Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Re: what do y'all think? (the atheism thread)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas_I_am View Post
One either closes their mind and say's "Nope! Not going to do consider it! Material Reason is the end all, be all" or they open their mind and pursue other means of contemplating 'God'.

The first will always draw the same conclusion - no God.
The second will always draw the same conclusion - God.

Each with an equal degree of certainty.
This seems to miss the fundamental point that whatever mathematical or philosophical approach you want to apply, we're still talking about a supposedly omnipotent being that has never provided a single shred of objective evidence to support it's existence. So how are we to suppose man even found out about a being that is unobservable and unknowable in the first place? Because god spoke to a few of them? In an ancient society where psychological disorders were a complete mystery, we're to take the words of people who heard voices in their heads so seriously that we've fought wars over them, repressed minority groups over them, murdered people over them, alienated people from their families over them, etc?

I'm absolutely open to considering theories, but they have to be based on SOMEthing legitimate. And ultimately, god's existence is based purely on anecdotal evidence from bronze and iron age people that's been handed down verbally, and through layer upon layer upon layer of translations over thousands and thousands of years. These are people who thought the world was flat, that sea monsters were a legitimate threat and that spitting on wounds was a legitimate medical treatment - and we're supposed to take the application of fractal geometry, number theory and relativity to the claims of these people seriously? And if we don't, we're being closed-minded?

Last edited by Sean; 03-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:27 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas_I_am View Post
You and froopy do not understand Plank's length.
As much as I don't grasp Planck length and everything it implies, you seem to have your troubles with words and transdisciplinary discourse. That's why I thank Deckard for his comprehensive clarification, most notably these points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
(Nor am I suggesting that the concept of infinity doesn't exist.)
And what's left can't just arbitrarily be called 'infinity'.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:23 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Look! I don't know why I thought about you guys and this, but here:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know...n-sports/8371/

Oh man, it's the video I'm referring to. No idea what they're on about in the reading bit.

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 04-04-2011 at 07:24 PM.