Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Underworld's recent tour/sets
Is it just me, or is this tour shaping up to rival the covetted 1998/99 sets? What made those shows so special, and the following years a little so, was the combination of great segues and an incredible mix of random and popular songs. It looks as though this is finally happening again, and with 2 more albums worth of material to choose from.

For anyone that's been to shows from both tours (98ish and 08) are you seeing similarities? Are you getting the same anxious feeling after each song ends and the mystery next song begins? I know I am, and I'm only reading the setlist.

I can't wait to see them again.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Underworld's recent tour/sets
No, it's not just you! i think a lot of us are getting those old shivvers. but then, seeing them live (finally!) last year, i got euphoric shakes with every tune, NUXX, TMO, PG, all the faves are amazing live.

I think since 2005, the shows have been recapturing the old magic...they started placing RiverRun tracks, Pricey's improv bits and the odd unreleased track ("Globe", "you do scribble") as well as oldies ("Spikee"), which really freshened things up after the repetitive AHDO sets.
Perhaps a few shows earlier on this tour were geting into a familiar groove, but yes, since this leg began, it's just amazing to see what gems they're pulling back out. The Misterons jam was a turning point, i think.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

I am soooo excited about the Roundhouse gigs! We are being spoiled - again
Old 02-08-2008, 08:45 AM
m.g.
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout
I am soooo excited about the Roundhouse gigs! We are being spoiled - again
Mmmm... having been in Köln, Brussels, Hamburg & Berlin, I can confirm that "spoiled" is the word
Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth
Is it just me, or is this tour shaping up to rival the covetted 1998/99 sets? What made those shows so special, and the following years a little so, was the combination of great segues and an incredible mix of random and popular songs. It looks as though this is finally happening again, and with 2 more albums worth of material to choose from.

For anyone that's been to shows from both tours (98ish and 08) are you seeing similarities? Are you getting the same anxious feeling after each song ends and the mystery next song begins? I know I am, and I'm only reading the setlist.

I can't wait to see them again.
It definitely seems that they are experimenting more on stage again. Bringing in some "random" old tracks definitely keeps things interesting, especially for long-time fans such as ourselves. The've added a load of new songs for this current tour, a lot of which have rarely or never been heard live before. from the top of my head I've heard (or seen in tracklists): Banstyle, Mowed Path, Air Towel, Holding the Moth (album version), Little Speaker, Spoonman, Deep Arch, BS original, Best Mamgu Ever, Cherrie Pie... not to mention unreleased tracks like Darc and Bamboo. That's probably a bigger amount of "new" tracks added than on any tour before.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

as per my latest email, LiveHereNow has just dispatched my 4 tour discs. I'm WAY more excited than I was to receive the last London discs even after hearing fans AND UW's manager say the second Roundhouse show was one of the best he's ever seen. I'm gonna be checking the mailbox like a madman next week.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:31 AM
gillenium

Quote:
as per my latest email, LiveHereNow has just dispatched my 4 tour discs. I'm WAY more excited than I was to receive the last London discs even after hearing fans AND UW's manager say the second Roundhouse show was one of the best he's ever seen. I'm gonna be checking the mailbox like a madman next week.
Be sure to tell us which one is best! I can only really afford to get one of them
Old 02-09-2008, 07:27 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

I'm sure its gonna take me awhile to decide which is best.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
negative1

no, i can't say that at all..

because if you look at practically every single concert
before this year...it was 90% of the same tracks,
in nearly the same predictable order, with the same
samples even.....yes, they had a few good shows in
there, and yes, they managed to throw in some nice
tracks every blue moon..but overall, it was very
underwhelming...

of course this year is a whole different story so far,
but i'm still looking at it statistically..(and yes, i did
see them twice last year also)..

later
Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Is it just me, or is this tour shaping up to rival the covetted 1998/99 sets?.
"this tour" meaning the 2007-2008 tour. "shaping up" meaning turning into the good ol' days.

EDIT: i don't mean for that to come off snobish. i meant that what i was proposing took into account that this tour started out generic but is turning into something that I can only compare to the late 90's sets.