Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2016, 08:36 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: 2016-04-13 Fox Theater - Pomona, CA
Nice one, Rioja! Yeah, a lot has changed since then, but these boards always see new life with a new album's release and tour.
Yep, still have RTSR Power On, a fine fan compilation. The dirty musician comps continued till 2012, I have em on my netlabel below.
Best of luck with the gig meetup. I last saw UW in NY in 2007, and wish I could travel this year to see them stateside. I'm sure folks here with more concerts under their belts my ght have some advice or stories. I just recall seeing R&K wandering around backstage a few hours prior to Showtime...I was interested in saving my space so I didn't venture closer to the roped off backstage.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Jram
river

God fucking dammit - I'm in CA next week, and fly home on the 12th. If I'd noticed this when I booked my flights last month, I'd have stayed to see them.

Big hairy baws. :-(

Last edited by Jram; 04-03-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Rioja
river

Holden -- thank you for that. I was a little afraid I'd get bashed around a bit, considering UW is not the kind of group that fosters rock-star idolatry. There's not even a music industry presence (thankfully). I remember an interview with Rick and Karl once where the former was asked what he thought of said industry and he admirably replied something to the effect of, "No idea, we don't know them." However, genuine and earnest praise does seem to be welcome, if what Karl says at 20:50 of this KCRW interview is any indication:

So, I just figure I'll try my luck and see what happens...

I am definitely interested in all the RTSR comps that have taken place over the years, so thank you for pointing me to your label. Very much looking forward to checking those out...

Do you know if Scott Warner is still around, by the way?

Jram -- is seeing if you can trade for another return flight an option? Sometimes airlines are cool with that, especially if your flight back is overbooked. Just an idea -- I've taken advantage of that once or twice in the past.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Jram
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioja View Post
Jram -- is seeing if you can trade for another return flight an option? Sometimes airlines are cool with that, especially if your flight back is overbooked. Just an idea -- I've taken advantage of that once or twice in the past.
I checked, but they've told me it will cost £258 to change my flight. Plus I'd have to pay accomodation, find a gig ticket, etc etc - not happening.

Frustrated as fuck, I'm going for Combichrist and was flexible with my travel dates. I've now filled my week with tickets for other bands I don't care about, when I could have caught Underworld again if I'd only known.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Rioja
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jram View Post
I checked, but they've told me it will cost £258 to change my flight. Plus I'd have to pay accomodation, find a gig ticket, etc etc - not happening.
Sorry to hear that - that sucks, man. That's a damned expensive flight change fee, but yeah I've experienced that a few times myself, as well. First time I ever did something like that, I remember it being no hassle at all, so that's the impression I was left with, thinking that any future attempts would also be no trouble. Of course, no, false first impression: basically anytime I've asked to do it from then on has been prohibitively expensive.

I'm guessing the New York date on the 20th is out of the question -- do you live anywhere near there?

If it helps, I've definitely been in a similar situation in the past, though this was due to just plain stupidity: I drove to L.A. to see Ministry (this was the "Fornicatour" for Animositisomina almost exactly 13 years ago) and I stayed out later than I should've at Amoeba Records and lost track of time.

By the time I got to the venue, the show had just concluded. It was a bit of an early night for a band like Ministry, but still, I should've known better. Very bummed.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Jram
river

Quote:
I'm guessing the New York date on the 20th is out of the question -- do you live anywhere near there?
I live in Glasgow, Scotland, so will have to make do with the two (admittedly outstanding) Roundhouse gigs in London - which I was at.

This is a somewhat impromptu trip to see one of my favourite bands, and I did have a wee look to see who else was playing (GNR, Iron Maiden, both sold out) but didn't even realise Underworld had announced any US shows.
So now it's also a trip to miss one of my favourite bands too.

As for your Ministry experience (if you like them I imagine you'd also like Combichrist?), I think I saw them here on that same tour. It was definitely around 2003. They're playing here again this August, presumably as part of a new world tour.

I can also match the complete-missing-of-a-band-you-badly-wanted-to-see, having once arrived in a venue just as Twisted Sister shouted "Good night!".
Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Any thoughts from anyone would be more than welcome, and again, I hope my lack of preference for GNR didn’t offend.
Guns N Posers I doubt you offended many if any here. Glad to have another veteran RTSR dirt here. I had a chance to meet R & K briefly back in 2010 at the 4th & B show in San Diego. That was an amazing night. Before the show, I was sitting at a pizza joint with a friend of mine and they just happened to be strolling back to the venue from who knows where. The excited kid in me jumped up and ran out to catch up to them, unfortunately I was totally out of breath and combine that with nervousness... I'm sure they thought I was crazy. But they were polite and we shook hands. I hope to someday have the chance to thank them proper for their art which I do very much appreciate.

Welcome and Cheers!
Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Rioja
river

JRAM said:

Quote:
I live in Glasgow, Scotland, so will have to make do with the two (admittedly outstanding) Roundhouse gigs in London - which I was at.
Ok well now I don't feel as bad for you. Here I was, thinking you hadn't seen them in years, and you just saw them twice! (Still a bit of a bummer, I'm sure, but you'll survive.) One of my goals is to see them at least once in their native land like you've done, though if we're going to get really technical, that would mean once in Worcester (for Karl) and once in Ammanford (for Rick). (Though I have no idea if those places actually have music venues.)

