Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > static.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:28 PM
bas_I_am
vision

crapple whycloud
So someone please fill me in on whats so cool about crapples whycloud???

I've been streaming my home music library over the internet for almost 5 years now using windows media services.
I've been opening docs from over my secure home vpn for almost 10 years using windows RRAS.

and it looks like they ripped off the wifi sync from this poor bloke:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_873960.html

Last edited by BrotherLovesDub; 06-10-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: crapple whycloud
Must admit, while I normally dismiss most of your 'crapple' posts as the anti-matter equivalent of an Apple fanboi, in this case I'm inclined to agree with you. What exactly is the groundbreaking significance of iCloud? Anyone?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I have no idea what you two are on about, yet again.

All I know is when I opened an iTunes account and there were a couple of windows that I just accept(click), accept(click), accept(click) THEN I saw that iTunes was uploading my entire music library to their site(or something like that) FOR FREE, I canx the upload & stopped using it entirely. I mean, I have rare stuff, some stuff directly from some artists themselves who entrusted me with their sh. And I'm sorry, but artists can be some crazy B's if you mess with their sh. I mean, like, scary crazy . . .

Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

a business using hyperbole to sell a product? what are the odds?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 PM
bas_I_am
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ View Post
I have no idea what you two are on about, yet again.

All I know is when I opened an iTunes account and there were a couple of windows that I just accept(click), accept(click), accept(click)
And i bet you didnt even read what you were accepting, did you. . .
rut-roh. . gonna come get you to be the middle of the cent-iPad!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Mike
born013

Its just simply a service that allows you to use any of your iTunes library on any apple device. Its a benefit if you have, lets say 20,000 songs, and you can't fit them all on your iPad or iPhone or iPod, it will allow you to reach them in the iCloud... initially through Wi-Fi, but potentially through 3G etc.. in the future.

Apple are investing heavily in this because they believe that this is how we will reach our music in the future.. instead of physical downloads of products, we source them from the cloud.

This could be another shrewd move by Apple. When they introduced iTunes, people said "oh we don't need another music player or mp3 shop".. but now iTunes the world's most popular music library.

Apple are good at understanding the market, and producing great looking products that work. They are also good at looking at existing product on the market, and wrapping them up in more "user friendly" packaging and targeting their customers.

And so what if they ripped off "Wi-Fi sync"? That's the fault of the guy not patenting his design, his loss in the cut-throat world of business.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:54 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

i think the apple service is, of course, a rip off, because you have to pay $20 a year to listen to music you've already bought.

but here's the whole point of the cloud:

-for the most part, everyone has basically the same versions of tracks on their iTunes... if they have "Underworld — Kittens — Beaucoup Fish (1998)", you've got like a million different mp3 copies of the same track floating around out there. hard drive space is limited. so the cloud was developed so you can have one copy of the song in a hard drive somewhere and everyone can access it, freeing up hard drive space for everyone and not having to worry about the file being lost or corrupted if you transfer the disc wrong, lose the CD, your computer gets dropped in a pitcher of beer, etc. in addition, when higher internet speeds become available, they'll switch to a lossless version of the track, and nobody will have to download anything— it'll just automatically be in your library.

the same thing goes for all cloud computing in general— all applications, etc. will be hosted on remote servers, and you'll never have to download another update, because they'll just update the application on that one server and everyone automatically gets it. the only thing that stays on your computer are the personal files you make with the applications.

the reason this is just coming out now is because we actually have internet speeds high enough to pull it off. they've been thinking about it since the internet got going in the mid 90s.

the only downsides are this: first, if your internet goes out you're screwed. second, privacy rights. you don't have any choice in whether to update or not, so using an older version is out, and also and you're kind of at the whims of the cloud when it comes to whether they want to copy down those files you're making with those applications, your keystrokes, etc. the privacy issue is kind of scary and i'm curious to see how and if they're going to pull this off without taking everyone's privacy and tossing it out the window.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think the apple service is, of course, a rip off, because you have to pay $20 a year to listen to music you've already bought.
No, you don't have to pay anything to listen to music. What you pay for is the service of iTunes matching the songs you have ripped or downloaded (legally or otherwise) and matching it in 256AAC, so you can access it with any of your Apple devices. If you have purchased songs in iTunes, then they are matched for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the privacy issue is kind of scary and i'm curious to see how and if they're going to pull this off without taking everyone's privacy and tossing it out the window.
Eh? If you want to remain private, stay off the internet. I guess that's another topic, along with "Facebook keeps showing people my pictures of me that i post in the public domain".
Old 06-11-2011, 01:22 PM
bas_I_am
vision

You dont need to explain to me what the cloud is.

The point is, if you need a cloud to stream your entire music library to yourself, you are too stupid to own a computer.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

you know what i hate? Sony. You know what i do when i see a post about a new Sony product? I ignore it.