Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Caprice
pants

best new electronic act out now?
I left the electronic scene a couple years ago with the appreciation of zeppelin and jimi hendrix. coming back into it now, i have my friends here telling me of this new genre called "Dubstep." They ALLL let me listen to at least 5 bands a piece of electronic music where i say "no this is more X, or no this is more X, etc." I enjoy who they're playing me, the music is alright, but i haven't cared about this "new generation" we'll call it, hardly at all yet. I've just vaguely gotten into Animal Collective and Panda Bear (who I respect and enjoy their music a lot), but all this labeling of genres has gotten me confused, especially when they call it this new name, i listen to it and im like, no this has already been done.

SO,

which new electronic act in the past 5 years is the best right now?
and when i ask best, im asking for music that 5 years from now people will still be listening to. 10 years from now even.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Re: best new electronic act out now?
Burial
Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

yea - got to agree about Burial as well.... and if you kinda dig Panda Bear, you'd at least like Burial's ambient stuff as well

if you're getting into Dubstep now - I'd really recommend the "5 Years of Hyperdub" label compilation (it's also Burial's label).

I dig some of Kode9's stuff... but it can be a bit hit and miss

you're also totally right about the "new labels for old stuff" deal...

and after I saw Boys Noize at Coachella a couple of years ago, I completely fell in love with his music. Although - I will give you... his stuff works better in the context of a live show than as "an album listening experience". Completely different than Burial - he really reminds me of old-old Daft Punk

also of a side note: not necessarily "electronic" but seeing as you mentioned Animal Collective, you might want to check out Grizzly Bear ("Yellow House" or the "Friend EP")
Old 02-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Flying Lotus is fairly good... Burial pretty much took the biscuit when they came out - pretty amazing. The Hyperdub label itself is fairly good and seems to do no wrong with every release.

Martyn had a great album last year... whether it will be around in 5 years who knows..

I am a big fan of Lee Jones and MyMy... that whole german minimal house... also Monolake are pretty good too in my opinion.

I think though when you look at electronic music these days (and when i say electronic I dont mean pop-electronic: I dunno... sorta Delphic would be right on the edge of this definition) it has become far more underground. So when you discover something good.. its usualy fairly out there in terms of creativity and inventiveness... because most of the artists are aware that they are preaching to a more select audience... as a result it tends not to be as cohesive as what has come before... thus it is hard to compare 90's Electronic music to todays Electronic music... so there is no real big thing anymore... there is just lots of real hard working producers with real specific challenging sounds...

... wow... sounds a little depressing haha
Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Actually now that i look at what you were saying... "caring" for any of the new music i have heard recently seems unlikely... definitely not in the way i would appreciate Leftfield or Underworld.. perhaps with the reliance on digital media and computers these days the personal touch has been lost.

What I really CARE for at the moment is stuff like Gil Scott Heron's new release... some new Jazz releases...

I will perhaps never feel that pure sense of awe with Electronic must than I do when you see Jimmy Page let rip... or Rory Gallagher roar into an awesome solo... Underworld bring that... they have a "real" element in Karl and their method of recording and sampling and performing... but Flying Lotus? Deadmau5? I mean... there is some disconnection there.. that even I as a producer am willing to admit and something that doesnt sit right with me...

...here i am at 2am rambling again.... but I must thank you for the question. It has gotten me thinking..

EDIT::

Actually I have to say i really do care for Susumu Yokota's work lately... Sakura was an amazing release, "Mother" his most recent is quite good too with some nice tracks... also "Distant Sounds of Summer" is a must have if you like his ambient sound. Though I still wouldnt say this is mainstream enough to call "big"...

...Im afraid everyone has a different favourite these days ... spoiled for choice!

Last edited by Dunwho; 02-08-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Mike
born013

Im really digging 'Motor City Drum Ensemble'

MySpace

Quite a 'Soul Techno' vibe here, a fresh sound for retro ears.

Ive played a few of his stuffs on my dancecast show on dirtyradio, could be a breakthrough year for him and his sound.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post
Actually I have to say i really do care for Susumu Yokota's work lately...
Yeah that satsuma bloke is okay. A good chance to plug our 2009 Review Show then dave?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Leon
bungalow

Personally, I find Strategy the most interesting electronic artist at the moment. Future Rock is my favorite album of his, although this album is not that comparable to his other material. His other material has less beats and uses field recordings. I love Strategy's music because the ambience is not really "warm" and smooth, but can be really cold and alien (in a great way). His recordings sound really unique and I really can't compare it to any other artist.
Thanks to Dirty (was it Scott Warner) who pointed me to this artist.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:24 AM
jose m
pants

[QUOTE=Dunwho;119265]
I think though when you look at electronic music these days (and when i say electronic I dont mean pop-electronic: I dunno... sorta Delphic would be right on the edge of this definition) it has become far more underground. So when you discover something good.. its usualy fairly out there in terms of creativity and inventiveness... because most of the artists are aware that they are preaching to a more select audience... as a result it tends not to be as cohesive as what has come before... thus it is hard to compare 90's Electronic music to todays Electronic music... so there is no real big thing anymore... there is just lots of real hard working producers with real specific challenging sounds...

sounds about right to me.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Yeah that satsuma bloke is okay. A good chance to plug our 2009 Review Show then dave?

How silly of me!