Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Yannick
Mew Mew

Re: Drift Ep. 2, Part 3 - Threat of Rain
i can hear the modular setup in this one :P lovely

would mix well into kos

Last edited by Yannick; 02-07-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:23 PM
darkvoice
mouseman

Almost the same length of this song (Paperclip People / Throw) ?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:27 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

This is probably the best of the Chemical Brothers soundalikes Underworld’s been doing recently. It’s probably unfair of me to characterize it like that but that band really owns those squelchy acid sounds, at least to my ears. This one sounded more like a hybrid. In a few more I think Underworld will find their own distinctive sound with this approach.

Karl remains the weak link on these new releases, though. When you listen to older stuff, even stuff as recent as Barbara, the lyrics can be sublime and tell a story; or at least give you enough to construct a story of your own. These recent releases just feel like random words thrown together; the kind of thing lazy journalists have accused Karl of doing for years.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Dirty Saint
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Karl remains the weak link on these new releases, though. When you listen to older stuff, even stuff as recent as Barbara, the lyrics can be sublime and tell a story; or at least give you enough to construct a story of your own. These recent releases just feel like random words thrown together; the kind of thing lazy journalists have accused Karl of doing for years.
Don't agree with that at all! Underworld have always been about the rambling, obscure lyrics …. only the 2 most recent album lyrics could possibly 'tell a story' - everything before that makes little sense
Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Saint View Post
Don't agree with that at all! Underworld have always been about the rambling, obscure lyrics …. only the 2 most recent album lyrics could possibly 'tell a story' - everything before that makes little sense
Oh, I don't know about that last statement. "Dirty Epic" and "Moaner" have as clear stories, or at least strong hints as does "I exhale" or "Nylon Strung", for instance.

Yeah, you could take the lyrics as rambling or cutup, or deliberate clues to a certain vibe from Karl's life in notes. Maybe we make our own interpretations here and there. Still, I think the point was the lyrics in the Drift releases have been, with the exception of Low Between Zebras", rather sparse and more often a few repeated phrases. But that's true of many classic UW tracks. "Bruce Lee" and "King of snake" aren't terribly verbose. And repetition of phrase is an Underworld staple.

Personally, I really love the edge to "He doesn't want to talk to annnyyyone!" on "Dexter's Chalk, which also tells a bit of a story, too!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Favourite song from the drift series so far.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM
negative1

to me, this is a standout track.

shades of the old underworld, with the song progression.

sure it could have more words. but i'll take it.

i don't expect everything to sound like this, but if they have more in
this direction, i wouldn't mind.

later
Old 02-07-2019, 02:57 PM
taotsu
taotsu

Bloody love it. And their description of
Quote:
sounds like a lost recording of a musique concrète symposium being broadcast from the DJ booth of the Omen
is super on point. The found sounds in mix in with analog synths and digital beats make this whole track super layered.
It also does remind me of stuff I’ve found on net labels like bumb foot.

As for Karl “only dropping 2 lines”: I can get a whole lot of emotion in there. And I personally have never seen Underworld as operatic or bombastic like some 70s progrog band.
If the lyrics make sense cool, if not also cool, if will always draw a picture in my mind.

The journey so far has been amazing, both Drift parts and in between releases. What a lucky time to be a fan.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:43 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by taotsu View Post
It also does remind me of stuff I’ve found on net labels like bumb foot.

As for Karl “only dropping 2 lines”: I can get a whole lot of emotion in there. And I personally have never seen Underworld as operatic or bombastic like some 70s progrog band.
If the lyrics make sense cool, if not also cool, if will always draw a picture in my mind.
Oh hey, i had a Bump Foot release some year's back! Nowhere in UW's league, but i agree with that assessment of the netlabel's aesthetic.

I don't think (anymore) that UW are a prog band, but they share the willingness to musically experiment, cross genres and care less for mas appeal and more for connecting with like-minded folks.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:33 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Drift 2 is killing it