Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 02:22 AM
Blueski
árni grétar

Send a message via MSN to Blueski
Re: OWB....best yet?
I think 'Beacoup Fish' is their best work. But 'OWB' is still a brilliant album.

And 'AHDO' was a good album -- maybe not great, but good.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:59 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

BF has a lot of great individual tunes, but never felt very cohesive as an album. OWB succeeds in conveying some sort of over-arching mood and vibe that harks back to the STITI and Dubno days. I'm really really enjoying OWB, and I think the only thing that's kinda holding it back is the fact that it's so short (meaning, some of the tracks are too short and could have been worked into even better things, and I think it would have benefited from at least one more "big" track (like Darc )
Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

on listening to the first half of the album, i was thinking 'brilliant; this is going right up there...' and then the wheels just seem to fall off. 'ring road'?!? c'mon - the 'describe a dreary southern highstreet' things been done to death (and done better) over the past few years - it's just a sub-the streets that i cannot believe made it onto an uw release. they should've given it to lilly allen.

a real shame; because the first half is pretty sublime stuff, knitting and building so much emotion and warmth into the rythms - but then it just seems to lose interest in itself and venture off into noodling (like 90% of ahdo) - it's like the tracks aren't finished, but got lost...

so no - not the best yet; but happily on the upswing after 'days' - stop getting bollocksed rog
Old 10-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

hmmmmm, i love "best mamgu ever" and faxed invitation
Old 10-21-2007, 02:36 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i dont agree with the half and half stuff. i think it's just punctured by the occasional misstep.

while ring road is interesting to me because of what it is, i dont think it's actually a good song. i'll always hate boy boy boy, beautiful burnout has great moments but i can't get behind it as something huge, and i think mamgu is pretty lukewarm.

the rest is pretty great to me. i love cuddle bunny. faxed and glam bucket are big favorites too
Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt
i'm guessing bolloxed
combination of everton v liverpool then Villa v man u then the rugby all in the pub

i still love the album though
Old 10-21-2007, 02:54 PM
the real stuff
falling off the world

The end of the album is my favorite. Starting with Cuddle Bunny which, for such a short and minimal track, is surprisingly beautiful.

I still haven't gotten into the first half too much. I will when I'm in a slightly more energetic mood.

The album sure has a lot of sides to it, and I think it features their most diverse sound to date. Ring Road is just fucking fun, and Boy, Boy, Boy sounds awful in the way Trim did the first dozen times I heard it. I like Trim now, so who knows.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:44 PM
gambit
magic city writer

Well, Rog is usually intoxicated.

STITI > Dubno > Pizza for Eggs > BF > OWB > AHDO
Old 10-21-2007, 04:18 PM
kid cue
ryooong

i hate "Ring Road." OWB is a charming record--i wish the whole thing were variations on "Faxed Invitation."

BF is still my favorite, and their best IMO. it still sounds so edgy today. everything else sans AHDO is matched at a very close second.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM
galama
mouseman

In my opinion, the problem with OWB are the fill-in gaps between full tracks. They disrupt the already unsteady continuum of the tracks on the album...which themselves vary strongly in concept, rhytm and style. The dirtyness of faxed invitation redeems OWB from its weakest link: boy boy boy.