Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

fuck religion
the cause of all the world's ill's.....well, nearly all......
Old 09-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: fuck religion
Naaa. It's all above the LOVE Rog.

Seriously though, humanity will move on from religion when it's good and ready.

Small problem is, it may never be good and ready.

Perhaps our species' robotic successors will manage it in the next millenium? We apes just need to be able to hold off from destroying ourselves and the whole of civilization in the meantime.

And that's by no means guaranteed.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

You will go to hell with those thoughts. Repent now and Jesus our Lord will forgive you and shine light into your soul....leading you into enternal salvation. Amen.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Hey, it is mostly Islam and Christianity to blame. Buddhism and Taoism are pretty neat. >.>
Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 AM
Deckard
issue 37

True, of course there are gradations. I doubt anyone would deny that.

Also no question that there's a lot of good that comes from religion, and a lot of good people who are religious. (Mostly, it has to be said, the ones who don't take their holy book too literally.)

The problem is that 'the bad' is a natural end product of something fundamental about religion: the whole 'decision-making-based-on-unshakeable-faith-in-absolute-truth' thing. With the best will in the world, there is no escaping that.

And while there are other culprits in that regard (e.g. nationalism), religion really is unmatched in the scale and scope to which it personifies this mindset.

Ultimately, the closed-mind is the problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:45 AM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

I don't think that religion itself is to blame for all the worlds ills. For example, religion wasn't the cause of the WW1, WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War, Cold War, Desert Shield/Storm or the Iraqi War. You can say that Afghan War was started because of religion, but I think it was more about foreign policy and how the US used the Afghans to beat the Russians, then left them to fall into civil war.

Maybe you can say that during medieval times religion was the cause of wars, but even then it was mostly the Church deciding to reclaim the Holy Land, and the Popes that issued Crusades weren't doing it for religious means, but using religion to rouse the people - much like Al-Qaida is doing today.

Then you have the British Empire and colonialism, Napoleon and France, US and Native American's. Were these act's caused by religion?

I also don't think that religion will go away any time soon. I was initially going to say that it will never go away, but then I remembered that according to Islam, at the end of time it will be gone. This is when the Sun will rise from the West, which according to modern science won't be for a looooooong time.

With regards to mongoose, and I don't mean to be insulting or anything like that, but let me ask you this:

According to the definition of the Trinity - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, are one co-equal and co-eternal. This means that if one part of the Trinity ceases to exist, then all of them will cease to exist.

Therefore, according to Christianity, when Jesus died on the cross, God would have died. This creates a dilemma according to Christianity because Christians also believe that God is eternal and can not die. This leads to the illogical - such as that Jesus was human and God, and when you inquire about this with Christian theologians, eventually you get to the point where you are told that you 'just have to believe' and that is 'the mystery of faith'.

So, my question is, if the concept of the Trinity is so important to the salvation of humanity, why isn't the word Trinity found anywhere in the Bible?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

adrian; in the next episode, jesus comes back to life!

organised religion is always going to cause inherant problems as soon as you have differences - it's human nature. religous belief is based on the fear that 'this is it, and this is all there is'. religion denies that, and says 'psssst. do x, y and z and you get eternal life. imagine that, eh?' however, when a bunch of people start to get told that doing a,b and c are the way to do it, fear sets in. 'i've been doing x,y and z and those a,b and c folk have to change because i'm too scared to contemplate them being right all along. they can't be - i've been told all my life. they're wrong. aren't they. best shut them up. HEY! SHUT UP YOU LOT! YOUR'E WRONG? WHAT'S THAT? NO, I WON'T SHUT UP!...' etc...

i see buddhism more as a nice way to go about your life, than a religion; but have issues with the reincarnation aspect. i think that stems from the same old fear...
Old 09-14-2010, 09:06 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
i see buddhism more as a nice way to go about your life, than a religion; but have issues with the reincarnation aspect. i think that stems from the same old fear...

Yeah! There aren't any hypocrite Buddha or Hindu following/practicing people, huh? And, in no way am I referring to you Mr. INN guy with my sarcasm there.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrh View Post
...because Christians also believe that God is eternal and can not die. This leads to the illogical - such as that Jesus was human and God, and when you inquire about this with Christian theologians, eventually you get to the point where you are told that you 'just have to believe' and that is 'the mystery of faith'.

So, my question is, if the concept of the Trinity is so important to the salvation of humanity, why isn't the word Trinity found anywhere in the Bible?
You're looking for logic in religion?
Old 09-19-2010, 03:04 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

we have to remember that religion, not G-d is what has caused so many wars, deaths, and so much pain and sorrow. G-d never once said in the bible or qu'ran "kill everyone who disagrees with you". In fact, let me quote this reading from Jonah from Yom Kippur, I really think it suits. Excuse the old English translation, there are many different translations, none of them exactly right, but this one keeps the story intact and it has a kind of rythymic flow to it.

And the word of HaShem came unto Jonah the second time, saying: 'Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and make unto it the proclamation that I bid thee.' So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of HaShem. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city, of three days' journey. And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he proclaimed, and said: 'Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.'

And the people of Nineveh believed G-d; and they proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. And the tidings reached the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying: 'Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing; let them not feed, nor drink water; but let them be covered with sackcloth, both man and beast, and let them cry mightily unto G-d; yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands. Who knoweth whether G-d will not turn and repent, and turn away from His fierce anger, that we perish not?' And G-d saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and G-d repented of the evil, which He said He would do unto them; and He did it not.

But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry. And he prayed unto HaShem, and said: 'I pray Thee, O HaShem, was not this my saying, when I was yet in mine own country? Therefore I fled beforehand unto Tarshish; for I knew that Thou art a gracious G-d, and compassionate, long-suffering, and abundant in mercy, and repentest Thee of the evil.

Therefore now, O HaShem, take, I beseech Thee, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live.' And HaShem said: 'Art thou greatly angry?' Then Jonah went out of the city, and sat on the east side of the city, and there made him a booth, and sat under it in the shadow, till he might see what would become of the city.

And HaShem G-d prepared a gourd, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shadow over his head, to deliver him from his evil. So Jonah was exceeding glad because of the gourd. But G-d prepared a worm when the morning rose the next day, and it smote the gourd, that it withered. And it came to pass, when the sun arose, that G-d prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and requested for himself that he might die, and said: 'It is better for me to die than to live.'

And G-d said to Jonah: 'Art thou greatly angry for the gourd?' And he said: 'I am greatly angry, even unto death.' And HaShem said: 'Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow, which came up in a night, and perished in a night; and should not I have pity on Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than six score thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand, and also much cattle?'

This is one example of how humans think so much differently than G-d does... and on several occasions such as this one, he tried to communicate that mercy and love, not revenge and hate, is the most important thing. Sadly, people have twisted the words of G-d into something they are not to serve their own means.