Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:24 PM
purlieu
enofa

Re: DRIFT Series 1 - New album, Nov 1, 2019
I wasn't just referring to Riverrun, but interviews in, I think, 2008, where Karl was talking about how these days it was easy to just knock out tracks, release them online and maybe a 12", and move on, without having to tie them to an album. People were expecting it to be You Do Scribble and Bamboo and stuff. And then it just never happened, and two years later we got Barking instead.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for bands to be doing this kind of thing, though. Lots of groups, right back to the '00s, said things like "we're not doing albums anymore" and ended up... carrying on doing albums. There have been relatively few groups who've realised that, actually, the 10 track 40-60 minute album every three years isn't a restriction anymore. So yeah, we have this, and Autechre's last couple of releases, and FSOL just being baffling with all their difficult-to-classify self-released things, but most other established artists still seem to be sticking to the old-fashioned ways still.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:00 PM
iamneorev
pants

I like albums though
Old 11-06-2019, 07:16 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Me too, I listen to this disc by disc, not all at once. (same with Autechre's latest, though lol @ even those being 2 hours apiece)

I do think they're getting away from the album 'format' (sampler aside) - it doesn't *quite* feel like Underworld just dropped 6 new albums, as the discs are structured differently than their LPs are (for example "Threat of Rain" is not something you'd ever hear on one of their albums). But that's sort of a good thing, like most people on this board I think the true spirit of Underworld comes through on the early EPs, the deep cuts, the Riverruns or that one track they played one time but for some reason never released. Drift is pretty much all stuff like that. To me the difference here is not so much the decision to just release everything as it is the decision to finish it all and let it stand on its own. When they announced this project I was worried that you'd hear a lot of stuff that sounded like demos or were incomplete (like the bonus material on the Super Deluxe albums) but the level of detail on these tracks is astounding. They don't necessarily feel like 'albums' in the vein of say BF or OWB but I think this approach plays more to their strengths.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:01 PM
iamneorev
pants

Oh, trust me, I have no problem with UW dumping 6 discs worth of music on us every other year whatsoever. Count me in.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:44 PM
aphasein
ping!

Send a message via AIM to aphasein
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
always thought the intention was to repackage it for the deluxe edition of either AHDO or (more likely) OWB. perhaps they want to spend some time to remaster them? because they still do sound like lossy MP3s with some notable audio glitches. maybe the wavs sound better.

still remember around the time of Draft 7.30 when half of their fans were patiently waiting for them to make accessible music again
Ha! Glad to see some Autechre shout outs in this community - my other favorite group as well since '97, though UW was first in '96 and still tops the list.

Hope we hear about plans for AHDO and OWB sets before too long, and they are still in the works during Drift Series 2 time period.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:34 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I have a few notes. First, "Doscentitos" was indeed a typo. The correct title, Doscientos, has been pushed out to all digital services now. Not sure how it's going to show up on the box set though.

Speaking of the box set, the signed and numbered copies were limited to 650 copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
That is only the Sampler, and I think the exclusive part of it (as opposed to buying 24-bit files at Qobuz or wherever) is the PDF booklet? I'm not sure if that's different from the box set booklet though.
So, the exclusive part was going to the 24-bit audio. But the label insisted on 24-bit being available elsewhere. So, the "exclusive" thing has been corrected on the UW Store and removed from the listing, and it also has the correct cover art to indicate the Sampler now too. But, AFAICT, the PDF is not available elsewhere.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Vancouver
river

Thanks for the updates.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:31 AM
Dino3D
pants

I'm still waiting for my CD copy. Is the booklet the same as the vinyl's inner sleeve graphics?
Old 11-10-2019, 08:03 PM
saintrik
temperature drops

Seems odd at this late stage - but I don’t think we’ve seen any samples of what the physical box set is going to look like...

Has anything surfaced yet?

UPDATE: Simon Taylor says photos of the box set are coming soon - once they receive it.

Last edited by saintrik; 11-11-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:53 AM
saintrik
temperature drops

Received my copy of the Japanese 2CD edition of the DRIFT Series 1 Sampler Edition.

Track list and times are as follows:
DISC 1
Appleshine 8:37
This Must Be Drum Street 4:26
Listen To Their No 5:44
Border Country 6:51
Mile Bush Pride 1:34
Schiphol Test 4:43
Brilliant Yes That Would Be 6:04
S T A R (Rebel Tech) 3:45
Imagine A Box 6:02
Custard Speedtalk 9:45

DISC 2
Low Between Zebras 2:38
Toluca Stars 9:56
Doris 4:13
A Moth At The Door 1:49
Dune 10:27
Hundred Weight Hammer 3:58
Do Breakers Trip 3:19
Molehill 5:36

The second CD is also a continuous mix (similar to the standard Sampler Edition) hence the different track times. IMO, it works really well as a mix.

The release comes in a trifold wallet case with a small sticker, the standard english insert (I'm assuming...) and a second insert with the lyrics for Disc 1 only.

The standard english insert is very different from the PDF booklet included with the official high-res download from the UW store, leading me to believe that the PDF mirrors the book included with the box set.

Last edited by saintrik; 11-11-2019 at 12:24 PM.