Quote:
This is a somewhat impromptu trip to see one of my favourite bands, and I did have a wee look to see who else was playing (GNR, Iron Maiden, both sold out) but didn't even realise Underworld had announced any US shows.
So now it's also a trip to miss one of my favourite bands too.
So I take it you're an Axl Rose fan? If so, sounds like he's going to be taking Brian Johnson's place in AC/DC. (No offense, but I don't see how anyone could take Brian's place. Not even if they resurrected Bon Scott. (But I'm sure that's tantamount to sacrilege to those Down Under.)) So when they inevitably tour the world again, you'll be able to see Rose sing some tunes that are better (on average) than most GNR songs. (Again, no offense, but I just think AC/DC is a better band. (And by his own admission in an interview I heard once, Richard Smith would apparently agree.))

And Maiden's English (as you undoubtedly know already), so you're sure to see Bruce again.

Quote:
As for your Ministry experience (if you like them I imagine you'd also like Combichrist?), I think I saw them here on that same tour. It was definitely around 2003. They're playing here again this August, presumably as part of a new world tour.
Yeah you know I think Combichrist is ok. Admittedly, I've only heard the stuff off of Everybody Hates You, which I've played frequently at some DJ gigs here in the States. (I had to: the owner of the place is a big fan.) But I think they're a little too obvious in their animosity sometimes and their use of the female Mac-voice is a bit... trite. And the rhythm programming is not quite as inventive as I'd like.

Ministry's a bit different in that Al Jourgensen has such a profound history of making music. In fact, it's hard to believe (at least for me) that he's now been doing it just as long without his former music partner (Paul Barker) as he had with him. And he's all over the place, musically: mandolins, harmonicas, pedal steels, sax, violin, etc. That, in addition to his industrial virtuosity with a trusty Les Paul and limitless electronic gadgetry. And he's just been around so long: he's our generation's Keith Richards. God knows "Uncle Al" should be all rights have died years ago with the things he's done.

Quote:
I can also match the complete-missing-of-a-band-you-badly-wanted-to-see, having once arrived in a venue just as Twisted Sister shouted "Good night!".
Twisted Sister? You're an odd one, you are. (It's a compliment; I regard myself the same.) Tell me, what do TS and Underworld have in common? (I'm asking you sincerely, here. Not joking or making fun.) Or do you appreciate the fact that to you they don't have anything in common, either?

With musical taste as disparate as yours, I don't think I'm going out on too much of a limb if I speculate you're a considerable Aphex Twin fan. (If so, same here. Definitely another very talented Richard.)

ULTRADAVE said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradave View Post
Guns N Posers I doubt you offended many if any here.
Actually, I think you may have offended Jram.

Quote:
Glad to have another veteran RTSR dirt here.
Thank you! I believe I remember you from back in the day, though I know you probably can’t say the same for me. I actually don’t think I was all that active, but yeah my claim to fame is that I’m on that Power On compilation as “Lifedownstairs”. There was also someone I think in the UK who got to have their own radio show for a night (this was back in February 2003 – don’t ask me how I remember) and, being an RTSR Dirt, it was of course very UW-inspired. Stuff from “Bootleg Babies” was definitely played and also a few tracks from that Power On compilation. I think that remains the only time I’ve ever been played live on-air.

Quote:
I had a chance to meet R & K briefly back in 2010 at the 4th & B show in San Diego. That was an amazing night. Before the show, I was sitting at a pizza joint with a friend of mine and they just happened to be strolling back to the venue from who knows where. The excited kid in me jumped up and ran out to catch up to them, unfortunately I was totally out of breath and combine that with nervousness... I'm sure they thought I was crazy. But they were polite and we shook hands. I hope to someday have the chance to thank them proper for their art which I do very much appreciate.
I was at that show! (Of course I was, being a San Diego Dirt.) But I think what you may have perceived as a wrong impression of you was likely just Karl feeling broken. I hear he was pretty ill (the bad kind) that night with what I think was a stomach flu. (Something he ate, I believe, though of course I don’t want to unfairly disparage local eateries.)

Regardless, you to me are one lucky gent, as I’m under the impression that such chance encounters of the wonder-duo are few and far between. I’m still wondering how early I should get in line for this show.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

In case this is new info, The Fox Theater webpage for the Pomona show currently shows doors open at 8:00pm.

http://www.foxpomona.com/events/detail/306438

--Jason
Old 04-06-2016, 09:57 PM
Rioja
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
In case this is new info, The Fox Theater webpage for the Pomona show currently shows doors open at 8:00pm.
Cool - thank you, Jason. My ticket does show that, but the site read that just because I have a "GA Floor" ticket does not necessarily guarantee me access to the floor.

Now, I'm not precisely sure what that means, but I assume it to signify that floor is first-come/first-serve. However, I don't know how early they're going to let people start lining up.

Anyway, before I waste any more of your time and mine with my senseless lack of brevity, I should probably just do the obvious thing and call the venue.