Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:23 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Second Toughest In The Infants Deluxe/Super Deluxe 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by twicezero View Post
The Born Slippy ep was out waaaaay before trainspotting... right?
Yep. But as it was an EP, featuring non-album tracks, you certainly could say they were angling for a hit. A couple years later, that had it, oh how they had it!

i guess my point is, with all the NUXX versions, the extensive but pretty fixed set of lyrics (though the live versions do have an extra few lines), it seems they really loved this track, long before it became their signature tune. Unless there are reels of versions of many other tracks that we've not heard.

i find it interesting how tracks like "Always Loved a Film" and (You Do)"Scribble" and Biro the Leggy/"Beautiful Burnout take years to gel, and at what point do they decide it's done? Personally, i like the Silver Boots version of ALAF much more than the eventual official album release, and YDS is so much more emphatic than Scribble, but that's just me. As for NUXX, it seems like they solved the question of what parts to include fairly early, though samples and beats from the formative stage still crop up in live versions to this day.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:24 PM
negative1

ok, there's 2 recordings of born slippy with NUXX lyrics:

refer to here:
http://www.borndirty.org/forums/show...5&postcount=22

yes, t in the park was one of them, but it was in 1995.

(i'm trying to keep all the born slippy talk in that thread to make it easier to find)

later
Old 12-03-2015, 09:32 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

The biggest disappointment for me is Tin There which sounds more of a mess than ever. As soon as that "mesh" comes in, its just brick wall distortion all the way. The original version sounded warmer, with the softer drums slightly masking the distortion.

Just got around to listening to the B-sides disc, and you are so correct. "Tin There" sounds terrible now. Even though it's a heavy track with lots of loops piling up at once, all of them were still discernible on the Pearls Girl EP and Wipeout 2097. The "Remastering" of this track is textbook brickwalling.

Glad that the LP is now at a more consistent volume, but yeah, i agree with previous sentiments that there aren't that many revelation moments when you hear something for the first time that was hidden in the mix, as was the case with the dubno remaster. Disc 3 is the gem here, though.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:26 AM
ThingInABook
vision

what i'm missing from this re-release (i won't talk about the boxset yet, since I STILL DON'T HAVE MINE DAMN YOU HMV CANADA D:<) is the little odds and ends that the Dubno one had. For Dubno, we had a DAT tape with an alternative tracklist, proper demos and never heard before tracks. STITI only has 'excercises', with this i mean that they're proto versions of some tracks, a couple of tracks that could be demos and that's about it. The only thing that amazed me of the 3rd disc was the extended mix of Banstyle (the one that comes in the .NUXX ep), 4 crowns (too short, sad thing) and techno thang (which is good, but it sounds like someone was having fun with the desk). the other stuff is just leftovers.

now i see this thing as a rushed effort to add another boxset to the collection.

and i expect the Beaucoup Fish boxset to have proper demos (cape ffuno would be nice) and finished tracks. and the box has to be red. IT HAS TO BE RED.

Last edited by ThingInABook; 12-04-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:55 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...-fallon-watch/

Pitchfork gave it an 8.8 and said it's the best reissue of 2015
Old 12-04-2015, 03:42 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...-fallon-watch/

Pitchfork gave it an 8.8 and said it's the best reissue of 2015
not sure what that link is?

found it here: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...n-the-infants/

later
Old 12-07-2015, 09:49 AM
pandamagic
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...-fallon-watch/ Pitchfork gave it an 8.8 and said it's the best reissue of 2015
pitchfork gives many reissues "best reissue" status in a year, not just one.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:30 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Whoops. Wrong link... Well at least one of my favorite bands isnt a glorified backing band for miley cyrus right now... :/
Old 12-09-2015, 08:05 AM
qirex
mouseman

Finally got my box set in the mail. It's a pleasure to finally be able to hold it in my hands even though I've been listening to it on Spotify since it's been released. The tracks sound incredible; definitely picking up on new little details here and there and after all these years I finally realized that this is my favorite UW album (& b-sides). Really hoping Beacoup Fish gets the same treatment.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:37 AM
titsmcgee852
river

Do the remastered tracks sound any better than the originals?