Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

BSS's Underworld Item of The Day:
Being as i am the 'numberonesuperfan'™ i thought i'd share some nuggets of wisdom with you and detail a specific collectable that may be missing from your collection, by sharing information about the rare bits in mine:

so here goes:

Collectable #1: A Hundred Days Off Sampler CD (V2DJ-27142-2)

This CD was issued by V2 in the US to promote the album A Hundred Days Off. It is a promo only 6 Track Sampler

Tracks:

1. Trim
2. Ballet Lane
3. Ess Gee
4. Twist
5. Sola Sistim
6. Two Months Off (Radio Edit)

Unlike almost every other Underworld music release since the MK II version of the band came in to existence around 1991, this release features a picture of the band on the front cover...which sort of makes this a unique release.

The CD is basically 60% of the full released album, except for the radio edit version of Two Months Off, (which features on all of the single releases). It comes in a Jewel case, and has quotes from Interview, Urb and Spin Magazines (all US based) on the back.

It is also intersting to see that the tracks appear in a different order on this Sampler than they do on the actual released album.

The CD itself is similar to the standard release, except for the larger font and 'sampler' wording.

Its a nice addition to a collection for the simple fact of the black & white picture on the front of Rick and Karl, which US radio DJ's prefer so they know who they are playing. Without photo's and PR, bands like Underworld would struggle to get airplay in parts of the US.

Year of Release: 2002

Current Price (Esitmated): £8 - £12

Desirability: 6/10 - you need this because its unique, but not if you are looking for tracks that you don't have.

Availability: 5/10 - its hard to get hold of these days, but its not that expensive really, as its basically a 'short' album and more like an ep and doesn't contain anything unique.

Picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1111.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	23  
Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 PM
votingfloater
waukrife

Re: BSS's Underworld Item of The Day:
That photo... what's going on there? Karl's looking a bit Billy-Corgan-panda-eyed.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:39 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Old 07-14-2005, 02:44 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

i got one of these. filthpunkdammit* hooked me up with one

*are you back on here yet filth?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
patrick
river

how many were made? is it hard to get a hold of because it is in high demand or because there were few (how many? ) copies made ?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:02 PM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick
how many were made? is it hard to get a hold of because it is in high demand or because there were few (how many? ) copies made ?
well i don't know actual numbers, but i'd estimate between 500- 2000 being made...these would have been sent out to radio stations, DJ's and stores in the US for Promotional purposes only...(no 12" / vinyl promo's were mailed - afaik)

"take a listen to this this is the latest Underworld album"

"mmm...i like that we'll stock it"

it rare in the UK because it never came out here, its rare elsewhere simply because of the nature of the cover and because it was a promo
Old 07-15-2005, 12:14 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

I have it
(btw Karl is wearing shades in that picture)
Old 07-15-2005, 02:37 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick

Old 07-15-2005, 03:41 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Collectable # 2: BORN SLIPPY 2003 Nuxx - Japanese CD promo Only - No Catalogue Number

1. Born Slippy 2003 (radio edit) 3:55
2. Born Slippy.NUXX (short version) 4:22
3. Karl Hyde Radio ID 0:09

This promo was issued in Japan only and only appears on CD, in a slim jewel case.

It contains the three tracks above and is purely and simply collecatble for the fact that it contains a short but fun Radio ID from Karl Hyde, which lasts all of nine seconds.

Radio Jocks play these ID's before a track, so as to appear that Karl was in the studio with the DJ. This one goes:

" Hi this is Karl from Underworld, with Born Slippy, its big, its banging, its noisy, its sesastional, its Born Slippy"

Karl says 'sensational' in a very 'smashy & nicey' way...

Both versions of the music tracks can be found eslewhere, but the ID is only on this promo as far as i know of. Also unique to this promo is the track listing appearing on the front of the CD Cover as well as on the CD itself. (its the standard black born slippy 2003 cover - with the addition of track text)

The inner cover also features, in Japanese, text details of the 1992-2002 album & 5 track Born Slippy CD single, plus Cat numbers and Japanese retail prices for these official releases (the track names are in English)

Year of Release: 2003

Current Price: £10-£15

Desirability: 7/10 - well its a rare track - that you won't get anywhere else if you liek these kind of things

Availability: 2/10 - i have only seen one more of these for sale...so its pretty rare in my opinion, although it doesn't go for silly silly money, but £10+ for basically a cd single is a bit much for some.

Picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0767.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	27  
Old 07-15-2005, 04:43 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Where do you get this stuff from? I know you said once or twice before you have a friend who can get you white labels of stuff, but where do you get Mexican banners of AHDo artwork?