all with the free downloads, but if there are subtle additions beyond the length edits, maybe worth buying the whole 5 tracker.

Again, sum of the parts also very much more than individual tracks. I had a perception from the Atom release notes that some tracks were still works in progress or finalized late to meet the release dates. But in context, it all sounds deliberate, fairly polished and above all, cohesive. Had these been a new LP, I might be calling it brilliant. As they are semi experimental EPs, they're still pretty great, challenging in spots, familiar in others, enjoyable throughout.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:45 PM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Can you give me a timestamp for this? I'm either not hearing it or not understanding.
compare 0:04 of the EP version with 0:04 of the download version - the rhythm in the latter is more pronounced, as if the EP version takes longer to build up. it's very subtle but it's quite noticeable when you hear it
Old 05-03-2019, 05:36 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsgotsideburns View Post
compare 0:04 of the EP version with 0:04 of the download version - the rhythm in the latter is more pronounced, as if the EP version takes longer to build up. it's very subtle but it's quite noticeable when you hear it
Yup, you're right again. Rick has gone through and altered the drum track. What you're hearing at the beginning is that some elements are actually coming in later. There's a drum hit that starts immediately at 0:04 on the download version, but doesn't come in until 0:35 on the EP version. Additionally, the kick drum drops out at 5:00 on the EP version, but on the download version it continues until 5:31.

There are also some background synth sweep effects that are getting some different placement in the EP version. They kind of remind me of the sweeps in Dogman Go Woof. Anyway, they're used a little less often and in different places than the download version.

Listening to "how far do you want to go?" again, I'm pretty sure it's just some additional reverb effects, and no additional vocal layers. Also, the "Do you want to buy my car?" vocal has been mixed differently, with a mid-range monotone getting more emphasis on the EP.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:44 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
HEART is available in 24-bit now, at a pretty reasonable $14.99:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/dr.../fz977oxrfe1xc
It seems that if you add each track individually at $1.99 per track you can save almost $5. I already purchased it via iTunes since it's Mastered for such, but I just might pick up the 24-bit track of Dune.

Last edited by ultradave; 05-03-2019 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Quote correction.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:50 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Ok, so Pinetum sounds different to me as well.i haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but some aspects of the percussion, layered voices, Rick's voice didn't register for me in the single download.
I did an A-B of most of the track with headphones and it sounds like they're identical.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:20 AM
taotsu
taotsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
I was just going to buy Dune and burn it all with the free downloads, but if there are subtle additions beyond the length edits, maybe worth buying the whole 5 tracker.
I do think it's worth buying. Even though the changes may not be all that strong, the different lengths make it feel different (at least to me).
Plus and to me more importantly, I actually want to support them, with buying all the EPs.

Besides, was anything said anywhere, if there will be a break before Episode 4?

Also, am I the only one missing the sleeve notes? I really really enjoyed them for Episode 2!!!
Old 05-04-2019, 02:36 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by taotsu View Post
Besides, was anything said anywhere, if there will be a break before Episode 4?

Also, am I the only one missing the sleeve notes? I really really enjoyed them for Episode 2!!!
from underworldlive.com, the next episode begins Thursday 23rd May.
https://underworldlive.com/news/2019...isode-3-heart/

i'm also gutted that there are no sleeve notes this time around. i really wanted to see the recording process on this batch of tracks, but alas, the way they've been putting out these releases hasn't been entirely consistent. something i would've loved to have heard is the resolved tracks from episode 2 and onward to be mixed in a continuous fashion (similar to UoCWB > Dexters Chalk > ASW), but it hasn't happened. it definitely would've raised the incentive in waiting for or buying the resolved episodes. regardless, i'm still utterly thankful for the new music - i simply hope that part doesn't stop anytime soon
Old 05-04-2019, 02:01 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
I did an A-B of most of the track with headphones and it sounds like they're identical.
Thanks for checking. Chalk it up to my closer attention to the track in context rather than a singularity.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:35 PM
taotsu
taotsu

Quote:
from underworldlive.com, the next episode begins Thursday 23rd May.
https://underworldlive.com/news/2019...isode-3-heart/
Thank you! Strictly speaking as a UX designer, they do need a UX designer or anyone knowledgeable of information architecture. I always feel like I am on an easter hunt when looking through their site. I have totally missed all the news entries.

Quote:
i'm also gutted that there are no sleeve notes this time around. i really wanted to see the recording process on this batch of tracks, but alas, the way they've been putting out these releases hasn't been entirely consistent. something i would've loved to have heard is the resolved tracks from episode 2 and onward to be mixed in a continuous fashion (similar to UoCWB > Dexters Chalk > ASW), but it hasn't happened. it definitely would've raised the incentive in waiting for or buying the resolved episodes. regardless, i'm still utterly thankful for the new music - i simply hope that part doesn't stop anytime soon
True all that, but I feel they flow nicely.
And I am a bloody nerd, if they would offer a making off I would even pay for it.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:59 PM
purlieu
enofa

Yeah, the lack of sleeve notes is disappointing, although they really were just a nice bonus with episode 2 as much as anything. I'd love more extras, but they're giving us a ton of free music with the option to buy the final streamlined versions, it feels churlish to complain.